British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole Championship. 13/04/22

There was me cursing this morning as I was coming up with the Mrs and Baz. The Mrs got ill overnight so had to cancel the Prem Inn and of course the meeting.  As it happens we have saved a lot of money, and the Mrs is a feeling  a little better. Hope to make the rearranged meeting. 

Bad luck for Poole Supporters' who would have been en route by now, and really cruel luck for the new Birmingham regime who have been heavily advertising this meeting for the last week, so wouldn't have taken the decision to call it off, lightly.

They have had nothing but misfortune all year so far, but hopefully, their fortunes will change for the better soon.

• Like 1

Just got home. Got lucky considering only got 45 mins into the journey and just checked and saw the news. Not had a spit down here and perhaps would have gone on to watch the meeting at Oxford if it had not been a sellout.

It looks like the track got hit by a monsoon.

Just got back home from work, their have been showers on and off most of the day, at around 12 noon I was delivering within 1/4 mile of the track and actually went past the Stadium on my way up to Tamworth, then as I was heading through North Brum and Sutton Coldfield areas the heavens opened up, throughout the afternoon there were showers again some of them heavy, If any of that later batch of showers hit PB after the earlier monsoon then their was no chance of the meeting going ahead, Have to say I feel sorry for the promoters because Poole are always guaranteed to attract a decent crowd I understand why the promoters left it as late as possible, but in the end I suspect they had no option.

1 hour ago, solrac said:

I live in South Birmingham and it was a decent shower earlier, but only a shower. Forecast is good for tonight so seems odd. Did tip it down last night but I'd be surprised if track wasn't raceable. 

I WOULD LIKE TO CLARIFY

From 2pm till 3pm today it absolutely monsooned it down, I know coz I was in the One Stop Perry Barr sheltering!

Nothing odd about it, the rain was bouncing off the tarmac for one hour!!! Never mind the earlier heavy showers.

No way would a track survive that tropical rain storm.

Think how I feel in a Travelodge in the MFN.

Oink Oink :t:

Edited by Oink

I was driving on the A41 Black Country route near West Brom just after 2pm and the deluge was such that the force on the windscreen made it feel as though it was pushing the car backwards. 

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Little bit early Oink! Snort snort! I am not leaving Poole for another hour! And that will still give us time to have something to eat in the shopping centre before heading to stadium.

How do MI5 pigs write top secret messages to one another? Through invisible oink!

I bet he wished he hadn't left so early now :rofl:

I was driving through Perry  Bar between 2 and 3pm when it absolutely tipped it down, there was a tornado, hail, lightning, total Armageddon. 

Afterwards, when it had cleared away, I have never seen the area look so improved. :rofl:

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Haha 1

To be fair rain was forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday in Birmingham this week, so 2 and a half rain offs in 3 weeks,  the half rain off being the 30 all draw with Leicester, it is tough on the new promotion at the moment but things will pick up for definite. Looks like it's gonna tip down again in a moment, gone quite dark Erdington area 

Edited by Gerbat1875

40 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

I bet he wished he hadn't left so early now :rofl:

Didn't travel from Poole as I'm near Leicester.

Oh my, I just Farted ......sorry Arthur I've had onions! :rofl:

Edited by Oink

Thanks to the Poole supporters who have posted on this site to indicate their understanding. No one wanted another rain off after already having endured one and a second one seriously affected by the rain and postponed after 10 rain-soaked heats.

As far as the district of Perry Barr is concerned, it has been allowed to become badly rundown over the last few years, but the City Council have rather belatedly been attempting to pretty it up in time for the Commonwealth Games in July. This has involved removing the old flyover (despite huge opposition from the locals), temporarily closing Perry Barr rail station for renovation, and conducting massive changes to the roads (especially the A34). The objective of course, has been to smarten everything up in order to impress visitors making their way to the games, where the Alexander Stadium has been rebuilt to house 48,000. (What the Council intend to do with the place after the games is something that they still carefully avoid answering.)

The situation now, is that the only thing that has been completed is the stadium itself, which I accept, looks pristine and impressive. Everything else is way behind schedule and massively over budget. (The shortfall is said to be in excess of £20,000,000.) None of this has helped Birmingham Speedway. We have had to endure chaotic traffic congestion and disruption for the past three years in trying to get to the stadium on match nights. I live only 12 miles away in Stourbridge and it has been taking me anything up to two hours plus to get there, and this in itself is one of the major reasons why support has declined - people just can't cope with the journey to the track!

Some of the descriptions of Perry Barr that I have read on this site though, are very unfair I think. People living in Perry Barr are having to put up with the noise, the mess and all the inconvenience that these road works produce - which is not their fault and not what most of them wanted, so I do think that visitors should be a bit more understanding. Perry Barr isn't perhaps the most attractive district of Birmingham, but it is a much better place to live than the current chaos makes it seem.

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I was driving through Perry  Bar between 2 and 3pm when it absolutely tipped it down, there was a tornado, hail, lightning, total Armageddon. 

Afterwards, when it had cleared away, I have never seen the area look so improved. :rofl:

The flyover that was between One Stop and the stadium as actually gone Steve so u r actually correct! :rofl:

2 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Bad luck for Poole Supporters' who would have been en route by now, and really cruel luck for the new Birmingham regime who have been heavily advertising this meeting for the last week, so wouldn't have taken the decision to call it off, lightly.

They have had nothing but misfortune all year so far, but hopefully, their fortunes will change for the better soon.

Never mind, Bruan -- you've got the Mughty Banditos next week!

1 minute ago, brianbuck said:

Thanks to the Poole supporters who have posted on this site to indicate their understanding. No one wanted another rain off after already having endured one and a second one seriously affected by the rain and postponed after 10 rain-soaked heats.

As far as the district of Perry Barr is concerned, it has been allowed to become badly rundown over the last few years, but the City Council have rather belatedly been attempting to pretty it up in time for the Commonwealth Games in July. This has involved removing the old flyover (despite huge opposition from the locals), temporarily closing Perry Barr rail station for renovation, and conducting massive changes to the roads (especially the A34). The objective of course, has been to smarted everything up in order to impress visitors making their way to the games where the Alexander Stadium has been rebuilt to house 48,000. (What the Council intend to do with the place after the games is something that they carefully avoid answering.)

The situation now, is that the only thing that has been completed is the stadium. Everything else is way behind schedule and massively over budget. (The shortfall is said to be in excess of £20,000,000.) None of this has helped Birmingham Speedway. We have had to endure chaotic traffic congestion and disruption for the past three years in trying to get to the stadium on match nights. I live only 12 miles away in Stourbridge and it has been taking me anything up to two hours plus to get there.

Some of the descriptions of Perry Barr that I have read on this site, are very unfair I think. People living in Perry Barr are having to put up with the noise, the mess and all the inconvenience that these road works produce - which is not their fault and not what most of them wanted, so I do think that visitors should be a bit more understanding. Perry Barr isn't perhaps the most attractive district of Birmingham, but it is a much better place to live than the current chaos makes it seem.

Would not surprise me Brian that Birmingham City FC, will take up residency at the stadium, considering the trouble they are having with the stands at St Andrews, in fact a little bird informs me that BCFC club officials have sounded out the council, it won't go down to well with BCFC supporters if they have to relocate to Villa territory, Brummies so unlucky with rain offs so far this season