British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Should Laguta and Emil be kicked out of the GP Series?

29 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I missed this earlier. If this is the real Emil then I see no reason why anyone should be against him competing.

I don't know how, or even if, Emil and Artem voted and who for in the Russian elections but unfortunately at present they and all Russian sports persons need to be excluded from competing in other countries whether as individuals, part of a team or under a different flag.  Yes it is hard on those Russians who don't agree with Putin but what about the Ukranians whose lives have been turned upside down.  The sanctions being put in place against Russia have to be adhered to 100% as Putin seems to have completely lost the plot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

I don't know how, or even if, Emil and Artem voted and who for in the Russian elections but unfortunately at present they and all Russian sports persons need to be excluded from competing in other countries whether as individuals, part of a team or under a different flag.  Yes it is hard on those Russians who don't agree with Putin but what about the Ukranians whose lives have been turned upside down.  The sanctions being put in place against Russia have to be adhered to 100% as Putin seems to have completely lost the plot.

If they also have Polish citizenship then that would be academic anyway.

12 hours ago, HenryW said:

I'm confused by the highlighted part.

Unless I've missed something new, FIFA have said that Russia can continue to compete in World Cup qualifiers, they just aren't allowed to play in Russia.

F1 have removed the Russia GP from the calendar but they haven't done anything about drivers so far. (I expect Mazepin to lose his seat, but for purely financial reasons rather than the FIA forcing him out)

Yes Russia can still compete, although their opponents in the world cup ply offs have refused to play against them, so unless the ever corrupt FIFA change their stance they will get a bye to the world cup finals

and the F1 GP has been cancelled, although one paper has reported that they don't want people to ask for their money back on tickets yet because they might still be able to run it

I did see this a few days ago an thought it was the real Emil. Who knows, maybe both are or none

Ist möglicherweise ein Bild von Text „14:39 Instagram View all 232 comments emilracing89 Liked by annie6769 and 2,460 others emilracing89 We r brothers #Refresher #Refreshers 3 hours ago See Original“

5 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

So, how are you defining Russians in this case? Anyone born in Russia? Anyone who has ever held Russian citizenship?

Would you exclude Alexandr Loktaev from competing? He is Russian born but has had Ukrainian citizenship for at least the last 11 years and races as a Ukrainian in all international events.

He's currently in Ukraine and cannot leave because no military age Ukrainian male is allowed to leave the Country. He's still originally Russian, though, and just races under a different flag...So would you ban him? 

39 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I did see this a few days ago an thought it was the real Emil. Who knows, maybe both are or none

I'm not sure that they are actually Emil. There is no blue tick to confirm it as real, whereas Tai Woffinden's account has that. They could be fan accounts.

Edit - they could be real if you look at some of the people following the Emilsayfutdinov89, account (eg Kelvin Tatum, Jason Crump, Alun Rossiter, Jason Doyle, Darcy Ward, Natilie Quirk).

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm not sure that they are actually Emil. There is no blue tick to confirm it as real, whereas Tai Woffinden's account has that. They could be fan accounts.

The emilracing89 instagram account has a verification tick, and he posts his holiday pics with the family on there, so not something a fan would have access to.

The twitter account where the new post with the Ukraine map comes from doesn't have a verification tick, so not certain that's him, but his clubs usually use that when discussing him and you'd hope they would check with him that they were using the right account (but certianly no guarantee of that).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The IOC is now calling for a ban on all Russians from World sport.

IOC calls for ban on Russians from world sport (gulf-times.com)

After reading this statement from the IOC I don't think the FIM have any option but to exclude Sayfutinov & Laguta & all other Russians from any of their events. I would also assume they will issue a directive to all member federations to exclude any competitor or official from any events within their territory.

I understand this is a tough call on the riders but it is my opinion that we are in a forced position that we must treat all Russian nationals in the same manner. Of course there are good & bad in all aspects of life & I bere no ill will to those mentioned but we must stand united against the actions of Mr Putin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

The IOC is now calling for a ban on all Russians from World sport.

IOC calls for ban on Russians from world sport (gulf-times.com)

The IOC seems to be saying they can still compete as independent athletes, just not under any Russian banner. The Paralympics is coming up shortly, so the matter is pressing. 

The relevant text is...

"Russian or Belarusian nationals, be it as individuals or teams, should be accepted only as neutral athletes or neutral teams. No national symbols, colours, flags or anthems should be displayed."

2 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The IOC seems to be saying they can still compete as independent athletes, just not under any Russian banner. The Paralympics is coming up shortly, so the matter is pressing. 

The relevant text is...

"Russian or Belarusian nationals, be it as individuals or teams, should be accepted only as neutral athletes or neutral teams. No national symbols, colours, flags or anthems should be displayed."

Another piece of relevant text is: "If not possible for "organisational or legal reasons"".

54 minutes ago, Technik said:

After reading this statement from the IOC I don't think the FIM have any option but to exclude Sayfutinov & Laguta & all other Russians from any of their events. I would also assume they will issue a directive to all member federations to exclude any competitor or official from any events within their territory.

The IOC are not proposing to ban individuals, and if Sayfutinov & Laguta are also Polish citizens (as suggested on here earlier) then I think it's unlikely they could be banned anyway. 

I think whatever we in the UK think about the rights and wrongs of whether Emil and Artem should be allowed to ride next season , our opinions count for nothing. Neither ride for teams in the UK but in Poland , which is currently receiving thousands of Ukranian migrants across their border. They may not be as happy to see 2 Russian riders appearing in the Extraliga and GPs this coming season season as some on here are obviously happy to accept.