British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Remembering West Ham Speedway 50 years on Paradise Park Saturday 21st May

10 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Would you like mine as well :D - i`m a legend in my own lunchtime :)

If you are really Norman Hunter, then quite possibly.

Nice feature in this week’s Star.

Interesting to see the scale model for Custom House in this week’s Star. I used to sit in the home straight upper tier, above the start/finish. Happy days.

On 4/29/2022 at 1:03 PM, customhouseregular said:

Interesting to see the scale model for Custom House in this week’s Star. I used to sit in the home straight upper tier, above the start/finish. Happy days.

Didn't sit much in the upper tier except in the early days (1964) when I used to go with my cousin and Ernie Hancock and sit by the "Press Box" as Ernie always had to phone in the result. After that I sat mainly on the wall just past the start line.....and as you say....Happy Days

On 4/29/2022 at 6:03 PM, customhouseregular said:

So did I. I don't remember seeing you there!

13 minutes ago, norbold said:

So did I. I don't remember seeing you there!

You may have seen me wearing a long red and blue scarf and eating a 12” hot dog.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:42 AM, customhouseregular said:

You may have seen me wearing a long red and blue scarf and eating a 12” hot dog.

Oh, it was a hot dog. I often wondered what it was.

From memory it was called a Doozler 

I Think lot of people speedway fans will go remembering West Ham 50 Years.

On 5/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, speed29 said:

I Think lot of people speedway fans will go remembering West Ham 50 Years.

Wish I was going but too far to go for a day!

I went to the first in 1964 and nearly every meeting there after that.

I've just found my old Hammers t-shirt. It's a bit faded, but what do you expect after 60 years!? So if anyone sees an old duffer in a faded West Ham t-shirt, please come up and say hello!

2 hours ago, norbold said:

I've just found my old Hammers t-shirt. It's a bit faded, but what do you expect after 60 years!? So if anyone sees an old duffer in a faded West Ham t-shirt, please come up and say hello!

Have you tried it on- no way that still fits  :D

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Have you tried it on- no way that still fits  :D

Ah, yes. Good thinking. Amendment to my previous post: If anyone sees an old duffer in a faded West Ham t-shirt, that is at least three sizes too small for him, please come up and say hello!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, norbold said:

Ah, yes. Good thinking. Amendment to my previous post: If anyone sees an old duffer in a faded West Ham t-shirt, that is at least three sizes too small for him, please come up and say hello!

I’ll look out for you and certainly come and say ‘ello. I used to stand downstairs a few yards in front of the starting gate. I hope you or CHR weren’t the blokes who dropped your old peanut shells over the upper tier on my ‘ead !

Please not that we ‘ave to get back in the ‘abit of dropping out ‘h’s’ agen if we are celebrating Custom ‘Ouse. 

:)

3 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I’ll look out for you and certainly come and say ‘ello. I used to stand downstairs a few yards in front of the starting gate. I hope you or CHR weren’t the blokes who dropped your old peanut shells over the upper tier on my ‘ead !

Please not that we ‘ave to get back in the ‘abit of dropping out ‘h’s’ agen if we are celebrating Custom ‘Ouse. 

:)

Funny you should say that, because on one occasion I was standing looking over the edge of the upper tier with my friend, John, when a few kids came along and kicked some litter (may have been peanut shells amongst it) over the edge and scarpered sharpish. The people below looked up and swore at us because they thought it was us! So maybe you have sworn at me in a previous life, E.I.........