Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bri1966

Will people be able to afford to go

41 minutes ago, Technik said:

The working enviroment for most of us has changed so much, Where I was working when I used to go all over to watch Speedway there were 12 to 15 blokes on the floor so if I wanted to shoot off early to a speedway track there was cover as long as I stepped in when they wanted to get away early, Now there are only 4 blokes & 2 of them are drivers so the cover is not there.

Then there is the cost of fuel now at record prices. But the biggest issue is plain & simple the timing & the VFM I used to go & expect to see the first race at 7:30 with the parade 15 minutes earlier then there would be a whole meeting 13/15 races, To the bar for a pint & a chat & watch 6/8 second half races & I could leave happy at 9:30 latest.

For speedway to save it's self & encourage people like Steve Roberts back as regulars it needs to be run in a manner that gives the paying public any chance to believe they are getting VFM

Hopefully, (Covid willing), I will get to travel around Europe watching the Polish Leagues, the GP's and the SON..

Got my Cardiff ticket already...

Will spend a fair few quid taking me and my lad on flights, hotels and tickets etc, however....

The Speedway I watch will be a credible offering featuring the best in the world...

Sadly neither will be on show in the UK...

Hence, on the main, I keep my money away from the UK promoters, save for (maybe), a couple of last minute decisions on "pleasant evenings" during the summer when you can guarantee the meeting is on (and no guests are there)...

The Peter Craven meeting always seems to provide great racing so that too may get a visit depending on line up and weather on the night...

Who knows, maybe one day UK Speedway will at least equal the sum of its parts, and crowd levels rise accordingly....

Interesting reading here, a good starting point for 2022 the promoters would be to get their priorities rearranged maybe something more like this:

1. Promote & advertise your race meetings, set your gate targets much higher then break even.

2. Present the riders with a well prepared race track & put extra effort/cash in as & when when required.

3. Have a few pre-season seminars for promoters & presenters in "How to present a speedway meeting for YOUR fans".

4. Have clean & presentable toilets that you would be happy for your own Wife, Daughter or family member to use.

"5" Delete from your existing mindset "Must get in the playoffs @ all cost". 

My 55 years in speedway tells me I will have more chance of seeing pigs fly then even one promoter taking on board what I've said!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Interesting reading here, a good starting point for 2022 the promoters would be to get their priorities rearranged maybe something more like this:

1. Promote & advertise your race meetings, set your gate targets much higher then break even.

2. Present the riders with a well prepared race track & put extra effort/cash in as & when when required.

3. Have a few pre-season seminars for promoters & presenters in "How to present a speedway meeting for YOUR fans".

4. Have clean & presentable toilets that you would be happy for your own Wife, Daughter or family member to use.

My 55 years in speedway tells me I will have more chance of seeing pigs fly then even one promoter taking on board what I've said!

Interesting to note that one promotion that are doing that is Isle of Wight. They certainly do 1, 2, 4 and 5 (and much more besides) and I am sure Barry and Martin would be quite happy to do 3. 

Any yet they have opted to operate outside the BSPA and league structure. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

One promotion already do what you have suggested but sadly are not in the BSPL but last season ran a successful season on the Isle of Wight. 

Hopefully in the future they will be able to back into the league AND allowed to provide the show they did this last season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

Interesting to note that one promotion that are doing that is Isle of Wight. They certainly do 1, 2, 4 and 5 (and much more besides) and I am sure Barry and Martin would be quite happy to do 3. 

Any yet they have opted to operate outside the BSPA and league structure. 

They are using a model which seems to bring success in the USA and Oz in particular...

Having seen it at first hand in the States it certainly "brings the town out", and you can easily spend 3 hours watching what goes on due to the variety of racing that is on offer, without once thinking, "this is dragging"...

For some, Speedway will always be about team racing (ironic given it is such an individual sport), but sadly, in this country, the lines get blurred somewhat meaning it isn't really a "proper team sport", hence in lots of places only die hards remain...

A shame really, because the raw product is a good as it ever has been for me, hence the IOW use it as their "core product", then build the rest of the "event" around it....

With VFM being the overall aim of what they deliver...

Give people what they want, at a price point that they are willing to pay, and guess what? They more than likely will come back...

Who knew?  :D

The next couple of years will see who can really promote their business and provide a credible offer at a price point which enough find acceptable to purchase, and that just isn't in Speedway but all business's...

Maybe two teams per meeting, seven riders per team (any ad hoc seven riders per team I should have said), has had its day after so many decades and new ideas will flourish...?

And that radical overhaul and reset that should have taken place during lockdown, actually does take place, and subsequently delivers a bright new dawn...?

(He laughed knowingly as several porcine looking animals were flying passed his window..)....:D

Edited by mikebv

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Hopefully, (Covid willing), I will get to travel around Europe watching the Polish Leagues, the GP's and the SON..

Will spend a fair few quid taking me and my lad on flights, hotels and tickets etc, however....

The Speedway I watch will be a credible offering featuring the best in the world...

Hence, on the main, I keep my money away from the UK promoters, save for (maybe), a couple of last minute decisions on "pleasant evenings" during the summer when you can guarantee the meeting is on (and no guests are there)...

The Peter Craven meeting always seems to provide great racing so that too may get a visit depending on line up and weather on the night...

Who knows, maybe one day UK Speedway will at least equal the sum of its parts, and crowd levels rise accordingly....

At least you will be watching some creditable speedway for your money.Enjoy:t:

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

For Great VFM I'd recomend the Golden Helmet weekend in Pardubice, Czech Republic. in 2022 they will host the final round of the SEC on the Friday, On Saturday there will be the FIM Flat Track GP round & their U21 Golden Helmet event followed on Sunday with The Golden Helmet. That will be around 80 speedway stars from around the World on show + the Flat Track riders all taking part in over 100 races over three days. All on the same track.

If that is still not enough On the Monday night you can get to Prague for the Lubos Tomicek Memorial meeting. This will normally feature many SGP stars + some that will have ridden in the previous events in Pardubice.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

At least you will be watching some creditable speedway for your money.Enjoy:t:

The Div 1 pairs event that is being ran in the UK could also be worth a visit...

Depending on who is there obviously...

If it ends up with Scott and Bomber riding for three teams each on the night it gets to your track then it might not be worth it...:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 1

With speedway all but dead here in the South East, the last race is fast approaching for me. I will support Iwade's return to the NDL, but my nearest professional venue will be Oxford. A costly midweek round trip of over 150 miles, and all the traffic and weather uncertainties that go with it. I always felt that when there was no local tracks left, the game would be up.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 6:35 PM, mikebv said:

Just as a sidenote, a friend at work has just been home to Poland for 10 days and got a return flight for £9 in and out of Stansted, so if you have the time on your hands, a trip to see the top riders might be cheaper than commuting here... 

Looking at the amount of quality cars in the Blunsdon car park when Swindon rode some peeps can afford it. If it's promoted correctly, e.g. IOW, and good VFM fans will turn up. I will travel the 30 miles up to Ox for a few meetings.