Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

GP round 1 Gorican Saturday April 30th

On 5/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, iainb said:

And for the love of all that is holy when are they going to have a super slo mo camera on the start/finish line for close finishes. A big fail for Discovery, it's 2022 and we're still looking at blurred images at 30fps from a camera at an angle!

I am assuming they are also keeping BSIs policy of not allowing dead heats, which does not help.

Must be 10–15 years ago since it last happened, but the graphics could not display the half points so BSI decided that a position must be declared for each rider in all future races.  Dead heats are still in the FIM regulations though, and would probably have been the fairest result between Bewley and Thomsen.

don't they have transponders this season then? I found it curious that the blurred image was being consulted when the technology should be definitive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, enotian said:

don't they have transponders this season then? I found it curious that the blurred image was being consulted when the technology should be definitive.

Yes they do and noticed they all had them taped to the  handlebar covers with white tape which was a poor solution. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the quality of racing is as good throughout the season will be worth watching, even though the Ruskies are not there. Can't see past Zmarzlik and Janowski. Nielsen has done a great job with the Danish boys.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 3:08 PM, ElmParkRG2 said:

Just seen the highlights on Quest, almost a waste of time. Too much faffing about with replays etc. I know it was the first one of the season, but did it need so long at the beginning before the racing began with Heat 18!? Less time wasted would allow more time for the actual racing with more heats able to be shown. Next time a longer programme or less mucking about please. 

Just find the meeting on you tube full meeting ,just heats no messing.

On 5/2/2022 at 4:13 PM, someone said:

I am assuming they are also keeping BSIs policy of not allowing dead heats, which does not help.

Must be 10–15 years ago since it last happened, but the graphics could not display the half points so BSI decided that a position must be declared for each rider in all future races.  Dead heats are still in the FIM regulations though, and would probably have been the fairest result between Bewley and Thomsen.

Is this some weird agenda to not have dead heats? Why has it been this way for so long?

If 2 riders cross the line together then it's a dead heat - find a solution to deal with that. Imagine a horse race being called one way or another because someone didn't want a dead heat, there'd be hell on!

On 5/1/2022 at 8:01 PM, keepturningleft said:

A few more observations.

The promotion of speedway has been elevated to a new level for which we should all be grateful.

Even the fireworks display was probably the best ever seen at speedway.

It must have been a bizarre experience for Kelvin who must have been dreading referring to Chris, as Nige.

Zmarzlik's English is getting much better which is great to see.

It would be really great to see World War 3 getting its own thread.

well said.
Anybody here that has actually been at Gorican?

Need to say this but I think the local organizer has not been on the same level as the Discovery on the production side.

The stadium was sold out I guess, not many free seats to be seen, and they had actually one fricking guy flipping burgers and the other one tossing sausages like we are on a family picnic. I was in the line for that burger for one hour, and that was after practice a couple of hours before the GP started. Can't imagine how they served food during the race with a full house? It's not like you could walk outside to get food, the nearest village is miles away. But at least that burger was pretty good.

The printed programme was printed on a crappy cheap paper, when you start going through the pages with no actual content I felt disappointed. And they charged 5 EUR for that. 

Watching the Qualification live, it was just like watching free practice, as the live audience we were not aware of they already started going against the clock. They could use the centergreen displays to show lap times or something. Or the announcer could have said something. Just by accident I have then bumped into riders start positions live draw, not sure by then how on earth they got the lap times. After watching the replays on the TV at home now I know.

BSI didn't use that venue for ten years for a reason. If they want another GP the locals will have to do a much better job i recon.

• Like 1

Just watched last nights Eurosport Gorican GP highlights show, and it was far better than previous Eurosport highlight efforts. Dave Rowe hosted it(off camera ) and commentated on the races  and did a great job. The majority of the races were shown. Well worth watching if repeated over the next few days.

Agreed that Dave Rowe's highlights show was much better.  Surely it would have been better to turn tat around more quickly than produce a much poorer edit.

9 hours ago, JCookie said:

Is this some weird agenda to not have dead heats? Why has it been this way for so long?

If 2 riders cross the line together then it's a dead heat - find a solution to deal with that. Imagine a horse race being called one way or another because someone didn't want a dead heat, there'd be hell on!

I looked it up.  The last, and I guess only, dead heat in the BSI era was not actually at a GP but the 2008 World Cup qualifying event.  A dead heat was awarded for second place between Chris Harris and Freddie Lingren, so both received 1.5 points.  Does not seem to be on YouTube though as Poland were drawn in the other event.

Not sure where it was report that they decided not to award dead heats after that, but I definitely remember reading somewhere (or it was mentioned on air) that they would no longer award them in future because they could not be displayed.  Though the FIM regulations have never changed.

The 2022 Grand Prix regulations still state "Race points scored during the main event (heats 1-20) will be awarded on the following basis… In the case of a dead heat, combined points for the places must be shared equally between the riders concerned."

Obviously the graphics have been updated several times since then, so that original reason should no longer apply.  But I guess they will now use some American kind of "a tie is like kissing your sister" excuse, and claim people want a winner for every point because we will not accept dead heats.  Even Premiership matches now have to go to "over time" with the horrible 4-3-2-0 scoring rather than just accepting a meeting is a draw.

So instead we get to see blurry replays which prove nothing then someone magically being award the points.