Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

People talking about the concept being wrong because of a small turn out. I'm of the opposite view. Crowd numbers at the venue are pretty much irrelevant, similarly to how greyhound racing works today. 

If there were 2500+ watching via streaming @ £13, this competition has started with flying colours. 

3/400 at the stadium, 1900 online etc, it's a success. 

No longer will promoter be to concerned by paying punters at the gate as long as there's a gradual uptick in streaming purchases 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

....If there were 2500+ watching via streaming @ £13, this competition has started with flying colours. .....

Big if. And will we ever know, so that we can make a judgement? Given that promoters have never published gate numbers, I doubt it.

Incidentally, 2500 paying £13 is about equivalent to 3500+ going live. Two people (or more) watching a single stream only pay once.

Edited by False dawn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

You've been very negative about the concept over the last couple of days.....please elaborate if you could about what they've got wrong and how it could be improved. 

This meeting and the concept  did not and does  not appeal to me, seems  I am not the only one.Do not see the need to elaborate. I did at least go to the meeting  to show if nothing else financial support, albeit I live some miles away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

This meeting and the concept  did not and does  not appeal to me, seems  I am not the only one.Do not see the need to elaborate. I did at least go to the meeting  to show if nothing else financial support, albeit I live some miles away

If you just don't like it then fair enough, I was just interested why you thought they'd got the 'whole thing wrong' and it needed 'scrapping'. 

The reserve thing isn't good (I don't like it in the SoN either and they've just copied and pasted it from that) but the concept of a round on every track and a choice of two of the top four is good IMO. Let's see what the rest of the competition brings, looking forward to attending the Lynn round and streaming the BV one.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turnip said:

A 6 round pairs event is surely not viable for the club's. Doesn't entice me to go.

It needs to be a one off meeting, the days of such an event bringing bigger crowds into each venue are sadly long gone.

I don't see any logic in this decision.

Whereas I am looking forward to watching them all, it's a wide open comp imo!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

What was the streaming like, tempted to try it for the future meetings.

The filming of the racing was good, the commentator got a rider or two wrong and there were one or two questionable quotes from Olly, the sound isn't 100% BUT it's 100% worth buying just to watch the meetings, it's very reasonably priced imo. How brilliant to have the choice to watch online once I decided the weather was too dodgy to go in person :D:D Of course the result was fantastic :D:D As for the last race, there was absolutely no intention by Richard to cause Ellis to fall, he was just doing what he had to do and Ellis was in the wrong place at the wrong time I suppose you could say.  For anyone who says the scoring system is wrong, christ knows us fans LOVE team racing, ANYTHING that encourages it, bring it on imo :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Trees said:

The filming of the racing was good, the commentator got a rider or two wrong and there were one or two questionable quotes from Olly, the sound isn't 100% BUT it's 100% worth buying just to watch the meetings, it's very reasonably priced imo. How brilliant to have the choice to watch online once I decided the weather was too dodgy to go in person :D:D Of course the result was fantastic :D:D As for the last race, there was absolutely no intention by Richard to cause Ellis to fall, he was just doing what he had to do and Ellis was in the wrong place at the wrong time I suppose you could say.  For anyone who says the scoring system is wrong, christ knows us fans LOVE team racing, ANYTHING that encourages it, bring it on imo :)

 

didn't know it was being streamed, is there a link so as I can buy it, and is it the same streaming company for all meetings, so I don't have to keep asking for links.

Edited by hyderd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Trees said:

Whereas I am looking forward to watching them all, it's a wide open comp imo!

Yer pays yer money yer takes yer choice :t:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

People talking about the concept being wrong because of a small turn out. I'm of the opposite view. Crowd numbers at the venue are pretty much irrelevant, similarly to how greyhound racing works today. 

If there were 2500+ watching via streaming @ £13, this competition has started with flying colours. 

3/400 at the stadium, 1900 online etc, it's a success. 

No longer will promoter be to concerned by paying punters at the gate as long as there's a gradual uptick in streaming purchases 

Anyone actually know the streaming figure? I've no intention of streaming but folk like to so wot do I know? :rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, hyderd said:

didn't know it was being streamed, is there a link so as I can buy it, and is it the same streaming company so I don't have to keep asking for links.

BSN+ https://watch.britishspeedway.co.uk/catalog  It was £49 for all 6 Prem Pairs meetings, or £12.99 to buy them individually.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Noodles said:

You may as well  just have the traditional 3/2/1/0 and if a 3-3 in the semi or final a win trumps 2nd and 3rd.

 

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Defeats the whole object tbh!! It's a pairs event so team riding has to be rewarded. 

If 4-3-2-0 is used for pairs events to encourage team riding, why is it not also used in league matches?

Teams ride as pairs in that too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

BSN+ https://watch.britishspeedway.co.uk/catalog  It was £49 for all 6 Prem Pairs meetings, or £12.99 to buy them individually.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I thought riders are constantly turning left at P'boro, it's essentially a circle :D

Difficult to comment without having seen it but very few gripes about it on here. 

Seen the video this afternoon, coming down the home straight Ellis cuts back to be on the inside of Lawson, who then looks at him twice over his left shoulder before turning left across him, catching his front wheel with either his back wheel or dirt deflector, causing Ellis to lose control!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steve55 said:

Seen the video this afternoon, coming down the home straight Ellis cuts back to be on the inside of Lawson, who then looks at him twice over his left shoulder before turning left across him, catching his front wheel with either his back wheel or dirt deflector, causing Ellis to lose control!

To which Lawson had the right to do as the leading rider. There is no rule to say 'a slower rider must allow a faster rider to pass without challenge.' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

To which Lawson had the right to do as the leading rider. There is no rule to say 'a slower rider must allow a faster rider to pass without challenge.' 

Never said there was, just verbalising what I watched this afternoon. However the physical contact was caused by Lawson changing lines with Ellis being too close to come off the gas or change direction!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy