British Speedway Forum
Trees

Lewi Kerr Testimonial at King's Lynn 20.3.22

I get people's moaning, especially at £20 a pop but in all truthness, there's never been a Testimonial in any sport that's generally 'Top Draw'. 

It's about the rider & blowing out cobwebs. 

If you want decent racing, don't do Testimonials. 

Hope Ritchie Worrall and Jack Thomas are ok. Jake Mulford certainly appears to have something about him, hopefully he can get some regular speedway somewhere to continue his development. 

I didn't think the racing was too bad, I'm guessing the bored comment refers to the meeting taking over three hours but that was always going to be the case with 25+ races. We had grading and some watering after every 5 heats, not excessive for me.

44 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Hope Ritchie Worrall and Jack Thomas are ok. Jake Mulford certainly appears to have something about him, hopefully he can get some regular speedway somewhere to continue his development. 

I didn't think the racing was too bad, I'm guessing the bored comment refers to the meeting taking over three hours but that was always going to be the case with 25+ races. We had grading and some watering after every 5 heats, not excessive for me.

Think it makes it seem worse due to how cold it is… i went to Josh Auty’s the day before and there was hardly any hold ups it was so cold every tiny thing seemed so much worse!! (Even the riders coming round celebrate was starting to annoy haha)… Rob Godfrey introducing the riders was like a form of torture 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Think it makes it seem worse due to how cold it is… i went to Josh Auty’s the day before and there was hardly any hold ups it was so cold every tiny thing seemed so much worse!! (Even the riders coming round celebrate was starting to annoy haha)… Rob Godfrey introducing the riders was like a form of torture 

It turned a bit chilly as it got dark but I was surprised how mild it was, the AFA can be baltic but there wasn't much wind, my toddler and I took various clothes and layers we didn't need. As DS has said I don't think people should go to a testimonial expecting great racing or a quick meeting and bearing that in mind I quite enjoyed it, I certainly didn't hear any moaning but you will always get unsatisfied customers however good something is.

14 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

I get people's moaning, especially at £20 a pop but in all truthness, there's never been a Testimonial in any sport that's generally 'Top Draw'. 

Around 25 races  instead of 15 for the normal entry fee. As you say a lot of riders use it to sharpen up. But great value . A big crowd for Lewi, although a pretty quiet one, compared to a league meeting.. But  I must be getting old, i was frozen from about 5pm :unsure:

Klint looked good riding one of NKI's bikes for the day..

Edited by Bald Bloke

Really happy than Lewis had a reasonable turn-out and hope he is well rewarded for his efforts.

I was just pleased to be back at speedway and didn't expect riders to put it all on the line for a testimonial so no real complaints about the racing, but when you have been there for an hour and seen more tractor laps than speedway thats not great.

Why did we have to have so much track work after only five or so heats - I thought it didn't help the racing and was far too long.

Saw lots of people leaving early but no reflection on Lewis or the riders, just a long time for some parents and kids to be out in the cold

16 minutes ago, glenantony said:

Really happy than Lewis had a reasonable turn-out and hope he is well rewarded for his efforts.

I was just pleased to be back at speedway and didn't expect riders to put it all on the line for a testimonial so no real complaints about the racing, but when you have been there for an hour and seen more tractor laps than speedway thats not great.

Why did we have to have so much track work after only five or so heats - I thought it didn't help the racing and was far too long.

Saw lots of people leaving early but no reflection on Lewis or the riders, just a long time for some parents and kids to be out in the cold

There was a stock car meeting the night before. So limited time to prepare it i guess? There wasn't the amount of shale  there usually is, and with the weather/ less shale , the track  was drying out faster than usual maybe.

Or it might have been that the riders wanted to stay safe so it was prepared with that in mind. Who knows. Agree it was bloody freezing.

My take is that the shale used at Lynn is of course heavier and more clay based than elsewhere due to the stocks and if it wasn't graded you'd just have one mega fast line out wide. It's not ideal but it is what it is and if they get on with the in between races like they did last night it's not a massive issue. 3 hours or so for 27 heats isn't too bad although it turning chilly doesn't help people's mood I admit!

• Like 1

Buster is addicted to tractors it seems to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Buster is addicted to tractors it seems to me.

Yeah I think you're right, it's nothing to do with racing surfaces etc he just likes burning diesel by going round and round in circles :blink:

16 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Yeah I think you're right, it's nothing to do with racing surfaces etc he just likes burning diesel by going round and round in circles :blink:

That's what it seems like to me. Same at Peterborough when he gets the chance

15 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

At Josh Auty's Testimonial on Saturday, almost all of the riders were giving it a good go as if it was mid season, certainly no cobwebs.

There was plenty of decent racing with plenty of overtakes with only ONE grading required.

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

On Saturday, we had a GP style meeting with 23 heats plus junior & 250cc racing every 4 heats meaning 31 races in total in just about 2 1/2 hours.

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

He does it at every meeting and usually put's an extra half hour onto a meeting and if it's cold people get fed up and leave early, why can't he see that he's annoying people every week, might be why crowds are down.

19 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Hope Lewis  benefited greatly financially from this meeting. Perhaps things got better later on, possibly the most boring meeting I have ever been to, spectators all around were heard to say they are bored or fed up. Why I wonder does every meeting at Kings Lynn have have tractor endurance events. Hope you did well Lewis  but very poor fare IMO spectator wise.

I know exactly what you mean about the tractor endurance events i suffer it every meeting, getting a bit fed up with it to be honest. I wonder if it is really necessary to do so many laps.