British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

New, New Cross memories

1 hour ago, nw42 said:

Maybe it's time to put the silly old bugger on ignore, if everyone did it then we'd never see his posts again, he'd never be quoted, it would be as though he didn't exist at all.  Although I don't know if the ignore facility covers new thread titles, either way it's nauseating having to trawl through his inane ramblings, he's like a one man wrecking crew and he's probably proud of himself, wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real life setting with normal people, they would just boot him out of the room. 

Obviously you have no idea of my extremely long association over many years in regard to speedway? 

37 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Obviously you have no idea of my extremely long association over many years in regard to speedway? 

The problem, John, is that you have admitted yourself that you lost interest in speedway in the 1950's. Since then, while you have had an "association", you have had very little interest or knowledge.

If you concentrate on the period about which you DO possess interest and knowledge, it would be so much better for EVERYONE, not least yourself.

• Like 1

Great photo showing the entrance and speedway track. With the Den in the background

Ist möglicherweise ein Bild von Zug und Eisenbahn

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Great photo showing the entrance and speedway track. With the Den in the background

Great photo….but I can't see John there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

This is a very interesting photo of speedway right in the centre of London, can you imagine that these days??? Can someone tell me who the team was who raced there, and what the other stadium is? Thanks... I've found the location on google maps and it's just parklands now, very sad...

6 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

This is a very interesting photo of speedway right in the centre of London, can you imagine that these days??? Can someone tell me who the team was who raced there, and what the other stadium is? Thanks... I've found the location on google maps and it's just parklands now, very sad...

It's New Cross (famously featured in the film "Once a Jolly Swagman" starring Dirk Bogarde and Bill Owen amongst others) with Millwall's ground in the background. I visited some years ago and saw the new "Den" while the old stadium had just been demolished and there was some evidence of the old New Cross if you looked hard enough but it's just now a recreation ground.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:21 PM, iris123 said:

Just caught up with this one...that's how I remember it when I visited back in the nineties.

37 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Just caught up with this one...that's how I remember it when I visited back in the nineties.

Same here. Although i do remember seeing the remnants of terracing that was curved, so must have been one of the bends. Something that always fascinated me, finding remnants of old stadia etc from the time i saw a report on finding the old terracing from an early Woolwich Arsenal stadium in someones back garden

• Like 1

19 hours ago, norbold said:

Great photo….but I can't see John there.

He's still on the bus.

• Like 1

Great photos of a track I sadly never got to visit. Is the area shown  around  the Old Kent road atough area these days-streetcrime etc.? Is it still a white working class area ?

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Great photos of a track I sadly never got to visit. Is the area shown  around  the Old Kent road atough area these days-streetcrime etc.? Is it still a white working class area ?

Can you expand on that question and explain what your real meaning is?

• Like 1

Sure Norman, it was a genuine question on my part. On my last visit to London- I walked around Plaistow and did wonder where the old East End white cockneys had gone? So I wondered if the same thing applied down the Old Kent Road. Before anybody raises the old Racist card, I was just wondering if the same changes had occurred around OKR. Also it seems from what we read here that there is a lot more petty and gang crime in areas of the old East End and wondering whether the same applied there. Just a request for knowledge -no hidden  motives, but it seems that things have become so divisive you can't ask a question without raising the spectre of being questioned by the Political Correctness brigade (not that I am suggesting you are part of that movement Norman).