British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Anyone Remember Steve Waplington?

Strange, but one thing that stands out in my memory is the appearance of Steve Waplington at Plough Lane in 1969. He was a Belle Vue Colts star, who was pressed into service by a short-handed Aces side at Wimbledon. He scored 9 points, and provided the only support for Ivan Mauger.

He finished the season with a near 8-point average, and even had an outing for Young England against Young Czechoslovakia at Doncaster. He spent 1970 at Rochdale when the Colts moved over, and improved his average. He then retired at the age of 23, and seemed to be forgotten. Does anyone know what happened to him? I assume he's still alive?

He really was one that impressed me, and I thought he had a bright future.

I certainly remember Steve- I think he rode second half at some tracks and then just drifted away. Don't know anything else sadly. I think he also rode somewhere in 1968 .

There is about a six page article in Classic Speedway Issue 21 Summer 2013.......he chose between Speedway and a job and the Job won.

He also went to Leningrad with the Aces in 1969

Edited by andout
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Strange, but one thing that stands out in my memory is the appearance of Steve Waplington at Plough Lane in 1969. He was a Belle Vue Colts star, who was pressed into service by a short-handed Aces side at Wimbledon. He scored 9 points, and provided the only support for Ivan Mauger.

He finished the season with a near 8-point average, and even had an outing for Young England against Young Czechoslovakia at Doncaster. He spent 1970 at Rochdale when the Colts moved over, and improved his average. He then retired at the age of 23, and seemed to be forgotten. Does anyone know what happened to him? I assume he's still alive?

He really was one that impressed me, and I thought he had a bright future.

Alive and well in 2017  https://reader.exacteditions.com/issues/91530/page/21

https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/3133/steve-waplington

• Like 1

Steve is looking good, as Art Garfunkel would say "Still crazy after all these years"!!

Went to the link- saw Chris Bailey, Steve, Eric Broadbelt , Taffy Owen etc. Anyone know how Ken Moss, Ken Eyre and Peter Thompson are doing these days- the 1968 Colts were unstoppable

54 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Went to the link- saw Chris Bailey, Steve, Eric Broadbelt , Taffy Owen etc. Anyone know how Ken Moss, Ken Eyre and Peter Thompson are doing these days- the 1968 Colts were unstoppable

Ken Moss passed away a few years ago, and we lost Taffy Owen last August.

Edit: Peter Thompson passed away last April. I thought so, but wanted to make sure before I replied.

Edited by chunky

Looks like he was very promising. Another i have never heard of :oops:

Thanks Chunky, Is Ken Eyre still with us-he was the runner up in the first ever Second Division Riders Championship-behind I think Graham Plant-how is Graham doing these days, I saw a photo of him as part of a Newport reunion-still had all that long hair!! Hope you are surviving the winter in Ohio better than us up here-we had 60 cms. of snow last week and temps in the minus twenties!! 

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks Chunky, Is Ken Eyre still with us-he was the runner up in the first ever Second Division Riders Championship-behind I think Graham Plant-how is Graham doing these days, I saw a photo of him as part of a Newport reunion-still had all that long hair!! Hope you are surviving the winter in Ohio better than us up here-we had 60 cms. of snow last week and temps in the minus twenties!! 

I'm pretty sure that Ken is still going strong, and I think Graham is too.

The trouble here at the moment is that the temps are fluctuating wildly - and everyone is getting sick!

Hi chunky it's around -10 up here and expecting another 10 cms. tonight. No problem for us Canucks we are sitting out in the backyard in shorts drinking margaritas (well I may be exaggerating a bit). Hope you are ok too Andout!!

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Here's a recently taken pic of Ken at Buxton for the ride n slide day.

May be an image of 5 people, people standing, motorcycle and outdoors

On 1/24/2022 at 11:40 PM, BOBBATH said:

Steve is looking good, as Art Garfunkel would say "Still crazy after all these years"!!

Paul Simon would not appreciate you getting that so wrong!