8 minutes ago, jenga said:

what if you dont buy a programme . whats the format then ?:blink:

Same as it will be if you buy one:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, jenga said:

what if you dont buy a programme . whats the format then ?:blink:

Just bloody watch it and find out :D

Live on the edge and don't buy a programme,,, it makes you feel alive and care free 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Does it matter,, turn up on the day,, and the format will be in the programme

just to be devils advocate what happens if you pay your c£20 entrance fee buy the programme and find out there are only 10 heats? Or your team only appears three times?

would you buy a tin with no label on it?

So it does matter.  It shouldn't have taken someone to peruse the rulebook to discover the format. To be fair I dare say the promoters would have released it nearer the time but you can't expect people to pay money for unknown content.  unless you're running a lottery.

51 minutes ago, enotian said:

just to be devils advocate what happens if you pay your c£20 entrance fee buy the programme and find out there are only 10 heats? Or your team only appears three times?

So it does matter.  It shouldn't have taken someone to peruse the rulebook to discover the format. To be fair I dare say the promoters would have released it nearer the time but you can't expect people to pay money for unknown content.  unless you're running a lottery.

But that's not going to happen is it,,, there will be more than 10 heats and they will race more than 3 times,,so daft thing to say really. 

Do football fans say I want to know the formation before I go? 

Speedway is seen as far to nerdy to young uns,,, it's a tag it needs to lose if it has any chance of attracting younger clientele. 

9 hours ago, enotian said:

You would hope that the promoters would promote this event as some kind of competition worth winning... rather than just a fixture filler

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Baldyman said:

But that's not going to happen is it,,, there will be more than 10 heats and they will race more than 3 times,,so daft thing to say really. 

Do football fans say I want to know the formation before I go? 

Speedway is seen as far to nerdy to young uns,,, it's a tag it needs to lose if it has any chance of attracting younger clientele. 

you know that I know that but what about casual supporter or even potential new supporters.  It's obvious to us that six pairs will face each other once resulting in 15 heats and maybe a semi and final. But maybe if you'd watched the SON you might think oh 23 heats in a pairs meeting that's good value.  Again I'm being devils advocate as the OP was getting an unnecessary hard time for asking a valid question.

I now presume you're happy to buy tins without labels and are happy to run that soup or dog food gamble.

The appropriate football analogy would be the length of the game.  And yes if there was a chance the match might only last 60 minutes football supporters would want to know what they're paying for.  As it's been 90 minutes infinitum they don't need to ponder that. Speedway is different with different formats applicable to different types of competition. It should all be part of the promotion of the event.

I don't see why wanting to know what you're paying to watch is nerdy. Just common sense especially when people have less money and there are plenty of alternatives. 

I don't think you can say it doesn't matter because you've been able to work out how many heats there'll be.    

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 3:26 AM, Diamonds85 said:

I'm just not  aware of a 6 team pairs meeting format ever taking place? 

I seem to remember 6-pair formats occasionally being run in open meetings, not to mention that it's been used in Poland and I'm sure other countries as well in the past. 

Pretty much every 3TT, 4TT, 5TT and pairs events of varying numbers format (certainly 6, 7 and 9) has been run at some point in speedway's history. 

5 hours ago, enotian said:

The appropriate football analogy would be the length of the game.  And yes if there was a chance the match might only last 60 minutes football supporters would want to know what they're paying for.  As it's been 90 minutes infinitum they don't need to ponder that. Speedway is different with different formats applicable to different types of competition. It should all be part of the promotion of the event.

I don't see why wanting to know what you're paying to watch is nerdy. Just common sense especially when people have less money and there are plenty of alternatives. 

I don't know how many it times it has to be said, but speedway isn't football anymore than cricket is football. There's at least 4 different types of professional cricket match currently played in England lasting from 3 hours to 5 days (even if don't always know whether the last couple of days will actually happen), and even more formats if you take club cricket into account.

Half the attraction of speedway for me is the different types of meeting, different formats, and that you can scale things to fit around the time / spectator attention span available. But it's not unreasonable to ask what you're actually getting for your money, and even just because you're an anorak is a perfectly acceptable reason. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

On 4/5/2022 at 7:21 AM, Col said:

The only issue is do the home fans turn up, to see so many heats when their riders are not involved?

Does anyone go to see the sport anymore, or is just to support their own riders?
I used to go to virtually every home meeting at Perry Barr and Leicester in addition to Saturday nights at the hive.

6 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I seem to remember 6-pair formats occasionally being run in open meetings, not to mention that it's been used in Poland and I'm sure other countries as well in the past. 

Pretty much every 3TT, 4TT, 5TT and pairs events of varying numbers format (certainly 6, 7 and 9) has been run at some point in speedway's history. 

They use a 6 pair format in the European Best Pairs Competition which was last run in 2018, I think.

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

Does anyone go to see the sport anymore, or is just to support their own riders?
I used to go to virtually every home meeting at Perry Barr and Leicester in addition to Saturday nights at the hive.

I am definitely a speedway fan first and a Bees fan second (just). Hence why I'm doing missionary work over in Leicester while the madness surrounding Brandon is sorted out. :P

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 12:33 PM, The Third Man said:

Same as it will be if you buy one:D

That was funny lol!

All rounds will now be televised on the British speedway network subscription channel online. 

great news that. Well done Ben duffill and Martin Hunter for securing the contract to show it. 

• Like 5

On 5/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, PhilTheAce said:

All rounds will now be televised on the British speedway network subscription channel online. 

great news that. Well done Ben duffill and Martin Hunter for securing the contract to show it. 

presumably at no extra cost to those that have purchased a BSN Season pass?!;)

• Like 1