British Speedway Forum
mickthemuppet

Oxford back Are there any chance of other defunct tracks returning

Now Oxford are back what are the chances of other tracks returning like Coventry, Bradford, Swindon, Workington, Exeter, Arena Essex or even Reading

• Like 1

in the current economic climate?, about as much chance as me being elected Pope.

Be interesting to see how things go for Oxford. 

If it's a success over a couple of seasons that may encourage people elsewhere 

• Like 2

Never , maybe , expected , planned , never , never , never

3 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Now Oxford are back what are the chances of other tracks returning like Coventry, Bradford, Swindon, Workington, Exeter, Arena Essex or even Reading

• Like 1

Well Workington are  currently building a cracking looking track,, so expect them back in 23,, and Swindon are also meant to be back in 23,,,

• Like 1

Yes, now looking a lot more hopeful for Swindon in 23 from what I have seen. Workington at Northside might have a few open meetings this year. I know people who were involved with Lakeside are seeking the council's help in getting a new track - it would be called Thurrock (Lakeside is a shopping centre and nothing else). Not on your list, it was said there might be a few open meetings later this year at Eastbourne but not seen anything from Sussex for some time. I'm not sure if it was the new people who talked about open meetings or maybe fans hoping. We can but hope for these tracks to come back.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

You forgot Sunderland.

21 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

in the current economic climate?, about as much chance as me being elected Pope.

Thank you your Holiness.

19 hours ago, noaksey said:

Be interesting to see how things go for Oxford. 

If it's a success over a couple of seasons that may encourage people elsewhere 

Let's hope so.

18 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Never , maybe , expected , planned , never , never , never

Fingers crossed.

Edited by The White Knight
Forgot to mention something.

4 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Yes, now looking a lot more hopeful for Swindon in 23 from what I have seen. Workington at Northside might have a few open meetings this year. I know people who were involved with Lakeside are seeking the council's help in getting a new track - it would be called Thurrock (Lakeside is a shopping centre and nothing else). Not on your list, it was said there might be a few open meetings later this year at Eastbourne but not seen anything from Sussex for some time. I'm not sure if it was the new people who talked about open meetings or maybe fans hoping. We can but hope for these tracks to come back.

A lot going on in the background, hurdles to jump and finance to place but its being worked on and more than hopeful for 2023

• Like 2

Sorry to be a doom monger but even if just 4 if these tracks open up which is a strong possibility that needs another 28 riders from somewhere . Even with doubling down don't think there's enough out there

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bruno said:

Sorry to be a doom monger but even if just 4 if these tracks open up which is a strong possibility that needs another 28 riders from somewhere . Even with doubling down don't think there's enough out there

There will be a lot to factor into 2023, league structures, availability of riders, too soon to speculate about that just yet..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bruno said:

Div 2 in particular would need to drop its 'strength' and include far more Div 3 riders. Wouldn't bother me - I love watching up and comers. To be honest the main issue the sport has is costs. I don't know enough to say how bikes could be cheaper but somebody must. For me the day they allowed 4 valvers was the thin end of the wedge.

If D1 riders can make a living by reducing costs we can put an end to the ludicrous DU/DD situation and charge less to get in to reposition the sport in the leisure market where it belongs - 12/13 quid. Puts on tin hat

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, M.D said:

There will be a lot to factor into 2023, league structures, availability of riders, too soon to speculate about that just yet..

There are just the early signs that Poland may relax their rules next year and we could see more riders back in the UK. Who knows how that will shake out but we have to hope that it will be good for the sport in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

Div 2 in particular would need to drop its 'strength' and include far more Div 3 riders. Wouldn't bother me - I love watching up and comers. To be honest the main issue the sport has is costs. I don't know enough to say how bikes could be cheaper but somebody must. For me the day they allowed 4 valvers was the thin end of the wedge.

If D1 riders can make a living by reducing costs we can put an end to the ludicrous DU/DD situation and charge less to get in to reposition the sport in the leisure market where it belongs - 12/13 quid. Puts on tin hat

That was the Rudge in 1929 then.

1 minute ago, Sotonian said:

That was the Rudge in 1929 then.

whatever

usual response when someone makes a point