British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should Laguta and Emil be kicked out of the GP Series?

Artem Laguta stickers removed from Bradford bus.

1 hour ago, Dornier said:

Artem Laguta stickers removed from Bradford bus.

I hope they've called Zelenskyy to tell him. That should cheer him right up. He'll know the war is all but over with this move!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HenryW said:

I hope they've called Zelenskyy to tell him. That should cheer him right up. He'll know the war is all but over with this move!

Perhaps they didn`t want the bus vandalising.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:49 AM, chris4gillian said:

... here's a snippet from Artem's Wikipedia page with the important bit in bold;

"In April 2020, he obtained a dual national speedway licence after obtaining a Polish licence, although he will continue to represent Russia."

If I were you, I wouldn't believe everything that is written in Wikipedia...It is true that Artem obtained Polish citizenship, but not the Polish (speedway) licence

8 hours ago, PolskiZuzel said:

If I were you, I wouldn't believe everything that is written in Wikipedia...It is true that Artem obtained Polish citizenship, but not the Polish (speedway) licence

What is the view among Polish fans, and the community in general, about banning Russian speedway riders, and sports people in general, from international sport over this war.???

8 hours ago, PolskiZuzel said:

If I were you, I'd say what the actual situation is if you feel you know what it is.

What I posted from Wiki is accurate as Artem has continued to represent Russia since April 2020.  Obviously the invasion of the Ukraine may have changed things, but that would've only been recently.

3 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

If I were you, I'd say what the actual situation is if you feel you know what it is.

What I posted from Wiki is accurate as Artem has continued to represent Russia since April 2020.  Obviously the invasion of the Ukraine may have changed things, but that would've only been recently.

The situation is that Laguta hasn’t a Polish Speedway licence. Wroclaw have said that they/ he is applying for one and the Polish authorities (PZM ) have said no way or put it another way on your bike !!

Edited by racers and royals
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

The situation is that Laguta hasn’t a Polish Speedway licence. Wroclaw have said that they/ he is applying for one and the Polish authorities (PZM ) have said no way or put it another way on your bike !!

You can imagine a legal challenge coming in if this continues, as it basically says there are two levels of Polish Citizenship based on whether you were born in the Country or not.

I'm not sure that fits with EU law.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:21 AM, HenryW said:

You can imagine a legal challenge coming in if this continues, as it basically says there are two levels of Polish Citizenship based on whether you were born in the Country or not.

Doesn't fit with UN or EHRC law either.

Discriminating against those of an accident of birth who've spoken against the policies of their country of the birth, is not only moralisticly wrong, but plays into the victimhood narrative of Putin. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 3:21 PM, HenryW said:

Could get messy - Polish media article(translated)

Speedway: Sanctions imposed on citizens of Russia and Belarus in retaliation for starting the war in Ukraine have not bypassed the world of sport. By the decision of the International Motorcycle Federation, the riders of these countries were removed from participation in international competitions, and the Polish Motor Association extended this ban to Polish leagues.
Slag. Multi-million damages for Artiom Łaguta and Emil Sajfutdinow?
Artiom Łaguta and Emil Sajfutdinov

All Russians were subject to sanctions, including the individual world champion - Artiom Łaguta and the third speedway rider of the globe - Emil Sajfutdinow. And it is precisely preventing these two competitors from starting in Poland that causes the greatest controversy. Both have had Polish citizenship for several years.

- In the case of the Russians, the matter is simple. PZM had the right to impose sanctions on them and they would have to suffer their sins for them. On the occasion, Polish citizens were thrown into one bag, which is absolutely unacceptable - said Jerzy Synowiec, lawyer, city councilor from Gorzów Wielkopolski, and in the past president of the local Stal.

A few days ago, Mr. Synowiec even sent an open letter to the President of the Republic of Poland and the authorities of the Polish Motor Association, in which he wrote

“Pursuant to Polish law, Polish citizens are persons who have Polish citizenship. Being a Polish citizen and, at the same time, a citizen of another country, one cannot rely on that other citizenship and the rights and obligations arising therefrom with legal effect before Polish state authorities.

A Polish citizen who is also a citizen of another state has the same rights and obligations towards the Polish state as a person who has only Polish citizenship.

Violation of such rights is contrary to the constitution and the Polish legal order. "

- The Polish Motor Association should immediately reflect and allow Artiom Łaguta and Emil Sajfutdun to start with Polish licenses. These are Polish citizens, and the fact that they have a second citizenship should not discriminate them in any way - commented the Synowiec letter. - After all, there are several hundred thousand people in Poland with double passports, including some parliamentarians, and I have not heard of anyone wanting to limit their rights for this reason. I have Belarusian roots myself and what? Should I just close my office for this? - added.

- Laguta and Saifutdinov were suspended by the Russian federation for criticizing the war and President Vladimir Putin. As a result of PZM's decision, they cannot drive in Poland either. Thus, they became basically homeless people. They will be able to seek compensation before Polish courts. I do not know how long they will be deprived of the right to practice, but even if it is only a season, it will be millions of dollars for each of them. Even if not the Polish courts, any European institution will agree with them in this case. I have no doubts about it. Unless someone ignores the undeniable fact that they are Polish citizens - assessed Synowiec.

According to the Polish Motor Association, Łaguta and Sajfutdinow entered the competition with Russian licenses in November and the regulations do not allow them to be changed. Moreover, until the imposition of sanctions on Russian speedway riders, they were not interested in competing with Polish licenses. Now, having such documents would be a salvation for them and allowed them to return to competitions both in PGE Ekstraliga and Grand Prix. Nobody in PZM, however, can imagine that after their possible triumph in the world championship competition, they would be played "Mazurka Dąbrowski"

Edited by racers and royals
  • Thanks 1

I see the Polish football manager has said one of his players who is based in Russia will not get picked for the World Cup later this year !!!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61867948

Edited by iris123

On 4/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, racers and royals said:

Could get messy - Polish media article(translated)

Speedway: Sanctions imposed on citizens of Russia and Belarus in retaliation for starting the war in Ukraine have not bypassed the world of sport. By the decision of the International Motorcycle Federation, the riders of these countries were removed from participation in international competitions, and the Polish Motor Association extended this ban to Polish leagues.
Slag. Multi-million damages for Artiom Łaguta and Emil Sajfutdinow?
Artiom Łaguta and Emil Sajfutdinov

All Russians were subject to sanctions, including the individual world champion - Artiom Łaguta and the third speedway rider of the globe - Emil Sajfutdinow. And it is precisely preventing these two competitors from starting in Poland that causes the greatest controversy. Both have had Polish citizenship for several years.

- In the case of the Russians, the matter is simple. PZM had the right to impose sanctions on them and they would have to suffer their sins for them. On the occasion, Polish citizens were thrown into one bag, which is absolutely unacceptable - said Jerzy Synowiec, lawyer, city councilor from Gorzów Wielkopolski, and in the past president of the local Stal.

A few days ago, Mr. Synowiec even sent an open letter to the President of the Republic of Poland and the authorities of the Polish Motor Association, in which he wrote

“Pursuant to Polish law, Polish citizens are persons who have Polish citizenship. Being a Polish citizen and, at the same time, a citizen of another country, one cannot rely on that other citizenship and the rights and obligations arising therefrom with legal effect before Polish state authorities.

A Polish citizen who is also a citizen of another state has the same rights and obligations towards the Polish state as a person who has only Polish citizenship.

Violation of such rights is contrary to the constitution and the Polish legal order. "

- The Polish Motor Association should immediately reflect and allow Artiom Łaguta and Emil Sajfutdun to start with Polish licenses. These are Polish citizens, and the fact that they have a second citizenship should not discriminate them in any way - commented the Synowiec letter. - After all, there are several hundred thousand people in Poland with double passports, including some parliamentarians, and I have not heard of anyone wanting to limit their rights for this reason. I have Belarusian roots myself and what? Should I just close my office for this? - added.

- Laguta and Saifutdinov were suspended by the Russian federation for criticizing the war and President Vladimir Putin. As a result of PZM's decision, they cannot drive in Poland either. Thus, they became basically homeless people. They will be able to seek compensation before Polish courts. I do not know how long they will be deprived of the right to practice, but even if it is only a season, it will be millions of dollars for each of them. Even if not the Polish courts, any European institution will agree with them in this case. I have no doubts about it. Unless someone ignores the undeniable fact that they are Polish citizens - assessed Synowiec.

According to the Polish Motor Association, Łaguta and Sajfutdinow entered the competition with Russian licenses in November and the regulations do not allow them to be changed. Moreover, until the imposition of sanctions on Russian speedway riders, they were not interested in competing with Polish licenses. Now, having such documents would be a salvation for them and allowed them to return to competitions both in PGE Ekstraliga and Grand Prix. Nobody in PZM, however, can imagine that after their possible triumph in the world championship competition, they would be played "Mazurka Dąbrowski"

Wasn't there a story that they were stopped then getting licences as well as Artem was listed as going to the training school but was blocked?