British Speedway Forum
Chris116

Isle of Wight 2022

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Just seen on the Warriors website the details of this years Three Team Tournament featuring the Warriors up against Weymouth Wildcats and Cradley Heathens. Looks like the tournament will provide three good evenings of entertainment.

#variety

• Like 3

I am sure many readers were as upset as I was at the flooding damage due to a burst pipe caused by road works at the end of January. I hope that whoever was responsible for the damage, has repaired it and ensured that the stadium has suffered no loss.

It would be nice to hear from the Warriors promotion what the current situation is.

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I am sure many readers were as upset as I was at the flooding damage due to a burst pipe caused by road works at the end of January. I hope that whoever was responsible for the damage, has repaired it and ensured that the stadium has suffered no loss.

It would be nice to hear from the Warriors promotion what the current situation is.

Hi All,

We have already held several My First Skid sessions following the flood. The track is in first class shape. Other little bits that needed repairing following the burst are being done as and when materials/volunteers are available working with the loss adjuster from Southern Water who have been very good.

now we look forward to more MFS (this Thursday and every 2 weeks) before starting another action packed speedway adventure from June 23rd.

Many thanks and I trust you are all well and looking forward to the start of the season with your local clubs.

All the best, 

Barry

• Like 3

Very pleased to hear that Southern Water are being fair and that things are getting back to normal. 

From a personal point of view the fact that the Island Line is back working is good news but sadly until the late train from Portsmouth Harbour to Wimbledon and the connecting boat from Ryde Pier Head are back running I will not be able to see racing at Smallbrook Stadium which I deeply regret unless I seriously increase the cost of a trip by staying overnight in Ryde. Staying would enable me to have two days on the Steam railway which I would enjoy but would not go down well with my wife!

Former World Speedway Number 2, Gordon Kennett, To Race At Smallbrook Stadium In British Upright Championship Final

Even though the meeting is still some five months away, interest in the NORA 2022 British Upright Speedway Championship being promoted by the Wightlink Warriors at their Smallbrook Stadium in Ryde is intense with currently over 30 riders hoping to be invited to compete in the event.

That level of support has come as no surprise to Warriors co-owner Barry Bishop who said, “We knew from the very positive response to the inclusion of the older, more traditional style of upright engined speedway machines that formed part of our race night last year, that interest from both riders and supporters in this category was strong and so to develop it more, with the support of our great friends at NORA, we were determined to include it in our 2022 programme.

With no other equivalent Championship on offer it made sense to make our meetings that much more meaningful and I am thrilled that we have been able to appoint Lee Coleman as our Championship Co-ordinator and he has been instrumental in linking many aspects of the event together culminating in the announcement of the formula for the Championship and the first four excellent riders who we look forward to welcoming to Smallbrook.

It really does promise to be a very close fought Championship that will add another dimension to our varied summer calendar”.

Championship Co-ordinator Lee Coleman added “I’m thrilled and very grateful to Barry and Martin who have asked me to help with this very exciting project and just as soon as preliminary information was released, we have been kept busy with a whole string of recognisable names wanting to find out more. As a result of that we have settled on a format that will allow us to seed eight riders straight through to the Grand Final on 11th August where they will be joined by the top four riders from each of the two qualifying rounds on 30thJune and 21st July. The Grand Final will run on the standard 20 heat individual programme.

With the arrangements now firmly established I am buzzing to be able to name the first four seeds that will compete in our Grand Final. They are former World Speedway Number 2 and World Pairs Champion Gordon Kennett, 1984 National League Riders Champion Ian Barney and British Indoor Ice Champions Wayne Broadhurst and Tony Atkin who are both equally at home on shale and especially grass where they hold multiple Championship titles. I’m told all these guys are already gearing up, both physically and mechanically, to be as competitive as possible and the other four seeds, who are already signed to the series and who are equally as keen, will be announced shortly.

I know Barry and Martin can’t wait to see these guys blasting round the wide-open spaces of the Smallbrook raceway and I’ve got to say I’m the same. Summer can’t come soon enough”.

• Like 7

Kennett’s Comeback Intrigues Speedway Fraternity

The announcement last weekend that former world number two speedway rider Gordon Kennett was planning to race competitively again at Ryde’s Smallbrook Stadium has set the internet speedway forums buzzing with both intrigue and excitement especially from fans of Oxford and Eastbourne who are keen to know more of their former hero’s plans.

Gordon said, " I can’t quite believe the amount of interest that has been generated by my agreeing to ride in the Upright Championship on the Isle of Wight. People who know me will have seen me out from time to time taking in a practice or two and having had such a great reception when visiting the Island as team manager for Oxford last year it was too good an opportunity to miss. Smallbrook is a track that I have never ridden before so now I can put that right. Helping in just a small way to get Oxford back on track has been fantastic and now to be involved with a new championship is brilliant. The Championship Co-Ordinator Lee Coleman's doing great work to make this a special event and now I can’t wait to ride and have fun and look forward to seeing speedway fans once more from the track."

