British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Roger Jacobs

2022 Regulations - New Super Heat after Draw!!

I've just read the bit in the star, unbelievable really. Then again

2 hours ago, frigbo said:

Reading today's article in the Speedway Star about the various rules and regs across the leagues, it just shows how shambolic the sport is. Basically, different rules to decide meetings in each league - talk about over-complicated!!

They share riders but not rules... :D

• Haha 1

I read the Star article on this today and realised just how much they miss their Managing Editor.

The article detailed the shambles that the promoters have created with ridiculous variations in regulations across the leagues; but without any enciteful, critical comment that would doubtless have come from Mr. Rising. Shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

I think they had it right with the 3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4 system. I think that worked well. They should have stuck with that.

Unbelievable that they changed that because sometimes supporters went home disappointed that they didn't get 3 points after winning at home and now have a system where home supporters might go home disappointed with not getting a point after getting a draw

The response to someone querying it says it all really. "Let's see." Brilliant.

The minimum match points for a draw is one point.

• Like 1

I started reading the article in the Star then give up half way through...the ream winning the super heat gets 3 points while the other team takes 1 point !

Seems like so many other rule changes British Speedway has conjured up over the years.  Completely needless and guaranteed to wind the fans up

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Grachan said:

I think they had it right with the 3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4 system. I think that worked well. They should have stuck with that.

Unbelievable that they changed that because sometimes supporters went home disappointed that they didn't get 3 points after winning at home and now have a system where home supporters might go home disappointed with not getting a point after getting a draw. 

The response to someone querying it says it all really. "Let's see." Brilliant.

This poster has it dead right.

When they brought in the 3-0, 2-1, 1-2, 0-3, 0-4 scoring system it was the best thing they ever did.     Very fair, and it kept most matches alive until the final heat.  From the home team trying to win by more than 6 to the away team trying to win by 6, it kept matches alive within a 12-point spread.  The only matches which didn't have anything on the last heat were runaway wins.

Even when they changed it to 3 points for every home win (because fans allegedly didn't like going home winning with only 2 points) it still covered that 12-point spread.  Home teams still needed to push for a win by more than 6;  Not to get the full 3 points, but to stop the away team getting a point.

Even with that change, I still thought it was a very good scoring system.

But this year they seem to have sat down and said  "What is the best rule we have brought in in recent times?   And how can we mess it up, to annoy fans?".

If that was the aim, they have succeeded. 

• Like 3

The only way the Super Heat Decider would add to the entertainment factor would be :- 

THE 2 LOWEST SCORING RIDERS WERE AUTOMATICALLY SEEDED TO IT.

Now that would be entertaining and perfectly sum up this ridiculous scenario.

:rofl:

Edited by secsy1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Gambo said:

The minimum match points for a draw is one point.

Shows how confusing it is!

Basically, they are potentially punishing away teams (home teams have nothing to lose) just because they think drawn matches aren't exciting ...

• Like 2

How about 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw, No tactical’s off 15 yards or otherwise. The current 15 heat formula has proved to be good and a reasonable points limit should be kept.

If promoters think they need more excitement then they should ensure their race tracks are not super slick and encourage racing as opposed to gating competitions.

Rules should be left to the SCB as the BSPL have showed over the years they are completely incapable of any reasonable improvements as this latest example shows.

All leagues should be under exactly the same rules, let’s get back to keeping it simple.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, MattB said:

Seems like so many other rule changes British Speedway has conjured up over the years.  Completely needless and guaranteed to wind the fans up

Yep 100% correct and its wound me up enough for my first post in 2022.So what abour rider relay races or piggy back whatever takes your choice.......................There you go my first post of 2022 ,thank me later when the riders have a fight during the piggy back race off!!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

How about 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw, No tactical’s off 15 yards or otherwise. The current 15 heat formula has proved to be good and a reasonable points limit should be kept.

If promoters think they need more excitement then they should ensure their race tracks are not super slick and encourage racing as opposed to gating competitions.

Rules should be left to the SCB as the BSPL have showed over the years they are completely incapable of any reasonable improvements as this latest example shows.

All leagues should be under exactly the same rules, let’s get back to keeping it simple.

The only reply I've had is from Neil Vatcher at the SCB office, who says the Super Heat is to make it exciting ...

Just another made for TV gimmick

Why does speedway constantly want to undermine what is a marathon and turn it into a toss of a coin right at the end, just to make it “more exciting”

keep doing what you always did, and you will continue to get what you always got

So basically if I’ve got this right, in theory a team who draws 10 matches but wins the super heat could be level on points with a team who wins 10 matches - only in speedway!!

• Like 1