British Speedway Forum
stevehone

Help the forum!

ok, to save the forum becoming overrun did anyone go to speedway prior to 1948 or can that award go to Hyam and we can all be done with it?

Edited by stevehone
  • Haha 3

My grandad did.

52 minutes ago, stevehone said:

ok, to save the forum becoming overrun did anyone go to speedway prior to 1948 

Well, I googled "people who went to speedway in 1946" and it brought up this Indian version of wikipedia   See Here

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Personally, I enjoy reading about all of these old Riders. Whilst the Posts of some may be of no interest to anyone but a few, surely there is room for everyone who has the knowledge to share it. As I said, some people will not be interested but, others certainly are.

Without the posts of John Hyam, iris from a German perspective, these support Riders would fade into history unremembered. That would be a shame. I, for one, enjoy reading about them.

13 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Personally, I enjoy reading about all of these old Riders.

Lots of us like to read about old riders.   And the biographies of this random set of old riders are a mere click away. 

Nice and neatly stored here:-    http://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/riders profiles.html   Easy to read for everyone.

What people get fed up with is someone stupidly cutting and pasting every word from every page of a website onto here.   

All it needed was the original link to http://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/riders profiles.html  in one post.   And then people could read all they want and discuss any memories to their hearts content.

And the stupid cutting and pasting isn't done through ignorance or lack of knowledge.   The perpetrator has been told enough times.   It's purely done to be disruptive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

What people get fed up with is someone stupidly cutting and pasting every word from every page of a website onto here.   

All it needed was the original link to http://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/riders profiles.html  in one post.   And then people could read all they want and discuss any memories to their hearts content.

And the stupid cutting and pasting isn't done through ignorance or lack of knowledge.   The perpetrator has been told enough times.   It's purely done to be disruptive.

That is EXACTLY what I keep telling him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like he continues to have this amazing problem that one or two of his threads vanish and then re- appear amazingly !!

It's the amount of new cut and paste postings in one go that causes the issues. Could you consider  putting them up on the anniversary of the riders passing or their birthday. A more appropriate time for reflection.

• Like 1

seems like a number of threads have disappeared :D

4 minutes ago, stevehone said:

seems like a number of threads have disappeared :D

John emailed me to ask what he needs to do to be accepted on here, and one of the main points I made was for him to stop deleting and hiding things. So, he immediately starts deleting and hiding things...

You can't make this s h ! t up!

Edited by chunky

Well the threads were largely uninteresting to most, so no great loss, but the deleting of threads you've started is so annoying!

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

John emailed me to ask what he needs to do to be accepted on here, and one of the main points I made was for him to stop deleting and hiding things. So, he immediately starts deleting and hiding things...

You can't make this s h ! t up!

exactly my point, cantankerous old git

Yeh, I was about to respond to the Jimmy Heard posting but wasn't quick enough to do so before it disappeared

49 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Yeh, I was about to respond to the Jimmy Heard posting but wasn't quick enough to do so before it disappeared

John emailed me a little while ago, and was deleting all his posts. Why, I have no idea...

I enjoy  John's posts- I am particularly interested in his memories of 1950's riders. Let's face it John was born in 1932- 90 this year- I'm not sure I'll be up to posting anything at 90. I'll probably be  six feet under and lapping ants then!! Actually we now have Medically Assisted Death in Canada now- I mentioned that to my wife and she's booked me in for next Tuesday!!!