Championship Co-ordinator Lee Coleman added, "Gordon Kennett confirming his entry to the NORA British Upright Championship is superb. I grew up during the 70’s and 80’s with Gordon being one of the stars during a boom period of the sport. The World Final in 1978 at a packed Wembley is one of my most watched meetings on YouTube and obviously starred Gordon on his way to becoming World number 2. I had to pinch myself a few years ago when I shared the track with him during the Veteran Championship at Lydd, but Gordon supporting the events on the Island this year by entering the Upright Championship has topped that. August 11th can’t come soon enough."

Edited by barrybishop

Good luck to him. Remember he was the only one who really gave it a slide on the last occasion the riders went round the Plough Lane track

2 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Kennett’s Comeback Intrigues Speedway Fraternity

The announcement last weekend that former world number two speedway rider Gordon Kennett was planning to race competitively again at Ryde’s Smallbrook Stadium has set the internet speedway forums buzzing with both intrigue and excitement especially from fans of Oxford and Eastbourne who are keen to know more of their former hero’s plans.

Gordon said, " I can’t quite believe the amount of interest that has been generated by my agreeing to ride in the Upright Championship on the Isle of Wight. People who know me will have seen me out from time to time taking in a practice or two and having had such a great reception when visiting the Island as team manager for Oxford last year it was too good an opportunity to miss. Smallbrook is a track that I have never ridden before so now I can put that right. Helping in just a small way to get Oxford back on track has been fantastic and now to be involved with a new championship is brilliant. The Championship Co-Ordinator Lee Coleman's doing great work to make this a special event and now I can’t wait to ride and have fun and look forward to seeing speedway fans once more from the track."

Championship Co-ordinator Lee Coleman added, "Gordon Kennett confirming his entry to the NORA British Upright Championship is superb. I grew up during the 70’s and 80’s with Gordon being one of the stars during a boom period of the sport. The World Final in 1978 at a packed Wembley is one of my most watched meetings on YouTube and obviously starred Gordon on his way to becoming World number 2. I had to pinch myself a few years ago when I shared the track with him during the Veteran Championship at Lydd, but Gordon supporting the events on the Island this year by entering the Upright Championship has topped that. August 11th can’t come soon enough."

Has it really "set the internet forums buzzing"?

Competition time.....

Wightlink Warriors Reveal New Development Team With Fans Invited To Suggest A Nickname

The Wightlink Warriors have embraced the success of My First Skid by creating a second development team to provide competitive action for riders at the Wightlink Wizards level of progress and fans now have an opportunity to win a special prize by suggesting a nickname for the new side.

Wightlink Warrior’s co-owner Barry Bishop explained, “The Wizards have become an established part of our club, offering up-and-coming riders a chance to be involved in proper team matches on race nights. Most of our Wizards have progressed from My First Skid which has been very successful in attracting new riders to the sport. We have now reached a stage where we have enough riders to track two teams of Development League standard and we plan to take this forward in 2022.

After much discussion between Martin (Widman), Kev (Shepherd) and myself we have settled on the riders who will line up for the Wizards and our new team and the riders will be:

Wizards: Michael Austin, Vinny Branch, Jamie Sealey (pictured), Sam Peters, Steph Whitlock.

New Team: Jamie Evans, James Laker, Wayne Parker, Anastasia Sallee, Morgan Williams.

Many of those names will be familiar to Smallbrook regulars however we are delighted to introduce newcomers Michael, Vinny and Wayne. Michael and Vinny are both from motorcycling backgrounds with road racing, trials, moto X and grass track experience. Wayne is returning to speedway after some time away. All three have been showing super progress week on week and we think we have balanced the sides to ensure the on-track action will be meaningful and exciting. If people are wondering about Chris and Rob Watts, we have spoken to both lads who are super keen, however other commitments could make regular appearances tricky – that said Chris is definitely going to do other meetings at Smallbrook having already been confirmed as one of the Cradley squad for the three-team tournament.

I must also thank long-standing supporter Kay Richardson. To add a little good-natured spice to the matches between our two development sides, they will be competing for a trophy to be presented to the winning team by Kay in memory of her late husband Michael who was such a staunch supporter of speedway on the Island and who offered non-stop encouragement to those riders looking to make their way in the sport.

We now need to find a catchy nickname for our new side, and we are inviting supporters to come up with their ideas. We will award an appropriate prize to the supporter whose suggestion captures our values and the excitement we believe in, and I have asked our Press Officer Rob Dyer to co-ordinate replies. Please forward your submissions to him by email using rob.dyer@hotmail.co.uk Closing date midnight 14th March 2022.”

• Like 4

We are absolutely delighted to welcome Ian Barney to Smallbrook Stadium on August 11th for the NORA British Upright Championship.

Mark your diary, book your ferry, make a weekend or week of it and join us for the biggest upright engine meeting for decades and after party.

Upright Racer Ian Barney Primed For Smallbrook Action

Already seeded to the NORA Upright British Speedway Championship Final in August, Ian Barney’s name is instantly recognisable to the sports followers so Championship Co-ordinator Lee Coleman caught up with Ian to get his thoughts on visiting the Island for what will be a big night of racing.

