British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should Laguta and Emil be kicked out of the GP Series?

Simple answer to the question posed in this topic title is - YES!!!

Russian's banned from competing in the Polish leagues.

Edited by TTT

5 minutes ago, TTT said:

Russian's banned from competing in the Polish leagues.

Is that speedway, ?

3 hours ago, iainb said:

And if they denounce the war it'll probably be just as dangerous, especially if they travel to Cardiff via Salisbury! I can see both sides, they both seem like decent blokes (Emil) especially, it's a no win situation really without changing nationality but would you do that to ride Speedway and earn a good living if it meant possibly not seeing your family again.

Agreed but I'm afraid many who might be inclined to take it out on a someone they perceive as Russian may not spend too much time carrying out any prior detailed research into the precise views held by that individual. My point remains the same it is probably not safe for Emil and Artem to be riding at the moment and that has little to do with whether they denounce anything.

• Like 1

So it will be with the Russian drivers in Poland - Speedway fans

The Polish site Sportowefakty has published information that Russian citizens who have not competed for Poland on a Polish license before will be stopped from driving in the league. At present, Artem Laguta, who is a Polish citizen, has applied to drive on a Polish license, if the new information is correct, it would not matter that he receives a Polish license. Emil Sayfutdinov is also a Polish citizen, but none of them will start if the information is correct.

A driver who, on the other hand, is allowed to drive according to the new rules is Gleb Chugunov. This is because Gleb has on previous occasions driven for the Polish national team.

In order for a driver who has not driven on a Polish license before to be allowed to change, the Polish Federation requires that they renounce their Russian citizenship.

4 minutes ago, Grachan said:

So it will be with the Russian drivers in Poland - Speedway fans

The Polish site Sportowefakty has published information that Russian citizens who have not competed for Poland on a Polish license before will be stopped from driving in the league. At present, Artem Laguta, who is a Polish citizen, has applied to drive on a Polish license, if the new information is correct, it would not matter that he receives a Polish license. Emil Sayfutdinov is also a Polish citizen, but none of them will start if the information is correct.

A driver who, on the other hand, is allowed to drive according to the new rules is Gleb Chugunov. This is because Gleb has on previous occasions driven for the Polish national team.

In order for a driver who has not driven on a Polish license before to be allowed to change, the Polish Federation requires that they renounce their Russian citizenship.

Not good enough i'm afraid 

3 hours ago, arnieg said:

And if they do denounce the invasion, what then? Novichok and polonium for tea. Many have condemned them as cowards for not speaking out against the war, but it carries with it real dangers.

Agreed Arnie but my concern is that there are many who might be inclined to take it out on a someone they perceive as Russian without being that interested in firstly finding out the precise views held by that individual. My point remains the same it is probably not safe for Emil and Artem to be riding at the moment and that has little to do with whether or not they denounce anything.  

24 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Interestingly worded. Didn't Chugunov appear as a reserve for Russia in the SON a couple of years ago.  He certainly hasn't ridden for Poland in the SON which is effectively the only official international team contest. Maybe he was representing Poland in the World U21 or SGP?

23 minutes ago, enotian said:

Interestingly worded. Didn't Chugunov appear as a reserve for Russia in the SON a couple of years ago.  He certainly hasn't ridden for Poland in the SON which is effectively the only official international team contest. Maybe he was representing Poland in the World U21 or SGP?

He has ridden for Poland -  in the European under 23 Team Championship

http://www.gbspeedway.com/2021/worldcup.php?mc1=o&mc2=eu23t&mc3=x&mc4=x&champ=EU23T

1 hour ago, WembleyLion said:

Agreed but I'm afraid many who might be inclined to take it out on a someone they perceive as Russian may not spend too much time carrying out any prior detailed research into the precise views held by that individual. My point remains the same it is probably not safe for Emil and Artem to be riding at the moment and that has little to do with whether they denounce anything.

Yep, the whole world has just become a much more dangerous place... especially for Russian's. There's going to be a generation or more of Ukrainians that will have anyone or anything Russian in their sights.

Such madness smh

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, arnieg said:

He has ridden for Poland -  in the European under 23 Team Championship

http://www.gbspeedway.com/2021/worldcup.php?mc1=o&mc2=eu23t&mc3=x&mc4=x&champ=EU23T

tenuous but thanks for the info.

is that an official FIM event.  Or is it akin to Jan Graversen claiming to be a Danish international because he once round for a team called the Vikings?

Sounds like the PZM have been quite specific in their requirements to allow him to continue, a bit like the BSPL shoe horning Josh Bates into the Rising Star criteria.

My understanding is that there is, understandably, quite an anti Russian atmosphere in Poland atm. Plus those Polish speedway fans can be quite vociferous so it might be for the best if all those Russian national riders are excluded while the conflict continues. Best for all concerned IMO.

• Like 3

I don't agree myself but I can't see Laguta or Emil in the GPs this year. I guess that will mean Dan Bewley and Jack Holder will get their chance. Its a while since GB will have had 3 in the GPs.

4 hours ago, Star Lady said:

If indeed Emil and Artem are against the Russian acts, it makes no difference. They are Russian by an act of birth and therefore had no  choice as to their nationality. Yes it's hard on them but the citizens of Ukraine had no choice in where they were born either and it's even bloody harder on them. Being banned from sport of a short while pales into insignificance compared to losing your life or your family.

Humphrey Appleby will be on your case. I've said more or less the same in a few posts in this topic and he's told me I'm wrong.

9 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Humphrey Appleby will be on your case. I've said more or less the same in a few posts in this topic and he's told me I'm wrong.

Although he’s told you your wrong, you are, in fact, not wrong ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enotian said:

tenuous but thanks for the info.

is that an official FIM event.  Or is it akin to Jan Graversen claiming to be a Danish international because he once round for a team called the Vikings?

Sounds like the PZM have been quite specific in their requirements to allow him to continue, a bit like the BSPL shoe horning Josh Bates into the Rising Star criteria.

My understanding is that there is, understandably, quite an anti Russian atmosphere in Poland atm. Plus those Polish speedway fans can be quite vociferous so it might be for the best if all those Russian national riders are excluded while the conflict continues. Best for all concerned IMO.

Full list of winners. You will note that GB (and Russia) has never taken it particularly seriously. Ukraine even have a medal!

https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drużynowe_mistrzostwa_Europy_juniorów_na_żużlu

Edited by arnieg