British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

SIGVART PEDERSEN, Norway

Just wanted to jump in before anyone else did!

I thought he was a very underrated rider, hampered by injury. He impressed me at Plough Lane.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

What happened to prompt this post Steve-did he just die?

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

What happened to prompt this post Steve-did he just die?

No Bob. It just seems that posting about miscellaneous riders is the thing to do on here at the moment. I didn't want to feel left out...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Steve, think he just rode in the UK in 1980 then disappeared from view. Is that the case?

24 minutes ago, prodons said:

Steve, think he just rode in the UK in 1980 then disappeared from view. Is that the case?

From Arnie`s excellent book " tears and glory"

On May 7th the new Reading signing for 1979 Siggy  broke his leg in a 2nd half at Exeter. he did not reappear until the start of 1980 when after 3 early season challenge appearances for Reading he drifted on to  Eastbourne and then Wimbledon. Pedersen`s 1979 form was ambiguous - just a point from 6 away matches and a healthy 6.09 average from his 7 home fixtures.

Edited by racers and royals

Never heard of him. Had he achieved something beforehand like a good performance in the Norwegian championship ? Recommended by another rider? But Reading we’re not alone at the time in signing hopefuls that were disappointing 

Edited by iris123

Sigvart Pedersen appeared only twice in the Norwegian Final, finishing eight in 1977 and fourth in 1978

He was third in the Norwegian Pairs Final of 1978 (with Thoralf Holen, representing NMK Grenland)

He scored one point in his only appearance for Norway in the World Team Cup of 1978

• Like 1

Was it that by the early 70s the Norwegian wave had pretty much passed. I can only off the top of my head think of Kylingstad and Holta afterwards that made any great impact in the following 40 years

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Was it that by the early 70s the Norwegian wave had pretty much passed. I can only off the top of my head think of Kylingstad and Holta afterwards that made any great impact in the following 40 years

Lars Gunnestad

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Lars Gunnestad?

Edit: Beaten to it by Arnie!

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Lars Gunnestad

Must admit i had a break from speedway after 1977 until 1983 when i slowly got back into the sport again. lthough i did go to the ocassional meeting during those years. Mostly the National League riders championship, and one England v USA test. So there are quite a lot of riders during that period i haven't heard of.

Gunnestad also i think came during my next perdiod away from the sport after the Dons originally closed, as did Kylingstad, so Holta is the only one i really have much of a memory of after the Lovaas, Eide , Stangeland period. Have seen a number of less successful riders though (Rune Sola,, Glenn Moi ) this Century in Denmark. None so far have made an impact of the sport, but see Fredriksen has signed up somewhere

You really didn't miss much in the way of Norwegians, but here were a couple who failed to make any impact. Jorn Haugvalstad rode four meetings for Halifax in 1980 - without scoring a point. Trond Skretting did a little better, averaging 3 1/2 points a meeting for Wolves in 1979, and having a few outings for Halifax in 1981.

1 hour ago, chunky said:

You really didn't miss much in the way of Norwegians, but here were a couple who failed to make any impact. Jorn Haugvalstad rode four meetings for Halifax in 1980 - without scoring a point. Trond Skretting did a little better, averaging 3 1/2 points a meeting for Wolves in 1979, and having a few outings for Halifax in 1981.

And of course there was that loony Tormod Langli at Halifax and I think Bristol before then in the mid '70's. Rather robust style but I think his main claim to fame was breaking his arm hang gliding

54 minutes ago, Shrub said:

And of course there was that loony Tormod Langli at Halifax and I think Bristol before then in the mid '70's. Rather robust style but I think his main claim to fame was breaking his arm hang gliding

Dammit! I forgot about him! He was never a world-beater, but he was surprisingly decent. He averaged just under 5 in his first year at Newport, and the next three he averaged from 6.39 to 7.29. Very good second-string, verging on heat-leader in 1979.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 12:58 PM, racers and royals said:

From Arnie`s excellent book " tears and glory"

On May 7th the new Reading signing for 1979 Siggy  broke his leg in a 2nd half at Exeter. he did not reappear until the start of 1980 when after 3 early season challenge appearances for Reading he drifted on to  Eastbourne and then Wimbledon. Pedersen`s 1979 form was ambiguous - just a point from 6 away matches and a healthy 6.09 average from his 7 home fixtures.

Vaguely remember him riding for Eastbourne when the promotion seemed intent signing relatively unknown foreigners.