British Speedway Forum
Berry9

Is the BSPL corrupt?

31 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I think that Speedway in latter times has been a closed shop run by and for what in my opinion is a bunch of spivs and wide boys.  They effectively forced Frost and arguably Sandhu  out of the sport and probably Ged Rathbone too. In days of yore the sport was in the hands of hard nosed business men  who however had standards and  honour and integrity. 

Hmmm didn't Ronnie Greene threaten reigning world champion Barry Briggs he wouldn't be allowed to defend his crwn unless he relented and rode for Wimbledon ? Just one o many incidents i think which proves there wasn't much honour and integrity when it came to making money

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Hmmm didn't Ronnie Greene threaten reigning world champion Barry Briggs he wouldn't be allowed to defend his crwn unless he relented and rode for Wimbledon ? Just one o many incidents i think which proves there wasn't much honour and integrity when it came to making money

Making money has ever been the main driver. However those now in charge IMO take it to a different level.

3 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Making money has ever been the main driver. However those now in charge IMO take it to a different level.

Again, i think todays promoters would love to make the sort of money earlier promoters did. They have luck if they don't make much of a loss

• Like 1

The BSPL effectively killed Rye House by allowing (persuading?) a naive promotion to move up a league and run on a Monday night. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, graeme said:

The BSPL effectively killed Rye House by allowing (persuading?) a naive promotion to move up a league and run on a Monday night. 

Didn't they also shaft Lakeside?

On 4/13/2022 at 10:47 AM, graeme said:

There were, allegedly, reasons other that naivety that caused the demise of Rye House. When clubs run out of money to pay wages half way through a season, it’s because of lack of income. When clubs haven’t even been paying the wages, you have to wonder where the money has gone.  

On 3/30/2022 at 11:32 AM, racers and royals said:

And i suppose your association with Terry Lindon was spotlessly clean ;)

As white as the DRIVEN snow.

On 3/31/2022 at 5:11 PM, wealdstone said:

I think that Speedway in latter times has been a closed shop run by and for what in my opinion is a bunch of spivs and wide boys.  They effectively forced Frost and arguably Sandhu  out of the sport and probably Ged Rathbone too. In days of yore the sport was in the hands of hard nosed business men  who however had standards and  honour and integrity. 

I’ve just spotted this. I will leave others to decide whether they categorise me as a spiv, a wide boy or both (!) but you are wide of the mark on the three names you quote. Rick Frost sold out of Peterborough but remained in the sport as the main sponsor of Poole. He has now sold out of ReadyPower but is still a welcome friend at Wimborne Road. Sandhu was only ever interested in what he could get for Brandon as development land. To my mind, the vandalism at the site pre-sale to Brandon Estates bears that out. 
I think Ged Rathbone only managed to make decent money at Peterborough when he received a substantial payment from Toruń so they could use Jack Holder even though he was committed to ride in England, and he was roundly condemned for doing so. I suspect it was that action rather than anything to do with BSPL which made him sell up.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gordon Pairman said:

I’ve just spotted this. I will leave others to decide whether they categorise me as a spiv, a wide boy or both (!) but you are wide of the mark on the three names you quote. Rick Frost sold out of Peterborough but remained in the sport as the main sponsor of Poole. He has now sold out of ReadyPower but is still a welcome friend at Wimborne Road. Sandhu was only ever interested in what he could get for Brandon as development land. To my mind, the vandalism at the site pre-sale to Brandon Estates bears that out. 
I think Ged Rathbone only managed to make decent money at Peterborough when he received a substantial payment from Toruń so they could use Jack Holder even though he was committed to ride in England, and he was roundly condemned for doing so. I suspect it was that action rather than anything to do with BSPL which made him sell up.  

We must respect your view!!  This is a genuine question not meant to be controversial , but was it you who sold Hyde Road?

Edited by wealdstone

3 hours ago, wealdstone said:

We must respect your view!!  This is a genuine question not meant to be controversial , but was it you who sold Hyde Road?

That was a chap called Stuart Bamforth in 1987, long before I had any involvement with speedway promotion. That was a dark time for the Aces for sure. I think Bamforth was really a stock car guy and he seemed to do well financially from the sale. From what I can make out, he was in his late 30s when he sold Hyde Road. He died in 2004 at the age of 55. 
He and I were born around the same year but our paths were very different. 

Edited by Gordon Pairman
  • Like 4