British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

GP round 1 Gorican Saturday April 30th

5 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I think we all expected a gate 'n' go fest but racing was pretty good. Liked the 'less busy' graphics. Difficult night for Kelvin but he was a true professional.

My one beef was the refusal to acknowledge the existence of Artem & Emil. (I did fast forward thru a few bits so may have missed a reference, but in the preamble they clearly referred to ALL the world's best speedway riders - which simply wasn't true).

To be fair they mentioned both at the start. Then Laguta was mentioned a couple of times during the commentary. 

Enjoyable 1st Round.  Thought Zmarzlik might be struggling at one point but he always pulls it out of the bag when required.  He may be so good that the series is a race for silver but some of the action he provides is awesome. Like a pre-injuries Marc Marquez level above the competition.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

As I said listen to both sides and make your own judgment, when your informed from one side and the other is banned, that should raise your curiosity at least, I’m not defending Russia or Putin or Ukraine but I will say all is not what  we are being told to think (again)  

Do you mean “if so and so does this, and thingymajig does that” one nullifies the other, so it doesn’t matter.  Thing is today, there are so many bad things happening in the world, and it gets publicised so much, people tend to “put it to one side” it’s “become normal”. “It doesn’t matter”.  All lives matter.  There are 10’s of thousands killed in Ukraine, young men, older men, women, children…. nothing to do with Putins “special operation”. There are mothers in Russia, their young sons will probably never be returned even in a body bag because bodies of soldiers are just buried…..consumables to satisfy the desire of a nutter…….. it’s like Hitler all over again.  And just like the 2nd world war…… the “world” knows atrocities are happening and doing nothing…until it’s all over then court cases will be held, maybe in 10 or 20 years perpetrator’s that are still alive will face a trial. It’s all too late

• Like 5

Anyway this is a speedway forum let’s leave politics and world politics to another thread 

tonights gp I thought good entertainment commentary good  the only problem is who’s s going to stop smarzlik winning and going through the card 

• Like 1

can see Zmarzlik doing the same evry GP, he just ups his game come semi and final. the speed he gets going into corners is incredible

• Like 5

4 hours ago, HGould said:

May be they will have to find an experienced commentator from other genres of motorsports to try to take things forwards. 

What are you talking about? Kelvin Tatum is an experienced commentator, in fact he's probably got more experience now in commentating than he had riding speedway!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Why use Scott Nicholls when they could use Brando - who is a professional presenter?

I thought Brando was a professional floor manager?

Just got in, just watched it...

Do you think that his peers will ever think to ride the inside line to block Zmarzlik?

If he goes around you then fair enough.. 

But dont give the fella a free pass...

A truly superb rider but FFS he will nine times our of ten spear the bike at you into turn three...

Hint. Ride the white line against him if you get in front because he is faster than you..

Five years at least he has done the same dive bomb and been allowed to do it..

As for Woffy?..

A gradual erosion of capability which is perfectly natural given age and responsibilities increase...

Far too many times over the past few years it has been a case of "wrong place, wrong time"...

That isnt unlucky...

Top ten at best this year for Tai...

For Gorican though, a very good meeting....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

As proved in other sports Russians are still competing, its virtue signalling and history will not be kind to speedway, whoever the decision is is irrelevant, it’s wrong and quite frankly I’m disgusted in the other riders to not speaking out about it 

You see  what Russian soldiers are doing in Ukraine right ? and both of them are Russian Soldiers in reserves and i have read Laguta comments about the conflict too and he was supportive of Putin so you might want to stop this nonsense that they should be riding in GP.

Edited by pawel115
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, r8gdp said:

Russia should not be in Ukraine full stop  no arguments not their country  

Too bloody right, Russia should not be doing what they're doing, they are completely in the wrong, evil barstewards!

• Like 3

They say politics and sport should not mix TOO RIGHT.

No one can condone some of the Russian atrocities but to say Russia has no right in Ukraine is basically a 100% complete failure to understand history, certainly in parts of the Donbas region.

Who is more culpible in war, the aggressor, the defender or the Arms supplier, or all three?. War means no one is ultimately blameless.

The aggressor rightly takes the lions share of the flak but the defender can also commit atrocity and the arms supplier in many ways is as bad as the aggressor and the defender. As for those seeminly desperate to fund and perpetuate the conflict to save their own political skins elsewhere, the word "contempt" is not sufficient. Yes you Boris!

Aggressive acts bring out aggressive responses (just look at the carpet fire bombing of German Cities in WW2 as an example) . The hatred between some Poles and some Russians also goes back to WW2 (and before), when in their desperation to rout the Germans who had been responsible for the deaths of 10's on millions of Russians with their barbarity, the Russians swept through Poland treating some Poles as German collaborators and not waiting to pick and choose who was friend and who was foe. 

There are NO winners in war, and certainly in the context of Speedway the GP series is the loser without Emil and Artem, Emil and Artem are losers for not being there and no one wins as a result.

The overall production was very good and a step up for speedway on TV, expecting a follow the leader borefest i thought the meeting was actually good with some good racing, Kelvin did a sterling job it was obvious how affected he was by recent events. I just hope it dosent turn out to be a boring one man stroll to the title as its hard to see where a challenge to Zmarzlik is going to come from at the moment.

22 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Superb presentation, tons of overtaking, what more can you want?

Superb commentary in very difficult circumstances.

Nothing to moan about here.

And for those of us watching on discovery + no adverts :t:

• Like 3