British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Remembering West Ham Speedway 50 years on Paradise Park Saturday 21st May

3 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Sadly It might be the case that George Barclay may no longer be with us or if he is , then he is probably very ill. I used to chat to him and his wife Linda a lot at Lakeside, then he was missing and heard he had dementia. I can’t confirm it first hand, just what I heard . If anyone can update us on him it would be appreciated.

George is/was a lovely man and a genuine Speedway fan . He ran one of the ride and slide  schools at Lakeside which put money into the club but was dumped and badly treated by Jon Cook.

I was talking to Pete Sampson and Bert Harkins about George on Saturday. They hadn't heard from him for over 12 years. However, I think he is still alive. But, as you say, E.I., May be suffering from Alzheimer's.

I also got to know him very well when we were setting up the Speedway Museum back in 2007. I used to go round his house to help plan things out as well as working with him at the museum itself. As you say, he and Linda were a lovely couple. It was all a very sad end to his involvement with the museum.

Thanks for posting that photo. 

sad to hear about Gentleman George Barclay. He used to join a group of us in the crowd on the backstraight at Lakeside, after his ride and slide schools. 

One shouldn’t  speak ill of the dead, so I won’t mention the late Mr Jon Cook. 

On 5/23/2022 at 10:26 PM, norbold said:

I was talking to Pete Sampson and Bert Harkins about George on Saturday. They hadn't heard from him for over 12 years. However, I think he is still alive. But, as you say, E.I., May be suffering from Alzheimer's.

My Sunderland correspondent sent me a photo of George in mid-August this year.  He looked cheerful, with a lovely smile on his face.  The information I received was that he was suffering from dementia and at that time was residing in a care home in Laindon, Basildon, Essex.  

On 11/28/2022 at 6:26 PM, BL65 said:

My Sunderland correspondent sent me a photo of George in mid-August this year.  He looked cheerful, with a lovely smile on his face.  The information I received was that he was suffering from dementia and at that time was residing in a care home in Laindon, Basildon, Essex.  

Does he have much memory of anything ? I used to chat with him and his wife Linda a lot at Lakeside. If he is “with it “ and can hold a bit of a conversation I’d like to go and visit him, but there’s no point if , as I fear , he has no memory,

2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Does he have much memory of anything ? I used to chat with him and his wife Linda a lot at Lakeside. If he is “with it “ and can hold a bit of a conversation I’d like to go and visit him, but there’s no point if , as I fear , he has no memory,

I have sent you a PM.  If you are able to go to see him, I hope he is still well and in good spirits.