British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Speedway riders in adverts

Max Grosskreutz - JungleKey.co.uk Image

Seen this ad, and it looks like Ovaltine had a fairly long association with speedway. Ron Johnson , Malcolm Craven of West Ham and Mart Seiffert of Wimbledon are others featured

I guess in the pre-war and probably post war eras, a number of products used speedway riders. Of course the famous cigarette series are well known. What others were there ?

• Like 1

I remember a Marathon (or possibly Mars) advert that was filmed at a meeting at Wimbledon.

There was also a Durex advert which had a Speedway rider in a Durex race jacket and the words: "Crowd Stopper" emblazoned across it. I can't remember who the rider was though.

• Like 1

Back in the 1950s, most of the top riders advertised Astorias cigarettes! :o

Sorry, iris, just noticed you mentioned the cigarette adverts.

Edited by norbold

36 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Max Grosskreutz - JungleKey.co.uk ImageI guess in the pre-war and probably post war eras, a number of products used speedway riders. Of course the famous cigarette series are well known. What others were there ?

In those days, it was macho to smoke. Today, it's macho to have tattoos on your neck and bits of metal sticking out of your face...

I just found a couple of Tommy Price, advertising Quaker Oats and Goodyear Tyres...

45 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I remember a Marathon (or possibly Mars) advert that was filmed at a meeting at Wimbledon.

If we're thinking of the same advert, I definitely remember a Mars advert ( I think late 70s), involving speedway.    I think there was a series of adverts on the "work, rest and play" theme, showing someone doing their day job and then enjoying some kind of sport in the evening.    All I can remember of the speedway one was the bloke stood on the terraces eating a Mars bar as the bikes raced into the first turn, and he says "I hope Pete wins tonight".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Flag said:

There was one with Havvy in the nineties, can’t remember what was been advertised though

Was that the poster advert for Lucozade?  Seen mainly pasted on bus shelters?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PotteringAround said:

Yes that’s the one

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

There was also a Durex advert which had a Speedway rider in a Durex race jacket and the words: "Crowd Stopper" emblazoned across it. I can't remember who the rider was though.

Pretty sure it was Colin Richardson.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Pretty sure it was Colin Richardson.

Upright Speedway on Twitter: "#AdBreak #SpeedwaySells  https://t.co/xKhqDlkAlQ" / Twitter

• Like 1

Looks more like Kai Niemi

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

Looks more like Kai Niemi

Nope. It's Colin...

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

Nice tagline. This was mentioned in a backtrack interview recently with Colin Richardson. Bonus was he got loads of them. Surprised they didn't use Roger Johnnies instead... 

1 hour ago, Red Flag said:

There was one with Havvy in the nineties, can’t remember what was been advertised though

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

Yep. Lucozade with simply GRIT emblazoned across a pic of Havvy. I confess I tried to nick one for my student pad in Edinburgh at the time....until a police car pulled up and asked why I was whacking a bus shelter with a grolsch bottle. I had more testosterone than brains back then. Cool poster though :)

Edited by falcace
  • Haha 1