British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

NSS - South Stand

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

I bet "One" used to go to "Ones" local track though.....

Took her kids too probably...:D

As for Mort, and Dave Gordon, their legacy is quite conceivably the best race track in the world..

Even if it isnt officially recognised, that will always be the case..

I'm sure I've seen her at Lynn while she's been staying at Sandringham, wading through the puddles in the back straight car park and queueing for a burger and a pint during during the interval. I wonder if she pays the extra pound to sit or likes to stand on the bends and get a scalp full of shale? 

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Mort and Gordon’s efforts over a period of years were enormous. The way they were treated was disgraceful.

Wasnt there some "plan" devised to try and get the NSS into the hands of some existing promoters?

But Mcr Council didnt fancy taking up that option...

Hence Adrian Smith and his backers were given the Green light..

21 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure I've seen her at Lynn while she's been staying at Sandringham, wading through the puddles in the back straight car park and queueing for a burger and a pint during during the interval. I wonder if she pays the extra pound to sit or likes to stand on the bends and get a scalp full of shale? 

Maybe when the Monarchs were there? 

Or Crewe Kings? :D 

• Haha 1

The more you hear about the cronies that make up the BSPL Ltd. the more I wonder whether they are the root cause of British Speedway's continuing decline ?

We have the crook at Eastbourne who has disappeared owing riders thousands of pounds getting off scot free, and been instrumental in getting Eastbourne Speedway closed down   ... yet Chris Morton is banned from being a promoter for ..... being involved in building a Nation Speedway Stadium, which the BSPA frankly showed no interest ! 

• Like 2

Maybe call the stand the legends stand and do a online vote to establish ten riders who deserve a place and have ten large photo boards mounted in the stand. 
be handy if you are meeting someone at the stadium as you can say I’ll be in the south stand in the Chris Morton section. 
a club of such heritage in a modern stadium should remember the history like they do for Peter craven. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, mikebv said:

Wasnt there some "plan" devised to try and get the NSS into the hands of some existing promoters?

But Mcr Council didnt fancy taking up that option...

Hence Adrian Smith and his backers were given the Green light..

That is what I heard as well. I put it down to pure jealousy and wanting to grab the soils after someone else had done all the work. To get a council, even a big one like Manchester, to fork out 5 million, or whatever the cost was, was amazing. It was the councils contractor that messed up bends 3/4 that caused the first meeting, Peter Craven Memorial, with all international top stars there to be called off.  BV lost a fortune that day that hit the finances very badly. I still waiting for the book telling the truth about what was going on.

don’t suppose Gordon or Mort read these posts hear but it would be good if do to find out the truth of what happened. I were told after they fell out at the end they don’t speak which if true is a bit sad with what they achieved for BV and the sport.  See these links in the paper about the track. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/speedway/belle-vue-aces-chris-morton-12139248&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjVz87Dz5_1AhUUSPEDHZCrBD0QFnoECAkQAg&usg=AOvVaw2Bs7mH6ny3e9s5-9-VgLjF

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/belle-vue-aces-bosses-say-12129749

All the five-1 shows are on Spotify…..The Five-1 speedway show in search……the 2 Chris Morton ones are there

I'd already seen Pt1 of the Chris Morton episode and viewed Part 2 last nite.  2 quick points Morton & Gordon did AMAZINGLY well to deliver the fantastic NNS, it must be gutting beyond belief how certain things panned out, blooming well done Mort & Gordon you should feel so proud :party:.  Also, I'm not in the last bit surprised it took 10 years (or whatever Chris said) to finalize the project.  Nutshell: (without compromising myself) obtaining finance and securing a suitable site is almost the easy part of building a new speedway, even just 'a track in a field' facility, and there is nothing at all wrong with that, let alone a full-on stadium.  Smaller nutshell: it would be (much) easier to take up the hurdles in the Olympics or a hoop-jumping event B).  Still, the NSS is here, still flipping brilliant and one day I promised to take my lazy carcass along to enjoy the experience myself.  One day....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling