British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Championship Streaming Channel

Interesting news this morning, a few of the Championship clubs run their own streaming already. Hopefully this new network is a collaborative effort.

• Like 1

I see this as a very positive move, hopefully they get the pricing right and deliver a good quality product, but this could be one of the best moves the BSPL have made in recent years to move the sport forward.  

1 minute ago, wtf said:

I see this as a very positive move, hopefully they get the pricing right and deliver a good quality product, but this could be one of the best moves the BSPL have made in recent years to move the sport forward.  

Agreed. I've always felt frustrated that Championship racing has been absent from BT and Eurosports shows. Seems to be a very good move and I'll be interested to see more details when they become available.  I'll definitely be supporting this.

2 minutes ago, wtf said:

For sure it's a massive step in the right direction.

Obviously there will be negative comments across social media once more details are recieved.

"Costs too much"

"Will drive people away from the stadiums"

But these people don't know what is entailed, i.e Production costs and staffing.

And often just stuck in the past, the Elite Ice Hockey League stream their games, which is very successful, and are in a similar position to British Speedway in terms of large travel between Tracks and Ice Rinks. Which Redcar or Newcastle fans are travelling to Poole to watch their team on a Wednesday night? Not many.

One suspects the price of a match will be near to the cost of stadium admission. That would make sense. You still save on travel, cost of programme and cost of warm beer and cold chips.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating but this sounds like a really positive move.

It doesn't sound like every fixture will be streamed but rather "over 30 meetings from all 11 venues". So roughly three from each track with each team hopefully featuring about six times (3 home, 3 away) as a rough estimate.  

Also, it doesn't sound like a pay per view option but rather subscription based.  Where you pay for the whole season or maybe monthly and have access to all content while you have a live subscription.

If that's correct there shouldn't be a mass exodus from attending in person but the question is will enough people subscribe for content in which the team they support features in about 20%, i.e. once every 5 meetings streamed? 

No doubt it will need to evolve over time in terms of production standards, price and content but certainly sounds like a step in the right direction.  Depending on price and guaranteed content (i.e. how many time the Diamonds will feature) I'd be tempted.

it will be expensive for people that still attend live meetings .but good for people that as not got track to go to now definitely a forward move our sport 

3 minutes ago, ray c said:

it will be expensive for people that still attend live meetings .but good for people that as not got track to go to now definitely a forward move our sport 

Do you have insight into how much it'll be or is this just an estimate?

It has to be a good step forwards.Away supporters may well consider using it in order to save fuel costs.

Neutral supporters also will join in this new adventure.

I do not think it will detract too much on home support

Well, this SHOULD be positive news. But the devil will be in the detail.

Doing all the play off is good. But other matches may be much less enticing; if they have to get a couple from each track in no matter what.

No information yet on how this will affect clubs with their own streaming platforms. I happily paid to what several Glasgow meetings last year and was looking to do many more from them this year. 

i think the supporters of teams/tracks no longer in operation could out number the supporters of todays tracks  still running  in paying for this service  .

• Like 1

I think it will help fans by being able to watch their teams away matches mainly.

If you read the streaming services operations in place last season, they were

"if you live in an area of a streamed match,it will not be streamed to that area."

So making sure attendances at tracks will not be affected,

but will draw profits to all clubs on non away supporters attendance.

2 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

I think it will help fans by being able to watch their teams away matches mainly.

I’m not sure that’s going to be the case. I subscribe to Eurosport just for the Speedway and my team has never featured in there. I suspect that will be the case for a lot of speedway fans who are not necessarily supporters of a Premiership club.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

I think it will help fans by being able to watch their teams away matches mainly

No. That is not what is planned.

30 matches in total (including playoff) and all tracks getting a couple homes at least. So most clubs will just have 2-4 away matches covered.

4 hours ago, Marksman said:

For sure it's a massive step in the right direction.

Obviously there will be negative comments across social media once more details are recieved.

"Costs too much"

"Will drive people away from the stadiums"

But these people don't know what is entailed, i.e Production costs and staffing.

And often just stuck in the past, the Elite Ice Hockey League stream their games, which is very successful, and are in a similar position to British Speedway in terms of large travel between Tracks and Ice Rinks. Which Redcar or Newcastle fans are travelling to Poole to watch their team on a Wednesday night? Not many.

It works well for the British Basketball league where all matches are streamed free of charge.

• Like 1