Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Russia's prosecution of the war so far has frankly been an embarrassing shambles that has revealed it to be the archetypal playground bully that basically isn't that hard when someone's prepared to stand up and give them a bloody nose. And far from intimidating the West, Putin has now got Finland and Sweden seriously considering applying for NATO.

In fact, Russia has been so embarrassingly bad that I've been wondering whether it's actually all a double bluff to lull everyone into a false sense of security, but as with most things it's usually the simple rather than complicated explanation that's the reality... 

One major problem , as with Hitlers push into Russia it seems was basically the wrong time of year, and Russia got bogged down in mud. I did read that the Ukrainian plan was to open a dam and flood an area, but not sure if that was a guess or reality

Edited by iris123

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, iris123 said:

One major problem , as with Hitlers push into Russia it seems was basically the wrong time of year, and Russia got bogged down in mud. I did read that the Ukrainian plan was to open a dam and flood an area, but not sure if that was a guess or reality

Hitler was delayed because Italy invaded Yugoslavia, Greece & Albania, they looked like they were going to get beaten so Germany went their aid

That delayed the invasion, then Hitlers decision to turn the force advancing on Moscow south west, ironically to help with the front in Ukraine meant they arrived on the outskirts of Moscow late in the year with tired troops.

The freezing weather then took its toll as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

That delayed the invasion, then Hitlers decision to turn the force advancing on Moscow south west, ironically to help with the front in Ukraine meant they arrived on the outskirts of Moscow late in the year with tired troops.

I think it was always going to be optimistic to expect to successfully invade, far less occupy a territory that's so large. The ultimate expectation might have been that Japan would also invade from the east, as I think the grand plan was for Germany and Japan to divide up the Soviet Union, but Russia has always had the inherent advantage against invading armies of being able to retreat until supply lines are overstretched.

What Russia is finding out now though, is that wars of offense and defence are different things. When your back is against the wall and you know the historical behaviour of your enemy, it incentivises you to fight to the last man and woman and to make sure your enemy pays a very heavy price for its occupation. 

The other issue of course, is that Ukraine was very instrumental in the Soviet Union's military machine, so they're far from numpties in developing military materiel or understanding Russian military doctrine. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Hitler was delayed because Italy invaded Yugoslavia, Greece & Albania, they looked like they were going to get beaten so Germany went their aid

That delayed the invasion, then Hitlers decision to turn the force advancing on Moscow south west, ironically to help with the front in Ukraine meant they arrived on the outskirts of Moscow late in the year with tired troops.

The freezing weather then took its toll as well

It only goes to show how poorly prepared Putin and his advisors were. Because they had all the time in the world and just chose the wrong time. As well as obviously underestimating the resistance they would get. Plus seemingly throwing many raw recruits into battle, plus not having the essential back up supplies in place. The fact that tanks were towed away by Ukrainian farmers, as they had run out of fuel is amateurish beyond belief 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think it was always going to be optimistic to expect to successfully invade, far less occupy a territory that's so large. The ultimate expectation might have been that Japan would also invade from the east, as I think the grand plan was for Germany and Japan to divide up the Soviet Union, but Russia has always had the inherent advantage against invading armies of being able to retreat until supply lines are overstretched.

What Russia is finding out now though, is that wars of offense and defence are different things. When your back is against the wall and you know the historical behaviour of your enemy, it incentivises you to fight to the last man and woman and to make sure your enemy pays a very heavy price for its occupation. 

The other issue of course, is that Ukraine was very instrumental in the Soviet Union's military machine, so they're far from numpties in developing military materiel or understanding Russian military doctrine. 

It was, history shows it is too big to defeat, Napoleons invasion should have shown that, but the Germans, although some generals did not want it, thought all they had to do was kick the door down and the house would collapse, 

Share this post


Link to post

377,000 people have died as a result of the ongoing war in Yemen, yet many people are completely unaware. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Crumpet91 said:

377,000 people have died as a result of the ongoing war in Yemen, yet many people are completely unaware. 

the difference is we are selling arms to the country doing the killing in Yemen, not giving them to the country not doing the killing like in Ukraine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Crumpet91 said:

377,000 people have died as a result of the ongoing war in Yemen, yet many people are completely unaware. 

Predictable Pro Soviet 'whataboutism' Putin's glad when he bends over there are still some that get a suntan though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Swindonseptet said:

Predictable Pro Soviet 'whataboutism' Putin's glad when he bends over there are still some that get a suntan though.

Idiot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Crumpet91 said:

Idiot.

Some might say  "It takes one to know one"  ;)

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, jrs said:

Some might say  "It takes one to know one"  ;)

There is no basis for what 'it' posted, and has gone on ignore. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Crumpet91 said:

There is no basis for what 'it' posted, and has gone on ignore. 

Blu , you're always right ;)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Swindonseptet said:

Predictable Pro Soviet 'whataboutism' Putin's glad when he bends over there are still some that get a suntan though.

Why is giving facts about the war in Yemen pro soviet?

PS The Soviet Union no longer exists

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Why is giving facts about the war in Yemen pro soviet?

PS The Soviet Union no longer exists

 

17 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Why is giving facts about the war in Yemen pro soviet?

PS The Soviet Union no longer exists

There seems to be a number of forceful suggestions that when the old Soviet Union broke up a number of Putins buddies from the KGB went off and joined the Russian Orthodox Church, with their hearts still in the idea of the old Soviet Union, and part responsible for the support of the Church for Putin. This cannot be fully confirmed yet but there certainly seems to be a pattern over several years which suggests Putin is in the influence, if not the complete grip of the Russian Orthodox Church

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy