British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should Laguta and Emil be kicked out of the GP Series?

24 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

He was born in Russia and that makes him Russian  You cannot change your home of origin/birth just by becoming a citizen of another country.

The whole situation is hugely unfair on Artem and all the other Russian athletes and sports people, but the world has to be in unison on this issue.

It makes no sense to me. Why ban a rider who the Russians have banned for speaking out against Vladimir Putin? How does that send any form of message to the Russian authorities?

It is effectively supporting the moves made by Russia.

I don't get it. How does this encourage Russian people to speak out against the war?

If anything it will make them less likely to.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

He was born in Russia and that makes him Russian  You cannot change your home of origin/birth just by becoming a citizen of another country.

Boris Johnson was born in New York. Do you consider him to be American?

Ben Stokes was born in New Zealand but plays for the England cricket team.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Boris Johnson was born in New York. Do you consider him to be American?

Ben Stokes was born in New Zealand but plays for the England cricket team.

Boris Johnson's parents are British......and Artem's parents are Russian. Get the jist?

Oh and here's a snippet from Artem's Wikipedia page with the important bit in bold;

"In April 2020, he obtained a dual national speedway licence after obtaining a Polish licence, although he will continue to represent Russia."

Artem is unfortunately as Russian as one can be.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

Boris Johnson's parents are British......and Artem's parents are Russian. Get the jist?

Oh and here's a snippet from Artem's Wikipedia page with the important bit in bold;

"In April 2020, he obtained a dual national speedway licence after obtaining a Polish licence, although he will continue to represent Russia."

Artem is unfortunately as Russian as one can be.

Did you not originally say it was about where people were born?

So what if Artem continued to represent Russia. They hadn't invaded the Ukraine then. He's not representing them any more because they have banned him for speaking out.

Surely the purpose of sanctioning Russian people was to get them to turn against Putin wasn't it? So what purpose does the West banning those that have done so and subsequently been banned in Russia? Surely they should be supported so that people are encouraged to do the same.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, severnsider said:

Jack Holder and Dan Bewley confirmed as replacing Artem & Emil

Laguta should be allowed to ride if he's at all able to. I feel that quite strongly.

This, to me, misses the point of the reason why Russian's have been expelled from the series.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

Laguta should be allowed to ride if he's at all able to. I feel that quite strongly.

This, to me, misses the point of the reason why Russian's have been expelled from the series.

Others might think that Laguta and Emil`s main consideration in saying what they have is their wallets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, severnsider said:

Cue loads of posts saying they're not good enough, better riders available etc

4 hours ago, severnsider said:

FIM quote:

"The FIM board’s decision on Russian riders’ licences can be changed at any time with immediate effect – depending on the evolution of the situation in Ukraine."

What does this mean? Are the FIM saying that Jack Holder and Dan Bewley could be pushed aside mid year to allow Artem Laguta and Emil Sayfutdinov back into the GP series? Surely not. Either they have a place for the whole year or not. Or are they treating the "temporary" absence of two Russians like they would were they injured? I think the inclusion of Jack and Dan is, in these circumstances, a real mixed bag. It's a great opportunity, of course. But knowing the investment required in terms of cost and backing from sponsors etc. it does seem like a bit of an open ended chance to make a real impact. I hope I'm wrong and the two riders concerned will just burst into the GP series and show us what they really can do on the world stage.

17 minutes ago, False dawn said:

FIM quote:

"The FIM board’s decision on Russian riders’ licences can be changed at any time with immediate effect – depending on the evolution of the situation in Ukraine."

What does this mean? Are the FIM saying that Jack Holder and Dan Bewley could be pushed aside mid year to allow Artem Laguta and Emil Sayfutdinov back into the GP series? Surely not. Either they have a place for the whole year or not. Or are they treating the "temporary" absence of two Russians like they would were they injured? I think the inclusion of Jack and Dan is, in these circumstances, a real mixed bag. It's a great opportunity, of course. But knowing the investment required in terms of cost and backing from sponsors etc. it does seem like a bit of an open ended chance to make a real impact. I hope I'm wrong and the two riders concerned will just burst into the GP series and show us what they really can do on the world stage.

You'd have to be the world's greatest optimist to even think for a single moment that there is anything 'temporary' about this. 

This is just the beginning; we are in this for the long haul.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, False dawn said:

FIM quote:

100% Artem & Emil are merely suspended so their current status is they remain part of the 2022 series. 

The situation is no different to an injured rider where the GP reserves just flit in & out. 

2 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

You'd have to be the world's greatest optimist to even think for a single moment that there is anything 'temporary' about this. 

Agreed

6 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

You could be right.

But then, "A week is a long time in politics", eh?

Just now, False dawn said:

You could be right.

But then, "A week is a long time in politics", eh?

I really don't think 'politics' describes this situation. It is War.

1 minute ago, Grand Central said:

I really don't think 'politics' describes this situation. It is War.

I think we're talking about two different things.

What's happening in Ukraine is undoubtedly a war. What's happening in the sporting community is politics.