British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole Championship. 13/04/22

I think the possibility of Birmingham City moving from Small Heath to Perry Barr must be improved by the City Council's desperation to have it used after the games have finished, but you are correct in describing the area of Perry Barr as Aston Villa territory! It is significent that when we have had speedway fixtures on the same evening that Aston Villa or West Btromwich Albion are playing, there has been a substantial dip in our attendances, but little or no difference if Birmingham City are playing.

I did write to the City Council myself a couple of years back, to suggest that the Alexander Stadium would make an ideal Grand Prix venue. I got a flowery letter back saying that the Council would look carefully at all the options available, but I've heard nothing since, which doesn't surprise me.

22 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Just got here... meeting off due to rain??? Wtf... sun is out...forecast dry???

In these circumstances track covers would come in handy me thinks :t:

Oink oink

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Just got here... meeting off due to rain??? Wtf... sun is out...forecast dry???

Oops....worked late and went straight there... still surprised tho.

2 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Would not surprise me Brian that Birmingham City FC, will take up residency at the stadium, considering the trouble they are having with the stands at St Andrews, in fact a little bird informs me that BCFC club officials have sounded out the council, it won't go down to well with BCFC supporters if they have to relocate to Villa territory, Brummies so unlucky with rain offs so far this season 

I have heard that the Rugby League team "Midlands Hurricanes" are hoping to use the Stadium for home games whether or not that comes to fruition we will wait and see, with regards football and relocation, I would have thought Walsall Fc would be best suited to use the Stadium for home games especially when they allegedly pay aprox £500.000 per year in rent for there current ground, though that would mean them moving the few miles from Walsall.

2 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Would not surprise me Brian that Birmingham City FC, will take up residency at the stadium, considering the trouble they are having with the stands at St Andrews, in fact a little bird informs me that BCFC club officials have sounded out the council, it won't go down to well with BCFC supporters if they have to relocate to Villa territory, Brummies so unlucky with rain offs so far this season 

The Blosers in North Brum. You're having a laugh.

Over half the 40k seats for the games are temporary. 

It'll never happen, simply because the Alex is the premier stand alone Athletics stadium in the country. The headquarters of UK Athletics is based there. They don't need to share it with anyone. 

More chance of BCFC sharing with Solihull Moors! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, OGT said:

The Blosers in North Brum. You're having a laugh.

Over half the 40k seats for the games are temporary. 

It'll never happen, simply because the Alex is the premier stand alone Athletics stadium in the country. The headquarters of UK Athletics is based there. They don't need to share it with anyone. 

More chance of BCFC sharing with Solihull Moors! 

Lots of BCFC supporters in North Brum now, I live in Erdington and yes its a still a big villa area, but there is a growing presence of BCFC fans. Birmingham council wont turn their noses up at extra revenue from the use of the stadium trust me, anyway back on topic Brrummies have been so unlucky with the weather so far, it must be so frustrating for the new promoters, riders and fans alike, the new track not being used after a lot of money spent on it would frustrate the testicles off me, but at least its a good test for the drainage, saw a couple Poole fans in the bullring today, they were looking forward to tonight but alas it was not meant to be, they did comment on the amount of building work going on in brum now, I told them Birmingham(central) is a city on the front foot and with HS2 and that it will resemble a building site for a few more years yet, Perry Barr i think will drift into the dark days again after the commonwealth games, we cant hide the fact its stuck in the middle of 2 ghettos(Aston and Handsworth),where gangs are fighting each other with guns etc, and if your from the Brum area the gangs are notorious to all, unless crime drastically reduces Perry Barr is a not a safe area, put it this way I would not want to be down there after 10pm.

Edited by Gerbat1875

18 hours ago, tyke said:

Sounds like they're reaching for the panic button already B)

Although I was a plonker and wasted a gallon of fuel and an hour and a half of my time last night....looking at the photos, I'm really pleased to see that the management had the good sense to call last nights meeting off. Who would of wanted to watch racing on that type of surface, also who knows what lasting damage it could have done to the track.

Great call !

Fingers crossed for next week!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Sounds like they're reaching for the panic button already B)

really???  It was a big blow to lose the meeting especially after the promotion done and all the events being incorporated into the night . 

5 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

really???  It was a big blow to lose the meeting especially after the promotion done and all the events being incorporated into the night . 

I'm sure it was

5 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

Iainb doesn't deserve a response imo! He sounds very bitter to me. Cud do without his bullsh#t!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully the meeting will be re-arranged in the summer on a date that will bring in a very large crowd. 

• Like 1

Don't feed the trolls.