British Speedway Forum
Trees

Lewi Kerr Testimonial at King's Lynn 20.3.22

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Has anything changed from last season? Is it now covered? Is there now cushions?

No

On 3/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, Bagpuss said:

Agree about the blocked entry/exit for the back straight car park, me and lots of other cars drove to that gate with no indication it was no longer in use which meant everyone using the same entrance and then cars and pedestrians both using the same path between the two car parks which is hardly the safest situation. I left before the final race but can imagine it was carnage trying to get out. 

I thought the guy on the mic was OK later on but he had a very dodgy/nervous start. Another of things about Lynn speedway need polishing and sorting from a customer servce/experience point of view, that's been the case for a few years unfortunately. 

I used to enjoy Mike Bennett on the mic in years gone by.

On the point about leaving, this seem to be the case everywhere now - I don't know if people have a fear of being held up by what, 10 minutes maybe but it is the same at Foxhall where crowds gather at the exit gate ready to sprint away after the first lap of heat 15.  I wait until it's finished and drive out no trouble, ok there may be a slight queue for 5 minutes.  This is the same whether the meeting finishes at 9.20 or 9.50 so cannot relate to them 'having an appointment to make'.  Human behaviour is sometimes puzzling.

Edited by SPEEDY69

I was happy to pay the prices for Lewis Kerr meeting. Programme was much better than what King's Lynn did last year for league matches which was poor by any standards. I saw that it came near bottom of the Speedway Star programme of the year awards which was no surprise. £2.50 for a cup of tea - teabag and hot water + splash of milk - at the AFA is far too much. Heading towards Costa's prices

2 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Now living in Australia. Did you sit in what he called the 'royal box' as he called the grandstand without a roof!? Agree, Mike Bennett did a good job and I liked his names for the riders - Chris 'milk it' Millsy sticks in my mind. It built things up a treat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FromBendThree said:

Now living in Australia. Did you sit in what he called the 'royal box' as he called the grandstand without a roof!? Agree, Mike Bennett did a good job and I liked his names for the riders - Chris 'milk it' Millsy sticks in my mind. It built things up a treat.

Mainly either home straight stand at the 4th bend end (before the stadium was like it is now of course) or standing on the 2nd bend.  In those days it was John Davis/Henka/Loram/Kevin Brice/Tom Grinstead and the likes :)

7 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

On the point about leaving, this seem to be the case everywhere now - I don't know if people have a fear of being held up by what, 10 minutes maybe but it is the same at Foxhall where crowds gather at the exit gate ready to sprint away after the first lap of heat 15.  I wait until it's finished and drive out no trouble, ok there may be a slight queue for 5 minutes.  This is the same whether the meeting finishes at 9.20 or 9.50 so cannot relate to them 'having an appointment to make'.  Human behaviour is sometimes puzzling.

A grumpy tired toddler was my reason! 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:43 PM, mrss said:

If ever you wanted to know how not to run a speedway meeting, yesterday was the prime example. Started late , car parking was a balls up, Lewis Kerr being driven around the track for half a lap before the mic man realised . Worst man on the centre green mic I have heard for years. The meeting was drawn out far too long, most people had left before the final race. It would have been good if the change of car park exit had have been announced over the PA system. 

I heard dozens of people complaining about the car park, saying that if it's like it for the next home meeting, that will be their last.

As for the centre green bloke, I think, but am not sure, that it was Roy Clarke who does one or two of the Northern tracks.  Presenting meetings is not an easy job, but have to admit, that I can't remember seeing/hearing anybody quite that bad before. I think I saw him at Peterborough once as well, not at all good.  But as I say, it's not an easy thing to do.

Lots of people left before the end, but I know some of those were in the main car park, but that's the norm on race nights anyway, I think they just like to get away before all the mayhem starts as you exit. Eastbourne used to be a very good example of that too.

Just glad that the weather was good, albeit damn cold when in the shade, and that a good crowd turned out for Lewi.    

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Mainly either home straight stand at the 4th bend end (before the stadium was like it is now of course) or standing on the 2nd bend.  In those days it was John Davis/Henka/Loram/Kevin Brice/Tom Grinstead and the likes :)

Henka - oh do we need a Henka.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 2:17 PM, wealdstone said:

Programme £5 , entrance too grandstand doubled to £2 . Can go along with this for a testimonial but a bit much if same applies to  ordinary meeting. Not far away now for just for a couple it will be £100 per meeting.

The programme was as a  special 45 page souvenir job. I'm sure the grandstand was £2 last season?.

3 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I remember watching those. Loved watching old Bricey pop out of the start now and again . I stood on the second bend next to the then bar:t:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I remember watching those. Loved watching old Bricey pop out of the start now and again . I stood on the second bend next to the then bar:t:

The late eighties and early to mid nineties were my golden era at Lynn as I'm a little too young to remember the seventies and early eighties. Henka, Loramski, Brhel, Richard Knight, Bobby Ott, Lofqvist, Emerson Fairweather etc. Always seemed to be last heat deciders and the racing was awesome with proper shale. And on Satuday nights! 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

The late eighties and early to mid nineties were my golden era at Lynn as I'm a little too young to remember the seventies and early eighties. Henka, Loramski, Brhel, Richard Knight, Bobby Ott, Lofqvist, Emerson Fairweather etc. Always seemed to be last heat deciders and the racing was awesome with proper shale. And on Satuday nights! 

My first meeting was in 1972 as an 8 year old.We had no car back then and used to walk the 8 mile round trip and get a bag of chips on the way home.

• Like 2