Ian said, “First of all, I am very pleased to be involved in the NORA British Upright Championship. We have had the Veteran Championships at Lydd in Kent for many years which I have raced in and enjoyed very much and now I’ve been given the chance to ride in a British Championship again on the Island!

I will be riding a Jawa machine which is currently being prepared but will be finished shortly.

Speedway for me started back in 1977 at Mildenhall and I loved riding there.

During my time at Mildenhall my Dad spoke to Brian Clark who opened the door at Peterborough to offer ‘after the meeting rides’ which I did as soon as I possibly could.

I was over the moon as I supported Peterborough Panthers from the age of eleven. I worked my way through from raw novice to heat leader, including winning the 1984 National League Riders Championship in front of my home crowd. I loved my years at Peterborough. I also enjoyed doubling up with Kings Lynn during these times.

Sadly, all good things come to an end, or so I thought. A few years later I was asked to ride in the Conference League which I enjoyed just as much as I did in my heyday. I had a few years away but recently was tempted back which brings us to present day.

This coming season I will be riding with the London Celts in amateur events which will help me keep race sharp and I also have other meetings in the pipeline which I hope will be great preparation for the British Upright Championship at the Isle of Wight.

I will be giving it my best shot. There is going to be a very strong field of riders which will provide a highly competitive meeting which I am pleased to be involved in. I hope there will be plenty of support this coming season for the Wightlink Warriors as they are doing the sport the world of good. My thanks to Barry, Martin and Lee for the opportunity to race at Smallbrook, I can’t wait!”

Meeting Co-ordinator Lee Coleman was equally excited saying “I am so pleased Ian Barney will be racing for the chance to win NORA British Upright Championship. When his request to enter appeared in my messages box I realised pretty quickly we were capturing the imagination of established names within the sport. Plus, we again have another Championship winning rider in the line up! I know he is preparing a bike especially for the Upright events, he is meticulous in his preparation and I’m sure Smallbrook will really suit him. Having watched him race through the years I know he will be giving 100% to support the event, both on and off the track. Ian is a great addition to what is a very competitive line-up of seeded riders.”

The image, courtesy of Kevin Goodacre Photography and Speedway Star magazine, shows Ian immediately after his National League Riders Championship success.

• Like 3

I wish we like to see is Reading Racers returned!!!, maybe young riders join club but no stadium yet!!!!! 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 8:50 PM, speed29 said:

I wish we like to see is Reading Racers returned!!!, maybe young riders join club but no stadium yet!!!!! 

We are still trying!

• Like 2

All the best to Barry, Martin & all on the IOW for a successful 2022 :party:

• Like 1

Speedway’s Back With The Wightlink Warriors On A Revenge Mission

The 2022 speedway season at Ryde’s Smallbrook Stadium launches this coming Thursday (23rd June) as the Wightlink Warriors prepare to take on the Cradley Heathens and Weymouth Wildcats in the first of a series of three meetings where aggregate scores will decide the destination of the newly created Michael Richardson Trophy.

Warriors will warmly welcome back Ben Morley and Connor King as those two former Warriors link up with 2021 homesters Danno Verge and Alex Spooner with team manager Steve Piper on a revenge mission to drive his charges on to improve on their second place in last seasons’ equivalent competition.

That ambition will require his quartet to be fully ‘on-point’ as the opposition have been very shrewd with their rider selections with Island experts Alfie Bowtell, Connor Coles and Henry Atkins being supported by several ever-eager young guns such as Ben Trigger and George Congreve.

Speaking earlier this week, Warriors co-owner Barry Bishop said,

“I can’t wait to get racing underway this Thursday. We have been busy over the winter months with our normal preparations and this time round, in addition to the usual stadium maintenance we have had to deal with the major flood last January and the mindless damage from visiting football ‘fans’ in April, however we have overcome these setbacks with the unceasing dedication of our loyal volunteers.

Our Warrior team has been in place for some time now and it will be an exciting and an evenly matched way of getting our summer season under way. With our speedway school ‘My First Skid’ continuing to produce emerging talent we will also parade a second development team (the Wightlink Warlocks) who will tackle the Wightlink Wizards in a series of six heat matches over the course of the season and as always, we will be giving our youth riders track time pre-meeting in front of an appreciative crowd. Their development has been superb and I’m sure our regular supporters will see their improvement.”

Expected teams (alphabetically):

Warriors: Connor King, Ben Morley, Alex Spooner, Danno Verge.

Heathens: Alfie Bowtell, Connor Coles, Tom Spencer, Chris Watts.

Wildcats: Henry Atkins, Jacob Clouting, George Congreve, Ben Trigger.

Gates at Smallbrook Stadium open at 17.15. Spectators are welcome to visit the pits and listen to the rider briefing at 18.00. The pre-meeting demonstration races will then follow ahead of the main event which will be at 19.00. Full refreshment facilities will be in operation throughout.

• Like 2

I just wish Wightlink would start running the later boat from Ryde as until they do I can't get home from  meeting. Wish everyone involved in Warriors Speedway a very successful 2022 and look forward to the day I can join you to enjoy the action.