British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Anyone Remember Steve Waplington?

Hi Sotonian, Sorry for mixing up  Simon with Garfunkel-you are right of course -mea culpa!!  Put it down to age!!  Also NW42- great picture of Ken Eyre at Buxton, looking like he is enjoying life to the full. Good on Ken. Did he go on to have a career in the British League post 1968.. Would folks say he was the most successful rider of the 1968 Belle Vue Colts. They really mopped up everyone else that year as I recall.

I regret that having left the UK in1968 -I never went to a Second Division meeting, until I came back on vacation in 1970 when I got to see Doncaster v. Reading at York Road. I recall Gordon McGregor still going strong for the Stallions as Doncaster then were known. I think also George Major was riding for Doncaster-have to check my programs though.

33 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Hi Sotonian, Sorry for mixing up  Simon with Garfunkel-you are right of course -mea culpa!!  Put it down to age!!  Also NW42- great picture of Ken Eyre at Buxton, looking like he is enjoying life to the full. Good on Ken. Did he go on to have a career in the British League post 1968.. Would folks say he was the most successful rider of the 1968 Belle Vue Colts. They really mopped up everyone else that year as I recall.

I regret that having left the UK in1968 -I never went to a Second Division meeting, until I came back on vacation in 1970 when I got to see Doncaster v. Reading at York Road. I recall Gordon McGregor still going strong for the Stallions as Doncaster then were known. I think also George Major was riding for Doncaster-have to check my programs though.

You do realize that you don't have to check your programs in most cases; the info is usually found online. Speedway Researcher is the best, while speedway proboards is great for the BL era.

Ken Eyre stayed with Belle Vue until the end of 1972, when he switched to Wolves for a couple of seasons. McGregor and Major both rode for Doncaster in 1970.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

You do realize that you don't have to check your programs in most cases; the info is usually found online. Speedway Researcher is the best, while speedway proboards is great for the BL era.

Ken Eyre stayed with Belle Vue until the end of 1972, when he switched to Wolves for a couple of seasons. McGregor and Major both rode for Doncaster in 1970.

...a school friend of my mother married Gordon McGregor.

Yes Chunky, but I like any excuse to check my old programs-thumbing through them brings back lots of associated memories.

16 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Yes Chunky, but I like any excuse to check my old programs-thumbing through them brings back lots of associated memories.

One of my eternal regrets was selling all my programes...such memories held within them. I used to place comments in them covering each race.

4 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I get that, but it's a lot quicker and easier to check things online - and there is a lot more info available!