British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

Australia v England test matches

AUSTRALIA v ENGLAND speedway tests were a highlight in our sport for such a long time.

This is one of the last test series of the England Team touring Australia in 1994, and it is the first test at the world famous Sydney Showground Speedway Royale. Sadly gone and a thing of the past now!

Test Matches were always great......One of the one's that really sticks in my mind was the GB v USSR international at Wembley in 1964.....Although the Russians were well beaten the atmosphere there was nothing short of fantastic.

Wish they would bring back regular test matches now.

There was another series in Australia in 2001.....Young Australia v Young Britain.....Aussies won the series 5-4

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andout said:

Wish they would bring back regular test matches now.

We've said before that the variety of meetings kept the sport fresh. In addition to the league and KOC, every track had a couple of individual meetings, at least one regional cup, plus things like best pairs and 4TT's. The real icing on the cake was being awarded a Test Match! Those were the days...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Polish national team has four test matches scheduled for the 2022 season. Their opposition is as yet unknown. Could Great Britian be invited over to Poland for a return match following last year's test defeat of the Poles at Glasgow? 

Is anything known about GB test matches in 2022 ? 

Whist i think test matches aren't the crowd puller they used to be, i think there is a place in the calendar for an early touring side like Young Czecho or Germany U21 etc. Think Sönke Petersen and Kevin Wölbertt were part f the last young German team to do a tour 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Whist i think test matches aren't the crowd puller they used to be, i think there is a place in the calendar for an early touring side like Young Czecho or Germany U21 etc. Think Sönke Petersen and Kevin Wölbertt were part f the last young German team to do a tour 

I think you are referring to the under 16 tests in 2001 & 03 (my what a long time ago). I can remember being very impressed with Sonke Pedersen

http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/youth.htm

• Like 1

19 hours ago, arnieg said:

I think you are referring to the under 16 tests in 2001 & 03 (my what a long time ago). I can remember being very impressed with Sonke Pedersen

http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/youth.htm

Actually quite a decent line up from Germany looking back with Facher, Lieschke, Speiser and Tobi Busch, and the GB side had some promising riders there as well

Remember being impressed when Roynon came to Brokstedt with a GB U21 side i think it was. And then saw Tully representing Scotland in an U21 qualifier. Roynon obviously hampered by a lot of injuries, but Tully just disappered..

On 1/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, Bavarian said:

The Polish national team has four test matches scheduled for the 2022 season. Their opposition is as yet unknown. Could Great Britian be invited over to Poland for a return match following last year's test defeat of the Poles at Glasgow? 

Is anything known about GB test matches in 2022 ? 

Looks like Germany have a test against Denmark lined up. What sort of level it will be though ?

Veranstaltungskalender 2022
Sa. 05.03.22 - Training
Sa. 12.03.22 - Training
Sa. 19.03.22 - Der Hammer
Sa. 26.03.22 - Training
Sa. 09.04.22 - ADMV-Meisterschaft
Sa. 07.05.22 - Pokal für Frieden und
Freundschaft
Sa. 21.05.22 - ADMV-Meisterschaft
Sa. 11.06.22 - KKJS des LK OPR
Sa. 18.06.22 - Pokal des Bürgermeister
der Stadt Wittstock