British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Details please for speedway journalist Dave Stevens

Dave Stevens was a prominent freelance speedway journalist from the mid-1950s into the early 1970s. Much of his work was for the dear old 'Speedway World'. He was also the  Publicity Manager in this period for tracks promoted by Len Silver and Wally Mawdsley.

At the end of the 1960s I think he was also team manager at Canterbury. After that 'he vanished' from the sport. Can anyone please provide more details about him? Thank you.

Edited by Guest
type face

Is Dave still with us- I remember him in the famous photo of the 1965 promoters meeting- I think Reg Fearman is the only one on that photo who is still alive  unless Dave is. Dave wasn't a promoter but I think he was the secretary of the Promoters Association perhaps. Hey John don't delete your threads- I was about to answer your thread on Jim Heard till it disappeared. I for one am interested in your threads on 1950's riders. Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Is Dave still with us- I remember him in the famous photo of the 1965 promoters meeting- I think Reg Fearman is the only one on that photo who is still alive  unless Dave is. Dave wasn't a promoter but I think he was the secretary of the Promoters Association perhaps. Hey John don't delete your threads- I was about to answer your thread on Jim Heard till it disappeared. I for one am interested in your threads on 1950's riders. Cheers.

My apologies for deleting the Jim Heard thread. Here is the restored thread link.

http://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/jimheard.html

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

11 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

My apologies for deleting the Jim Heard thread. Here is the restored thread link.

http://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/jimheard.html

This Link - hopefully! - gives career details of many former riders BOBBATH:

http://www.speedwaymuseumonline.co.uk/riders profiles.html

On 1/23/2022 at 10:21 PM, JohnHyam said:

Dave Stevens was a prominent freelance speedway journalist from the mid-1950s into the early 1970s. Much of his work was for the dear old 'Speedway World'. He was also the  Publicity Manager in this period for tracks promoted by Len Silver and Wally Mawdsley.

At the end of the 1960s I think he was also team manager at Canterbury. After that 'he vanished' from the sport. Can anyone please provide more details about him? Thank you.

The thread has deviated from its main theme. It should be in regard to speedway journalist Dave Stevens.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

I do remember Wally Mawdsley. Sure he was a promoter somewhere. name rings a bell

38 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

I seem to remember a Speedway rider called Stan Stevens.

Am I befuddled ?

Yes you are. His name was "Laurel"...

19 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

Dave Stevens is IMO one of "speedway's mystery men." And GRAND CENTRAL there was a rider named Stan Stevens. Try this Link for details on him:

https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/2796/stan-stevens

Edited by Guest
updated