British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should Laguta and Emil be kicked out of the GP Series?

10 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Maybe no position on the medal table but will that stop it being celebrated on the sports pages of Russian newspapers if they win a medal, I doubt it.

They'll be more preoccupied with the body bags coming back, and the future additions to the Paralympic team...

I believe everything Russian should be regarded as Persona Non  Gratta . Whilst innocents may suffer , I also believe that the only thing that will stop Putin and his henchmen is a popular uprising. 

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 5

I initially praised Emil for his Tweet on social media but having thought about it there are 2 clear questions (Laguta too). 

1. Is it a genuine message from the heart, or is it just a personal attempt to remain employed? 

2. Or, have their Polish clubs put pressure on to remain employed that they 'MUST' show clear disdain to war? 

16 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Announced today  Russian para olympic athletes allowed to compete but no flags, mention of nationality or national anthems and no position on medal table.

Not now.As other nations were ready to pull out if the teams from Russia and Belarus competed.

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Not now.As other nations were ready to pull out if the teams from Russia and Belarus competed.

And I think that's correct. Individuals are officially representing Russian and Belarus teams (regardless of what they're called) so should not be allowed at the Paralympics.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And I think that's correct. Individuals are officially representing Russian and Belarus teams (regardless of what they're called) so should not be allowed at the Paralympics.

As do i 100%.

• Like 3

Seems FIA has not decided yet to allow, or not, Mazipin racing for Haas this year.        
However, UK has blocked him racing at Silverstone in the British GP.               
So, it will be interesting what happens if Emil and Artem are allowed in speedway GPs as to wether they can ride at Cardiff.              
Due to strong ties with Ukraine I still wonder if they can race in Polish league this year.

The way this horrific war is going I also don’t think it will be safe for  Emil and Artem to race in most places at this moment.

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WembleyLion said:

The way this horrific war is going I also don’t think it will be safe for  Emil and Artem to race in most places at this moment.

And if they denounce the war it'll probably be just as dangerous, especially if they travel to Cardiff via Salisbury! I can see both sides, they both seem like decent blokes (Emil) especially, it's a no win situation really without changing nationality but would you do that to ride Speedway and earn a good living if it meant possibly not seeing your family again.

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, WembleyLion said:

And if they do denounce the invasion, what then? Novichok and polonium for tea. Many have condemned them as cowards for not speaking out against the war, but it carries with it real dangers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, arnieg said:

And if they do denounce the invasion, what then? Novichok and polonium for tea. Many have condemned them as cowards for not speaking out against the war, but it carries with it real dangers.

That is Russia for you under  whatever totalitarian regime is in control at the time, freedom of thought and speech is limited . Interestingly Russia claims it is trying to get rid of Nazi  leaders in Ukraine but my neighbour who is Jewish  tells me that the current leaders in Ukraine are in fact Jewish.

36 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

That is Russia for you under  whatever totalitarian regime is in control at the time, freedom of thought and speech is limited . Interestingly Russia claims it is trying to get rid of Nazi  leaders in Ukraine but my neighbour who is Jewish  tells me that the current leaders in Ukraine are in fact Jewish.

That is true, the President Zelensky is Jewish.

Russia May have to give proof of what they saying. That international court based in the Haigh is now embarking on looking into claims of atrocities etc. Normally they do this years after the event. Russia will be claiming its unfair because they don’t normally act till it’s over.

If indeed Emil and Artem are against the Russian acts, it makes no difference. They are Russian by an act of birth and therefore had no  choice as to their nationality. Yes it's hard on them but the citizens of Ukraine had no choice in where they were born either and it's even bloody harder on them. Being banned from sport of a short while pales into insignificance compared to losing your life or your family.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

If indeed Emil and Artem are against the Russian acts, it makes no difference. They are Russian by an act of birth and therefore had no  choice as to their nationality. Yes it's hard on them but the citizens of Ukraine had no choice in where they were born either and it's even bloody harder on them. Being banned from sport of a short while pales into insignificance compared to losing your life or your family.

I tend to agree here. Especially in sport and culture ( i did see quite a few Russian arts and music  events have been cancelled and a few prominent Russians have left or been removed from their jobs), where they are put on a pedestal or even podium.Many competitors and spectators will feel uneasy about competing against them or paying to watch them. Sports bodies have taken the easy option far too often in the past of letting teams compete under a neutral flag. It also to a certain extent make it easier for the athlete etc, as they then don't need to make a statement that they might not even believe that could come back to bite them later

• Like 4

No way can Saifudinov and Laguta take their places in the GP series. Even as neutrals. No Russians allowed, full stop. Whilst it is hard on these riders, there is no place in sport for nothing Russian. The ban on sportsman and women must be worldwide and include polish league and Swedish league racing.

• Like 8