Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

60 most difficult sports....

Recommended Posts

What a load of bollox...cheerleader for Borussia Monchengladbach, or Hamilton Academicals, Brighton and Hove Albion, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Inverness Caledonian Thistle is very difficult..give us a I :D

Edited by auntie doris
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, iris123 said:

No speedway, but Auto racing comes in at #32 !!! Curling at #56 :D

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Based on the ratings given, that would suggest auto racing is specifically cars.

You would think that motorcycle racing would get much higher scores for things like agility, flexibility, etc but apparently motorcycle racing doesn't count as a sport to them :rolleyes:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Based on the ratings given, that would suggest auto racing is specifically cars.

You would think that motorcycle racing would get much higher scores for things like agility, flexibility, etc but apparently motorcycle racing doesn't count as a sport to them :rolleyes:

I was wondering if it was some sort of run down of the sports ESPN show. At least i remember they used to do a lot of boxing, which comes out on top. So maybe 'their' sports come high up on the list

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I was wondering if it was some sort of run down of the sports ESPN show. At least i remember they used to do a lot of boxing, which comes out on top. So maybe 'their' sports come high up on the list

That might explain it.

I think the used to have the rights for MotoGP and SX/MX in America but lost them. Maybe they've taken a huff with bike sports and just pretend they don't exist any more :D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

I remember a similar survey years ago in which moto-cross came second only to boxing in terms of out put of heart and lungs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I was wondering if it was some sort of run down of the sports ESPN show. At least i remember they used to do a lot of boxing, which comes out on top. So maybe 'their' sports come high up on the list

Still show all the Top Rank shows so is still very big on the boxing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/17/2022 at 6:12 PM, iris123 said:

No speedway, but Auto racing comes in at #32 !!! Curling at #56 :D

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Squash only 22nd. Obviously never watched world championships and National titles. At the end of most games the players are "gone" with no legs at the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/17/2022 at 6:57 PM, E I Addio said:

I remember a similar survey years ago in which moto-cross came second only to boxing in terms of out put of heart and lungs. 

I've seen studies in the past that put MX second only to soccer. I have read that top class riders can have a heart rate of 92% to 96% of their max for an entire race which can be near 40 minutes. 

I know that even in my younger days when I was training and pretty fit we were racing 10 minutes plus two laps which would normally be 13 or 14 mins and I'd have a job to breath or move for 20 minutes after a race. 

I can't imagine that there is anything that gets near to matching the demands of the Tour de France though. 

Share this post


Link to post

It's a bit of a ridiculous list to be honest. The ridiculousness is demonstrated by fact they've omitted cricket which is probably the second biggest team sport in the world. 

Of course, it depends how you measure 'difficult' - whether skill, physicality, bravery or endurance, and level you're competing at. And for team sports the difficulty is going to different for different positions.

Any sport that has a pre-requisite skill to enter should probably be ranked higher, especially if that skill requires specialist facilities to learn in the first place. For example, you can't play ice hockey until you're a proficient skater and that requires access to an ice rink. And anything needing multiple diverse skills such as cricket - batting, bowling and fielding - should probably be considered harder. 

Then again, pretty much anyone can cycle or run around an athletics track to some extent, but the number of people that have the cardiovascular ability to perform at highest level is very small. 

Thinking about the sports I've played, I could (and have) competed within 5% of the ability of the very top (even F1) drivers, but there's no way I'd be within 5% of the top footballers ability even if you could measure that. And my batting or bowling averages would be even further away from those of test cricketers, even when I played regularly. 

I'd probably rank cycling as the hardest sport overall, that only rare superhumans can compete in at the highest level.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/20/2022 at 6:15 AM, Vince said:

I've seen studies in the past that put MX second only to soccer. I have read that top class riders can have a heart rate of 92% to 96% of their max for an entire race which can be near 40 minutes. 

I know that even in my younger days when I was training and pretty fit we were racing 10 minutes plus two laps which would normally be 13 or 14 mins and I'd have a job to breath or move for 20 minutes after a race. 

I can't imagine that there is anything that gets near to matching the demands of the Tour de France though. 

 The thing about MX and boxing is that demands on the cardio system are erratic . They come upon you a bit unexpectedly and you dont have a lot of control over them. The survey I was referring to was semi scientific in that competitors were fitted with heart monitors and contrations to measure breathing, but the trouble with all these sorts of surveys is you never know who is paying for them and how independent it all is. Many people say that if you have an engine, it’s not really a sport.

Share this post


Link to post

You say that, but is cheer leading even a sport ? 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/20/2022 at 7:44 AM, Humphrey Appleby said:

 

I'd probably rank cycling as the hardest sport overall, that only rare superhumans can compete in at the highest level.

I think cycling really is the preserve of white westerners from broadly affluent backgrounds. Sorry to say, people like me. :unsure: I think if you hothouse some elite Kenyan and Ethiopian endurance runners, they would eventually prove themselves superior athletes.

Its a fun list, totally subjective. But for me it has to come down to sports that are global, require high levels of skill, athleticism and mental fortitude. Boxing is a fair shout, so is running (not all athletics), but I'd probably go for tennis. 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, falcace said:

I think cycling really is the preserve of white westerners from broadly affluent backgrounds. Sorry to say, people like me. :unsure: I think if you hothouse some elite Kenyan and Ethiopian endurance runners, they would eventually prove themselves superior athletes.

Its a fun list, totally subjective. But for me it has to come down to sports that are global, require high levels of skill, athleticism and mental fortitude. Boxing is a fair shout, so is running (not all athletics), but I'd probably go for tennis. 

The interesting thing about Kenyan distance runners is that they are almost all from the same tribe- the Kalejin tribe. The whole Kelejin population is only around 5 million, which is quite small relation to the world class runners they produce. A few years ago this one tribe had twice as many runners completing a marathon under 2:10 in a single month than the USA had in the whole of history.  Various reasons have been put forward for this but it seems to be a combination of diet , social reasons, high altitude training and genetics. It does make one wonder how much those factors feed into sport generally, especially genetics. 

I don’t know so much about Ethiopian runners but they do have tremendous incentives. In a poverty stricken country the rewards for success as a runner , perhaps a small farm or something like that are , by their standards, riches beyond their wildest dreams.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

The interesting thing about Kenyan distance runners is that they are almost all from the same tribe- the Kalejin tribe. The whole Kelejin population is only around 5 million, which is quite small relation to the world class runners they produce. A few years ago this one tribe had twice as many runners completing a marathon under 2:10 in a single month than the USA had in the whole of history.  Various reasons have been put forward for this but it seems to be a combination of diet , social reasons, high altitude training and genetics. It does make one wonder how much those factors feed into sport generally, especially genetics. 

I don’t know so much about Ethiopian runners but they do have tremendous incentives. In a poverty stricken country the rewards for success as a runner , perhaps a small farm or something like that are , by their standards, riches beyond their wildest dreams.

 

Yep, there's a ridiculous number of Olympic champions from the Rift Valley. Genetics is definitely a factor. But you also cannot underestimate the drive and quiet determination of these Kenyan and Ethiopian athletes. Success is also life changing, whereas a lot of British runners, it is a lot of graft and the rewards are relatively minimal in our society. Unless, of course, you really make it big like Mo or Paula. 

Back to genetics... Usain Bolt is/was blessed and other lesser beings cannot ever hope to beat him no matter how hard they train. I've heard it linked to the slave trade, where ultimately only the fittest and strongest survived the brutality. Which ultimately meant the fittest bred with the fittest and hence the Caribbean has an abundance of "superhumans". 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy