British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should Laguta and Emil be kicked out of the GP Series?

44 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Other sports are carrying out similar actions to Russian athletes.

Are they?

Which sports have stopped Russians from competing?

World championship downhill ski-ing must be coming up because it’s organisers/governing body have said Russian skiers are not welcome.

Sportspeople cannot wear the Russian flag nor have the national anthem played at ceremonies, it still means Russian athletes can win…. And Putin thrives on Russian world champions. He is another Hitler, their athletes are the best, Russia is best. Nothing against Artum and Emil, they maybe nice guys, but they food for Putin.   
Poland has close ties to Ukraine, many of its citizens have married Ukrainians, families are in both countries. Don’t under estimate the feelings of Poland, nor Slovakia who Russia invaded in the last 50 years, nor Sweden and Finland who are on his list of “doing a Ukraine” to them. This is a war that could go on for years, thousands of people dying, yet all that (some) English speedway supporters want is things to carry on as normal…… this is not normal.

• Like 3

I doubt Putin knows who Laguta or Saifutinov even are, ridiculous to suggest removing them from competitions, it is not their fault 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think it is likely that the Russians will be suspended from the GP series. In the short term at least. It is very sad, for sure. But many sports are already lining up to exclude Russian competitors. Should the FIM try to sidestep this issue, there will be widespread criticism despite the niche nature of our sport. We have to remember that the FIM is also the governing body of several high profile sports, so speedway is likely to treated the same as them.

Of course, the upshot will be that Jack Holder and Dan Bewley will then be promoted into the GP series full time.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I think it is likely that the Russians will be suspended from the GP series. In the short term at least. It is very sad, for sure. But many sports are already lining up to exclude Russian competitors. Should the FIM try to sidestep this issue, there will be widespread criticism despite the niche nature of our sport. We have to remember that the FIM is also the governing body of several high profile sports, so speedway is likely to treated the same as them.

Of course, the upshot will be that Jack Holder and Dan Bewley will then be promoted into the GP series full time.

Tough on Artem and Emil but a great opportunity for Dan if this is how it pans out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'd like to see what is going to happen in darts; the Russians are totally dominating the Youth game. In the boys' world rankings, they fill 2nd through 6th, and have another five in the Top 20. In the girls', they have eight out of the Top 10 (including 1st through 4th), and a further seven in the Top 20.

2 hours ago, Joseq7 said:

Not technically "under" the Russian flag are they, so no. 

They are not racing under the Russian flag nor is the Russian anthem being played at any sporting event This is nothing to do with the current situation in Ukraine but issues with drugs over a long period.

Emil Sayfutinov & Artum Laguta were representing the Russian federation (MFR) in international events last season & are due to represent them again.

My opinion is that The FIM should remove all Russian's from their events whilst the current hostile situation exists.

I understand that Emil holds a Polish passport & Like Gleb Chugenov (Russian) & Rune Holta (Norwegian) could possibly represent Poland.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Technik said:

.My opinion is that The FIM should remove all Russian's from their events whilst the current hostile situation exists.

I understand that Emil holds a Polish passport & Like Gleb Chugenov (Russian) & Rune Holta (Norwegian) could possibly represent Poland.

Whose to say Poland would want them in their national team. Looking at TV there is a strong link between Polish and Ukraine people.  If they were picked maybe the Polish fans would react and boycott meetings. Here in the uk we are remote from the situation, Poland is on top of the situ, and they know what it was like to be under the communist fist….. and they got out as soon as they could. There will not be much love for Russian government in Poland. I doubt there is a great deal of love for the Russian government in Russia, but little the masses can do about that.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Technik said:

Kind of defeats the object doesn't it. Was it Simon Wigg who rode on a Dutch license to improve his route to World Finals? Nobody would have acknowledged him as a Dutch world champion. it would have been a British win.

Important not to consider the individuals in this. Sure it will be harsh on the competitors as I'm sure they're not funded by the Russian government in any way but in these circumstances where there is no other recourse for the actions of Putin isn't it important to send the message to the Russian people that the regime which they live under (allegedly voted for) is rotten and to be ostracised by the global community. And as such isn't welcome to partake in global events.

Of course this needs to be wider than  just sporting events to make the message strong and clear.  But can you see global corporations withdrawing their produce from Russia? Forsaking profits? So it is left to sport to make a stand.

Really difficult as Russia are not the only country/regime which can be considered undesirable. I think Afghanistan are still represented in cricket competitions but we'd hardly invite the Taliban to a party. And we're all more than happy for oppressive middle eastern regimes to buy football clubs. So where does it end and who are the arbitrators of what is and isn't acceptable? Whose to say that our western beliefs are more valid than those of rogue states? We certainly don't live in utopia here in the western world.

However, I think it's fairly obvious to all concerned that the aggressive invasion of Ukraine, for what appears to be historical/egotistical reasons, is abhorrent and clearly not going to be resolved by politicians or corporations, isn't it important to let the Russian public know that the actions of their leaders are not acceptable by the rest of the World.   

• Like 1

Maybe be if athlete's/sports persons were asked to denounce their Russian regime, effectively defecting in old money, then they could compete 'without state'.

The message would be clear that they do not support the actions or wish to represent their country of birth but you still feel that they would be considered as representing Russia.

24 minutes ago, enotian said:

Maybe be if athlete's/sports persons were asked to denounce their Russian regime, effectively defecting in old money, then they could compete 'without state'.

The message would be clear that they do not support the actions or wish to represent their country of birth but you still feel that they would be considered as representing Russia.

I don’t think that would work at all. It would be difficult to denounce the country of your birth. Inevitably it would mean the pair of them to move there family out of Russia too. Not going to happen.