Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Col

14.04. Tigers v Aces - Northern League Cup - re-arranged from 07.04

I think people who actually live in the city trump the BBC weather forecast which is dodgy to say the least.

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

As I've said my post was based on the BBC forecast which seemed to be wrong in the end. So now we know forecasts can be wrong, it is still crazy to think forecasts can still call meetings off day before or early in the morning. Luckily Sheffield listened to the right one. :t:

But good job not every club does this especially on Weds as 2 meetings would have been off which got ridden. 

I work outside and I use the Met office app rather than the BBC one, it tends to be much more accurate. I think the Beeb stopped using the met office a few years ago and their accuracy suffered as a result. 

I think Lynn speedway use RAF Marham weather station.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

As I've said my post was based on the BBC forecast which seemed to be wrong in the end. So now we know forecasts can be wrong, it is still crazy to think forecasts can still call meetings off day before or early in the morning. Luckily Sheffield listened to the right one. :t:

But good job not every club does this especially on Weds as 2 meetings would have been off which got ridden. 

And if this decision wasnt made when it was then people and riders would have set off and then the meeting called off, no way could this match be on after all the rain

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

It was nothing to do with any forecast for yesterday.

The decision was made based on the rain that had ACTUALLY fallen during the preceding 24 hours.

56 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

The decision was made based on the rain that had ACTUALLY fallen during the preceding 24 hours.

The club statement did say: "This is due to inclement weather with more forecast throughout the day in the city" which is why people are talking about the forecast.

• Like 1

:DFew things 

first off. If u use the BBC weather app as you argument. Your argument is dead 

secondly. Sheffield running scared of belle Vue as we damaged them last year in iffy weather in play offs 

and lastly why as it replaced wolves next week. Probably because they know that belle Vue would have had a totally different team if they were to come later in the month. 

tigers??? Hahahah more like pussy cats running scared 

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

The club statement did say: "This is due to inclement weather with more forecast throughout the day in the city" which is why people are talking about the forecast.

Inclement weather = the rain that had already fallen and that had apparently  caused the back straight to be under water yesterday morning.

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what your argument is or what point you’re trying to make.

It rained heavily in Sheffield on Wednesday, Wednesday night and again on Thursday - what is your issue with this?

Why cancel the Wolves meeting, 4 of us were coming up. Changed plans to come. One of us self employed didn't book any work on the Thursday afternoon. Makes you realise why so few travel to away meetings

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I work outside and I use the Met office app rather than the BBC one, it tends to be much more accurate. I think the Beeb stopped using the met office a few years ago and their accuracy suffered as a result. 

I think Lynn speedway use RAF Marham weather station.

I will ignore BBC weather in future!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobHowe said:

Okay fair enough then. I obviously misunderstood the statement! 

1 hour ago, PhilTheAce said:

:DFew things 

first off. If u use the BBC weather app as you argument. Your argument is dead 

secondly. Sheffield running scared of belle Vue as we damaged them last year in iffy weather in play offs 

and lastly why as it replaced wolves next week. Probably because they know that belle Vue would have had a totally different team if they were to come later in the month. 

I don't use it for locally. I have the weather channel one on my phone. I just use BBC one for rest of UK! I always remembered BBC one was okay in the past. But obv not now by looks of it!

29 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Inclement weather = the rain that had already fallen and that had apparently  caused the back straight to be under water yesterday morning.

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure what your argument is or what point you’re trying to make.

It rained heavily in Sheffield on Wednesday, Wednesday night and again on Thursday - what is your issue with this?

Not arguing. No issue. Just pointing out that the forecast was mentioned as part of the reason for the cancellation, which was why people were talking about meetings being called off as a result of the forecast.

16 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Not arguing. No issue. Just pointing out that the forecast was mentioned as part of the reason for the cancellation, which was why people were talking about meetings being called off as a result of the forecast.

Yes it was called off based on the forecast, because the forecast of rain for a lot of the day, which was correct, gave no chance of sorting out the damage from the previous nights downpour 

without the rain the previous night there would have a good chance of getting the match on

Edited by The Third Man

1 hour ago, PhilTheAce said:

If Belle Vue will improve their team, then why would they agree to the match being brought forward?

4 minutes ago, RS50 said:

If Belle Vue will improve their team, then why would they agree to the match being brought forward?

We not bothered about the cup. 

anyway it was all tongue in cheek mate