British Speedway Forum

WHEN SOUTH AFRICA HAD SPEEDWAY

There was a time when speedway flourished in South Africa. Those days sadly have long gone. Much of the sport's historic past are recaptured in this website. IMO it is an excellent historical speedway item. Click the link to view - an enjoy:

https://www.speedway-sa.com

While speedway has ceased in South Africa I understand that Flat Track racing still takes place.

1 hour ago, JohnHyam said:

While speedway has ceased in South Africa I understand that Flat Track racing still takes place.

Yes indeed, because flat track bikes and equipment is far easier to get out there compared to the very special speedway bikes. Flat track racing is even already popular in some of the other African countries, such as Zimbabwe  https://www.herald.co.zw/flat-track-racing-back-at-dbrook/

By the way, South Africa still has plenty of speedway tracks, but just like in NZ or Australia most are nowadays used for the sprintcars/speedcars/Stockcars racing only. But there is also still a small but dedicated band of Speedway Sidecar racers out there in the Jo'burg area.

• Like 1

Screenshot_2023-01-15-20-29-05-32_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817 (2).jpg

• Like 1

I think Denzil Kent is their most recent prominent riders. I believe he was quite a character! 

21 hours ago, Puma23 said:

Screenshot_2023-01-15-20-29-05-32_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817 (2).jpg

Braai, I believe, is a BBQ! I'm not sure the wokes in the UK would let the advert get away with 'maybe the ladies can bring a salad & a camp chair'! :D 

Bugger! I would love to have gone to that get-together but I'm only seeing it now.

I'm told that motor sport in general is not that popular any more here in South Africa although I really only follow speedway.

I think it was sometime back in the 70's when I saw the World Champions travelling circus (with riders like Olsen and Briggs) riding at the old Wembley track in Johannesburg.  Those days seem to long gone! It's sad when you think that South Africa has produced world class riders like Henry Long and Doug Davies in the past. Doug was one of my favorite riders when I supported New Cross back in the 60's. 

• Like 1

Kenya and Uganda had speedway and grass-track racing in 60' and 70' propably 80' too. Track were in Nairobi (2 or more) and in Kampala. There were also some riders from Zambia.

Ivan Smith on track in Nairobi, 1965. Grass-track racing.

Screenshot_2023-01-26-12-54-40-60_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-26-18-13-59-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puma23 said:

Screenshot_2023-01-26-18-13-59-90_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Great image!