British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Championship Streaming Channel

Yes Grand Central, i did not say All my teams away matches !.

But  "never say never"  you never know.? Eventually?.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, FromBendThree said:

One suspects the price of a match will be near to the cost of stadium admission. That would make sense. You still save on travel, cost of programme and cost of warm beer and cold chips.

But who does the money go to?  Stadium admission goes to the track. How much of the streaming fee goes to the track?  Can’t see how it benefits track promotions.

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

But who does the money go to?  Stadium admission goes to the track. How much of the streaming fee goes to the track?  Can’t see how it benefits track promotions.

If I was a promoter, I wouldn't let anyone stream my meetings unless they paid. That would go for video stream or audio stream.

You can't give it away. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Surely any percentage of the streaming revenue from 50-100 punters from the away team is better than nothing? 

39 minutes ago, prodons said:

Surely any percentage of the streaming revenue from 50-100 punters from the away team is better than nothing? 

Not if 250 home “fans” stay away

It could be a good thing, or it could be a bad thing...I'm not sure.

Anyone remember the Bet365 streaming service from a couple of years ago? That didn't last long did it?

I assume this one will be paid for on a pay-per-view basis? So where does the money go? Is there a BSPZzz oligarch who will be trousering 40% of revenues again, like with the Sky Sports deal, or is this genuinely for the benefit of the Championship clubs and they will get a fair share of the revenue?  Questions need answering.

And how long before the "usual suspects" on BSF start distributing the links to the streams like what happens with Polish and Swedish speedway matches, meaning that all the "genuine fans" belonging to BSF will opt for the "free" links rather than spending their money on the subscriptions that will fund the sport?

Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to a meeting...and invites a gang of his mates around to have a "watch the speedway party"...bring your own food and booze, etc...how will that one subscription compensate for a whole gaggle of people who now won't be paying their admission on the door because they can watch the racing on TV, and not have to pay stadium prices on food and drink, and of course they can download their own race cards off BSF too, so they won't need a/several programmes?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to a meeting...and invites a gang of his mates around to have a "watch the speedway party"...bring your own food and booze, etc...how will that one subscription compensate for a whole gaggle of people who now won't be paying their admission on the door because they can watch the racing on TV, and not have to pay stadium prices on food and drink, and of course they can download their own race cards off BSF too, so they won't need a/several programmes?

Conversely, Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to an away meeting…and invites a gang of his mates around to have a “watch the speedway party” …. Bring your own food and booze, etc.. a few of whom have never been to a track before…  but after watching decide to join his mate at their local track.  It can work both ways.

You can either sit back and do nothing “out of fear” or try something new. The sit back and do nothing approach hasn’t worked so far, so I applaud this new venture and hope it provides a catalyst to grow the sport.

• Like 7

when you reg with the streams and put in yer details  bank stuff n post code . you will have to be a certain distance  from the track that will be streaming the event . Glasgow/Edinburgh done this  i   believe , so no impact on the gate  . i i streamed a few fra Glasgow and Edinburgh . the Ashfield ones were the best , where as the Edinburgh ones were were 1990s quality . OOPPSS :shock:

3 hours ago, pvm said:

It can work both ways.

Assuming that your team getting hammered at an away track proves an attractive proposition to a newcomer...???

Only time will tell...fingers crossed it works.

Edited by uk_martin

4 hours ago, jenga said:

when you reg with the streams and put in yer details  bank stuff n post code . you will have to be a certain distance  from the track that will be streaming the event . Glasgow/Edinburgh done this  i   believe , so no impact on the gate  . i i streamed a few fra Glasgow and Edinburgh . the Ashfield ones were the best , where as the Edinburgh ones were were 1990s quality . OOPPSS :shock:

VPN

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jenga said:

You can VPN to get around that but that isn't what is being offered anyway.

Based on the press release it's a subscription (annual/monthly?) for 30+ matches in total streamed from all of the tracks.  With 11 teams that's only 2 or 3 matches from any one track.  So 2 or 3 home matches which clubs might notice reduced gate receipts.  Worth the risk if the income generated from the subscriptions exceeds those potential losses. There are a number of ways that the subscription income could be split and presumably each promoter has agreed to the method.

Presumably each team will feature in a similar number of away fixtures to make the subscription equally attractive to all 11 clubs supporters and I guess it will be more like Newcastle at Plymouth than streaming a local derby to protect gate receipts.

So it does look like they're trying to minimise the impact on gate receipts. I hope it's a great success, the pricing will of course be critical in determining if it is.  Bearing in mind there might be a few subscriptions required next season if you want to follow all televised speedway. 

• Like 1

i would rather pay for the stream and support this offer of watching UK speedway 

the danish , and other variation of speedway meetings abroad  do not interest me at all  , but thanks anyway .

lets hope it isnt too overpriced .

Edited by jenga

5 hours ago, jenga said:

lets hope it isnt too overpriced .

They stand no chance of fulfilling that desire. If it's set at £15 people will say it's only worth £10. If it's set at £10, people will complain that it isn't worth more than £5. A no-win situation. 

I think that they are hoping to create a core of viewers who will subscribe to all the meetings being shown and making their money that way, rather than hoping that 10 or 12 people will be interested enough in an away meeting that they will pay-as-they-go. 

How does this postcode recognition work? Do people who are within a given distance get charged the same price for the stream as they would at the gate to deter the lazy stay-at-homes, and those from a distance away get it cheaper? What technology prevents illegal rebroadcasts per what happens with Polish & Swedish TV streams?