British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Isle of Wight 2022

What they are doing on the island is fantastic. Yes I agree I to would like to see IoW back in NDL but if the current owners cannot agree with the politics then this is their best option.

I may not enjoy grass bikes or Flat track machines on a speedway track but I see the business plan in that this allows access to more competitors it is a system that has worked across the world of motorcycle racing. In Australia NZ USA & SA all different types & standards will come together to produce the whole event & nobody can argue that anything upto 50 races is better value than 15 no matter what standard or discipline.

• Like 6

On 1/21/2022 at 10:19 AM, barrybishop said:

I agree... someone can create something under Nora Speedway... that will be just perfect......

Barry. You could start that topic in the Way Ahead section yourself. Then paste in the various recent posts that you want to appear.

The trouble with going away from the league sections is that I suspect fewer people read them. The racing on the island is National League standard, so leaving this thread where it is seems about right unless our mods want to move it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The trouble with going away from the league sections is that I suspect fewer people read them. The racing on the island is National League standard, so leaving this thread where it is seems about right unless our mods want to move it.

Whilst some NDL standard riders may make appearances at some of the meetings it will mainly be ‘ amateur’ racing as the vast majority of riders in all the proposed categories are exactly that. I have no issue with IOW appearing here but having its own section would be beneficial to those that want to follow the IOW and perhaps other NORA and even other amateur racing such as events at Scunthorpe, Iwade and Redcar.

19 hours ago, Chris116 said:

No point trying to fix what's not broke

18 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Whilst some NDL standard riders may make appearances at some of the meetings it will mainly be ‘ amateur’ racing as the vast majority of riders in all the proposed categories are exactly that. I have no issue with IOW appearing here but having its own section would be beneficial to those that want to follow the IOW and perhaps other NORA and even other amateur racing such as events at Scunthorpe, Iwade and Redcar.

What does NORA stand for?. The only Nora I can think is is Nora Batty.

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

Possibly because of your age?

NORA 92 Ltd is a motorsport body who licence and run all forms of motorsport, a bit like the A.C.U. but not so old .

As the IOW have dropped out of ‘ Official ‘ BSPA/SCB speedway they run events under NORA .

Edited by Fortythirtyeight
  • Thanks 1

I was shocked and saddened to see on the Warriors website that the stadium has been flooded by a water main being burst on the road outside during construction.

Better news is that Warriors have announced their team with Danno Verge, Connor King, Alex Spooner and Ben Morley. All four have NDL team spots and were pleased to get the chance of extra competitive track time. Once again the full details are on the Warriors website.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:52 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

I think there is a significant difference where most amateur events are run just for the riders where the Isle of Wight meetings are run for paying spectators.

On 1/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, customhouseregular said:

National Off Road Association I believe.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vince said:

I think there is a significant difference where most amateur events are run just for the riders where the Isle of Wight meetings are run for paying spectators.

National Off Road Association I believe.

Other than the club will make money from the meetings, what is the major difference ? It’s still amateur riders racing each other just with more spectators , hopefully.

The list of "announced" riders released thus far for the 3TT are all NDL riders. Im sure there might be a couple of fringe amateurs feature in the main events and perhaps moreso in the grasstrack classes but its a decent distance away from clubmans amateur events.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Other than the club will make money from the meetings, what is the major difference ? It’s still amateur riders racing each other just with more spectators , hopefully.

The amateur meetings with riders paying an entry fee will make money too. 

Look at the riders competing across the various classes and it is definitely a higher standard than the normal amateur meetings you spoke of.

I really don't see why it's a problem! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vince said:

Look at the riders competing across the various classes and it is definitely a higher standard than the normal amateur meetings you spoke of.

Because it seems to work and appears to be popular with fans?

Everyone knows. Speedway is two seven man teams over 15 heats with as many pro riders there as possible...

All ridden on nights to suit the riders so they can ride in as many meetings, and represent as many teams, as they can...

Mustn't ever change that...

Imagine the chaos!! :D

And who knows. Maybe the odd amateur talent could be unearthed given they will be coming up against established NDL riders so can benchmark themselves against a higher standard...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vince said:

I never suggested it was a ‘ problem ‘. But as I did say, it’s an amateur meeting. If you care to look at the entry for Scunthorpes next ‘ amateur ‘meeting you will see the names of several NDL riders entered, so, as I did say, the only difference is the club having a paying crowd . 

Just seen on the Warriors website the details of this years Three Team Tournament featuring the Warriors up against Weymouth Wildcats and Cradley Heathens. Looks like the tournament will provide three good evenings of entertainment.

• Like 2