British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Original BL stadiums still operating speedway.

I got to thinking which of the British League stadiums of 1965 are still operating as speedway venues- I came up with three only- Poole, Sheffield and Newcastle, and I think maybe some of them had a couple of  years when they closed. Before anybody tells me King's Lynn- as I recall they were running open meetings in 1965 and joined the BL in 1966. This is very depressing although I am not sure of the status of the Abbey Stadium. However did we get to this state where only 3 of the 18 are still speedway venues.

Oxford are back...

Not just speedway, though. Taking the First Division clubs in 1965-66, we have lost Filbert Street, White Hart Lane, Boleyn Ground, Highbury, Roker Park, and County Ground. In Division 2, we have lost Maine Rd, The Dell, Highfield Rd, Leeds Rd, Millmoor, Baseball Ground, Burnden Park, Gigg Lane, Ninian Park, and Ayresome Park.

It's called "progress" (or so they claim).

Edited by chunky

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Oxford are back...

Not just speedway, though. Taking the First Division clubs in 1965-66, we have lost Filbert Street, White Hart Lane, Boleyn Ground, Highbury, Roker Park, and County Ground. In Division 2, we have lost Maine Rd, The Dell, Highfield Rd, Leeds Rd, Millmoor, Baseball Ground, Burnden Park, Gigg Lane, Ninian Park, and Ayresome Park.

...and further down the leagues Oxford Utd's original Manor Ground when they transferred to the soulless Kassam Stadium to which there are plans apparently to re-locate near to Kidlington?

9 hours ago, chunky said:

Oxford are back...

We haven't actually lost White Hart Lane. It has been modernised/redeveloped, but the stadium is still on the same site as it was

14 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I got to thinking which of the British League stadiums of 1965 are still operating as speedway venues- I came up with three only- Poole, Sheffield and Newcastle, and I think maybe some of them had a couple of  years when they closed. Before anybody tells me King's Lynn- as I recall they were running open meetings in 1965 and joined the BL in 1966. This is very depressing although I am not sure of the status of the Abbey Stadium. However did we get to this state where only 3 of the 18 are still speedway venues.

Ipswich were also running Open meetings in 1965.

On the subject of 1965, what did these 4 tracks have in common?

Cowdenbeath, Ipswich, K.Lynn, Rayleigh.

Edited by Sotonian

15 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Sheffield were closed for two years, 1989 and 1990 if memory correct.

15 hours ago, Andrew said:

Wolves at Monmore.

But closed 81-2 I believe.

2 hours ago, 847084 said:

But closed 81-2 I believe.

'81 was National League when  Hans Nielsen?? / Dam McCormick / CVS?? decided it was better to run Birmingham in the top division and stuff Wolves! 

'82 '83 Wolves were shut until the Pete Adams revival.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sotonian said:

Ipswich were also running Open meetings in 1965.

On the subject of 1965, what did these 4 tracks have in common?

Cowdenbeath, Ipswich, K.Lynn, Rayleigh.

They staged World Championship qualifying rounds? Weymouth also staged at least one open meeting in 1965.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chadster said:

They staged World Championship qualifying rounds? Weymouth also staged at least one open meeting in 1965.

Correct! All were open license venues that staged WCQR meetings. There was hardly a shortage of tracks then so I wonder what the rationale was?

1 hour ago, Sotonian said:

There was hardly a shortage of tracks then so I wonder what the rationale was?

Shocking thought, I know, but perhaps they wanted to PROMOTE the sport!

• Like 1

Well done chadster, I couldn't have answered that- I do recall them holding WCQR meetings though, and I agree with Chunky-they just wanted to promote speedway at different venues. One name of the participants stuck in my mind- Leo Ramm-does anybody recall him?

Also is it true that Cowley are reopening? That would be great!! What about the Abbey Stadium will they keep going?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Well done chadster, I couldn't have answered that- I do recall them holding WCQR meetings though, and I agree with Chunky-they just wanted to promote speedway at different venues. One name of the participants stuck in my mind- Leo Ramm-does anybody recall him?

Also is it true that Cowley are reopening? That would be great!! What about the Abbey Stadium will they keep going?

It certainly seems that Oxford are back this year!

There are a lot of rumours - mostly negative - about what us happening at Swindon, but apparently, they are planning on 2023.

5 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Apparently the promotion has issued a fixture list? I wish them all the best and hopefully the people of Oxford and the surrounding area will support the venture.