British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

King's Lynn v Ipswich. League Cup 7/4/22

35 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I will definitely lose £90 today,that's 4 meetings worth.

I understand that, because you changed work shifts and so have a direct loss that you won't recoup. 

9 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

So it is called off cos of a fuel shortage??!

They have bought all the diesel in Norfolk for their weekly "Tractorathon"....:D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Okay, so take Poole example then. 80% chance of rain throughout the day. The rain being showers possible heavy. But only a few showers in the morning and one at 6.30pm and still raced with no problems. But according to someone else KL have 50% chance of rain and it's off! Just as much chance it will be dry.

Start calling meetings off in England for 50% chance of rain, then no one would ever ride! 

But the Pooke track has huge holes which act as good drains -_-:D

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

But the Pooke track has huge holes which act as good drains -_-:D

Not anymore sorry to ruin your joke! ;) :PThe point was the forecast was wrong, no heavy showers which were forecast! And KL just has LIGHT rain showers forecast!!

When "promotions" start to postpone meetings on the "potential of rain" then fans will not travel to meetings when there is rain "in the air",  just in case its postponed or only get 10 heats in for a result. 

In Ipswich Thursday night was speedway night, now its more of a case of "oh the weather looks iffy" i'll do something else as it will probably be off anyways......

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Should be 28 days from first official fixture; 31st March. 

28th April v Ipswich (H) should be Kildemand's return

First offical meeting : if its from Kings Lynn's then he could stay until mid May as no meetings yet,

although if from March 31st and the next home meeting v Peterborough was to be called off as well he may not get to ride at all at home for Lynn 

Edited by scoobydoo

FWIW the chances if rain are higher than 50% today going by the current forecast, and calling meetings off based on West might happen is exactly what they do in Poland which is presumably the speedway benchmark. Although that's often based on torrential rain rather than showers. 

That said I'm pretty sure today's call off is down to crowd levels and not a waterlogged track. There is a reason that half if Lynn's home meetings are local derbies and I'm sure maximising the attendances for those is a significant part of the business plan.

• Like 1

Im about 17 miles from Lynn and theres high wind gusts  (not from Bald Blokes beer intake i might add) no rain but with the AFA being situated near open fields and the elements maybe H&S has advised not to run due to possible crowd risks.

14 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

They are obviously petrified of dodgy weather putting people off resulting in a small crowd and consequently losing money, that's all it can be as it's only showers forecast. I won't go nowadays if there is rain about so I can kind of understand but more than 24 hours beforehand seems extremely cautious to me, especially in the school holidays. 

maybe if they made the meetings more attractive to attend in the first place they wouldn't have this problem B)

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

maybe if they made the meetings more attractive to attend in the first place they wouldn't have this problem B)

I've no doubt if the weather was lovely like a couple of weeks ago and there was plenty of fuel for everyone then there would be a very healthy crowd tonight, but people don't want to stand in cold, damp conditions and riders not fancying it on a wet night and watching Buster spend hours relaying the track for no reason. We've all been there before.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I've no doubt if the weather was lovely like a couple of weeks ago and there was plenty of fuel for everyone then there would be a very healthy crowd tonight, but people don't want to stand in cold, damp conditions and riders not fancying it on a wet night and watching Buster spend hours relaying the track for no reason. We've all been there before.

Exactly this ^^^

I genuinely hope the 'Day Before' call-offs becomes the norm. 

It's so much better for fans thinking as the previous options used to create real anger. 

Anger at Buster for opening gates

Anger at rider's for refusing to ride

Electricity costs

Fuel costs

Staff expenses 

Etc etc. 

British Speedway clubs can't afford these costs of a call-off & neither can the fans afford the wasted travel. 

Fans need to accept times are different & tight belts are needed. 

Just because a club owned by a multi-millionaire ran a meeting doesn't mean it's financially viable for all. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Ah yes but the chance of a wet night tonight are the same as being dry, that's the point. And then there will be fixture backlog again when weather prob even worse!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Exactly this ^^^

I genuinely hope the 'Day Before' call-offs becomes the norm. 

It's so much better for fans thinking as the previous options used to create real anger. 

Anger at Buster for opening gates

Anger at rider's for refusing to ride

Electricity costs

Fuel costs

Staff expenses 

Etc etc. 

British Speedway clubs can't afford these costs of a call-off & neither can the fans afford the wasted travel. 

Fans need to accept times are different & tight belts are needed. 

Just because a club owned by a multi-millionaire ran a meeting doesn't mean it's financially viable for all. 

So let's hope for a dry summer otherwise you will have a backlog of meetings to run at the end of the season which won't be called off early. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Ah yes but the chance of a wet night tonight are the same as being dry, that's the point. And then there will be fixture backlog again when weather prob even worse!!

I don't disagree at all, I'm just looking at it from their point of view. It's already cold, windy and a bit showery, some would have already decided to stay away. Grachan is right that they risk putting keen people off but I can also see why they've done it when they need healthy crowds to survive. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I don't disagree at all, I'm just looking at it from their point of view. It's already cold, windy and a bit showery, some would have already decided to stay away. Grachan is right that they risk putting keen people off but I can also see why they've done it when they need healthy crowds to survive. 

Sorry but that does sound a bit lame to me. I'd be saying the same thing if my club did it. They do realise England is generally cold and wet in March, April, Oct. So really season May- Sept? But that never happens cos of fixture back log.

So why didn't Poole rain off yesterday with 80% chance of heavy showers. Not light but heavy and they didn't even materialise!! It was really windy last night too but crowd wasn't too bad I thought. If you use that comparison it does look a bit ridiculous. 

• Haha 1