British Speedway Forum
Col

14.04. Tigers v Aces - Northern League Cup - re-arranged from 07.04

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I'm not in Sheffield, but the forecast seems ok. Just showers and sun in the afternoon with a dry evening.

Exactly, 70% chance of dry weather or more most of the day. But if there is photographic evidence of the track super wet, I'll happily hold my hands up. 

Edited by lisa-colette

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

I'm not in Sheffield, but the forecast seems ok. Just showers and sun in the afternoon with a dry evening.

Plenty of rain last night to do the damage. Raining now in Sheffield. The forecasts I have seen show more to come.  I believe decision correct.

Just now, RS50 said:

Plenty of rain last night to do the damage. Raining now in Sheffield. The forecasts I have seen show more to come.  I believe decision correct.

Forecast show rain now until about 11. Then dry until 4pm. Then sunshine and showers until about 7. Then a dry evening.

That would not have been a rain-off a few years back. I think these are financial decisions as they feel the crowd might be down.

Probably the same as Lynn, people are far lesslikely to travel if its a damp evening, especially BV fans. Clubs obviously want to maximise gate receipts.

Agree with Geachan though, it risks putting g people off.

11 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Forecast show rain now until about 11. Then dry until 4pm. Then sunshine and showers until about 7. Then a dry evening.

That would not have been a rain-off a few years back. I think these are financial decisions as they feel the crowd might be down.

Presume, that is the BBC forecast.  Met office forecast, seems to indicate more rain. I am in Sheffield, and there was heavy rain last night, and would assume track already very wet.

• Like 1

I'm in Halifax which is not that far from Sheffield and it's been sunshine and showers all morning long. However, when it rains it's absolutely pouring down!

• Like 2

I'm in Sheffield. Been windy, some sun, but also some heavy showers. Track unlikely to be fit by 7.30.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tyke said:

Is the air fence threatening to jump now that the price of air has increased as well as electric and gas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grachan said:

What is going on with these cancellations? Surely people are going to lose interest if meetings are "rained-off" like this. It seems a bit foolish to me.

It could be a huge risk for me...

If they get to a stage where there is a backlog of meetings to be "crammed in" then, given the large cost of living increases, I am not sure finding the money for three, four, or even five, visits a month, paid out of one pay cheque, will be doable for everyone...

By August/September the impact of the inflationary issues will be in full swing, just as the season goes towards its end...

Think it was the right decision, about 12 miles away and its been miserable here all day. 

• Like 1

The amount of rain overnight in Sheffield was enough to call the match off, and its been raining on and off all day, so no chance of the track drying after last nights rain

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grachan said:

It rained heavily in Sheffield most of yesterday, last night and again this morning. Apparently the back straight was under water today.

Pretty sure this wasn’t a “financial decision”.

11 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Exactly, 70% chance of dry weather or more most of the day. But if there is photographic evidence of the track super wet, I'll happily hold my hands up. 

But you won’t accept the posts from people living in Sheffield explaining how much rain we’ve had over the last 24-36 hours, nor the opinion of the promotion that the track was unfit this morning and that given the forecast of more rain this afternoon - which came - that the chances of it being fit for racing this evening we’re slim to none?

I’m sure if you ask nicely someone will send you a photo so you know we and they were not lying.

9 hours ago, RobHowe said:

But you won’t accept the posts from people living in Sheffield explaining how much rain we’ve had over the last 24-36 hours, nor the opinion of the promotion that the track was unfit this morning and that given the forecast of more rain this afternoon - which came - that the chances of it being fit for racing this evening we’re slim to none?

I’m sure if you ask nicely someone will send you a photo so you know we and they were not lying.

As I've said my post was based on the BBC forecast which seemed to be wrong in the end. So now we know forecasts can be wrong, it is still crazy to think forecasts can still call meetings off day before or early in the morning. Luckily Sheffield listened to the right one. :t:

But good job not every club does this especially on Weds as 2 meetings would have been off which got ridden.