British Speedway Forum
Marksman

Championship Streaming Channel

29 minutes ago, enotian said:

I wonder if lots of the streaming subscriptions are from 'lapsed' fans, who no longer have a local team to follow, if the BSPL will reconsider allowing teams without a home track to compete?

For example if there are a load of Cradley Heath fans out there would you get more subscribing if a team representing them was in action? Obviously not as a league team but maybe in a stand alone pairs of 4TT competition, where you wouldn't need to stage a home fixture. Sure the link would be tenuous but if there was a fixed pair or four branded as the Heathens then those 'lapsed' fans could identify with them.

In general if you're trying to sell streaming matches/subscriptions to as many folk as possible the more teams involved in each fixture broadcast the better. That way you're appealing to a wider market and less reliant on neutral customers.  Ultimately will a successful streaming channel end up in the formation of a bespoke pairs or 4TT competition, to maximise subscriptions? Leaving the 7 man team league competition to the hardcore following?

I think those in charge have made it clear that 'nomad teams' were very much off the agenda..

I do think your idea does have some mileage though...

In the SS interview it does say that 'lapsed fans' are very much a target market...

And that market is much greater I would say than those who currently go....

Championship League Riders Final, 4TT's  etc could be a possible decent money spinner given, as you say, many teams' involvement and the bonus being both comps would deliver a credible offering with no guests....

It may encourage all the "stars" to turn up too given a wider exposure...

Edited by mikebv

A lot of fantastical wishful thinking being employed here to justify the operating model they have chosen.

Most people remain very 'their team' orientated. That is why so many do not migrate to their next nearest track when 'theirs' closes.

If you were a Swindon, Reading or Coventry fan and were amenable to watching teams that were not your own, then the option to go elsewhere was there. And those that did, and continue to do so, may find this good news. Saves travelling.

But the so-called target audience are those that didn't want that at all, and were lost to the sport because 'their' team closed; they will remain lost as there is nothing new here that resurrects their dead team for them to be enticed back. Just a load of matches between teams that do not have their interest at all.

Edited by Grand Central

14 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

A lot of fantastical wishful thinking being employed here to justify the operating model they have chosen.

Most people remain very 'their team' orientated. That is why so many do not migrate to their next nearest track when 'theirs' closes.

If you were a Swindon, Reading or Coventry fan and were amenable to watching teams that were not your own, then the option to go elsewhere was there. And those that did, and continue to do so, may find this good news. Saves travelling.

But the so-called target audience are those that didn't want that at all, and were lost to the sport because 'their' team closed; they will remain lost as there is nothing new here that resurrects their dead team for them to be enticed back. Just a load of matches between teams that do not have their interest at all.

Who says that’s the total target audience ?

When ‘ my team ‘ are featured away from home and I’m not able to attend I’ll be tuning in to watch and so will many , many of the clubs fans who can’t/ won’t travel to the likes of Poole or Plymouth mid week. 
It’s not all aimed at non attenders who don’t have a home track. Only time will tell how it affects every club but Edinburgh and Redcar think it worked for them last season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Who says that’s the total target audience ?

When ‘ my team ‘ are featured away from home and I’m not able to attend I’ll be tuning in to watch and so will many , many of the clubs fans who can’t/ won’t travel to the likes of Poole or Plymouth mid week. 
It’s not all aimed at non attenders who don’t have a home track. Only time will tell how it affects every club but Edinburgh and Redcar think it worked for them last season.

NO one AFAIK ever mentioned 'total target audience' ... Except you.

I was just talking about that particular element as mentioned in SS by the people involved, and expanded on by others here.

Edited by Grand Central

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

I think those in charge have made it clear that 'nomad teams' were very much off the agenda..

Money talks. Not sure why they outlawed them as I assume they'd add a few to the attendance even for a 2nd half.

But with streaming it's potentially somewhat more lucrative.

You could even solve the double up/down fiasco.

Create a standalone (think the Hundred) 16 franchise league, run on a 4TT basis so distinct from the PL and CL. Made up of some active tracks and some  ghost franchises (Heathens, Hammers, Don's, Racers, Falcon's etc). Each franchise has five home matches and 15 away. Ghost franchises home matches held at a neutral track (i.e. Heathens at Wolverhampton/Birmingham) or at one of the other three tracks in the fixture.  That would give the 16 teams and 64 riders 20 fixtures (plus grand final(s)) replacing the need to ride in both the PL and CL.  The PL could remain at the same level (maybe add Poole and Glasgow) with the CL standard reduced to a sustainable CL/NL hybrid using British based riders only, with only U21 british riders allowed to double up to aid their career path.

Regardless, if you've identified a bigger market, via streaming, you've then got to consider what that bigger market wants to see.  I'd venture that's not one sided home wins with limited action on a poorly prepared track.  So it's not just about finding a new way to sell your product but also how that product can be improved to appeal to the larger market. Interesting to see how this pans out.

3 hours ago, Grand Central said:

The way I read the story in the Star was that the lapsed fan was just one of their target audiences and not their sole business model.

Other than screening the current championship teams racing against each other, I’m not sure what else the BSN could be designed to do.

Ive read here lots of times that speedway should be aiming to pull in fans outside the existing fan base, and I can’t see a problem in aiming to do that.

What do you think that BSN should be doing if not showing the current championship. What else could they show?

I’ve just seen the prices and for just about the first time in my life time following British Speedway, I think it’s decent value.

£11.99 per match, 17.99 monthly or £109 for the season.

If you are a general speedway fan who watches any match on TV then £109 for over 30 matches represents pretty good value I would say. Likewise the £11.99 for one match isn’t high enough to make people stay home who would normally go but reasonable to expect an away fan to pay it. Decent value all round. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

I’ve just seen the prices and for just about the first time in my life time following British Speedway, I think it’s decent value.

If you are a general speedway fan who watches any match on TV then £109 for over 30 matches represents pretty good value I would say. Likewise the £11.99 for one match isn’t high enough to make people stay home who would normally go but reasonable to expect an away fan to pay it. Decent value all round. 

If that`s decent value - wonder what you think Fanseat streaming represents ? All Swedish and Danish top flight league matches  plus French league- a total of over 140 matches available live and on demand for around £ 100( 9 months- price not announced yet to include Denmark) I know what i`m going to pay for :)

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Najjer said:

I think the pricing structure is spot on....

My only concern is around how much Speedway is currently available to watch and whether that will impact it...

I can watch the top leagues in the UK Monday, Sweden Tuesday, Denmark Wednesday, Poland Friday and Sunday, and GP/SEC on a Saturday...

As well as 2nd and 3rd Div in Poland Saturday and Sunday..

That is a lot of Speedway...

Hope it works out...

Another spin off which may be worth pursuing is similar to the way some Sunday League Football teams are making big money out of doing their own highlight streams post match, on YouTube, with plenty of background interviews with the players, making many of them very well known, and making them "personalities" locally who are subsequently being recognised within those local communities..

Local communities who recognise the teams and players, go to watch the matches, but also benefit from the raised profiles of the teams through charity contributions raised by the clubs..

A couple of thousand or so "subscribers" to a clubs YouTube channel would certainly be a plus...

• Like 1

I think I will wait and subscribe just for October at £17.99 as I'm likely to get 12 of the 30 matches for that price ;):P

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I think I will wait and subscribe just for October at £17.99 as I'm likely to get 12 of the 30 matches for that price ;):P

You jest...

But actually I bet there would be a massive take up just to watch the play offs only at the end of the season ...

Is this part of a well thought out 'strategy' or just something they have not yet twigged ?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Think these maybe introductory prices....bet they will be a lot more if you sign in October

17 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Think these maybe introductory prices....bet they will be a lot more if you sign in October

The season pass is introductory as far as I can see

The monthly and one off prices appear to be the standard from how I read the release 

1 hour ago, FromBendThree said:

You would surely put a "Play Off Package" together seperately wouldn't you? 

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The season pass is introductory as far as I can see

The monthly and one off prices appear to be the standard from how I read the release 

The advert says early bird prices for both monthly and yearly so I’d be amazed if you could sign up for the playoffs for that price

• Thanks 1