British Speedway Forum

23 hours ago, GregoryM said:

Yes, it completely bypassed them both!!

Indeed, Olly Allen, commented that the heat 15 Plymouth 5-1 was ‘too little too late’. Yes, for a win or a draw (and Plymouth might well have had either) – but certainly not in order to go home with what might prove to be a crucial point at final league table time.

As much as I’m not their biggest fan, Nigel and Kelvin would have been all over the fact pre-race that a heat 15 5-1 would send Plymouth home with a league point.

I don’t want to be too harsh on the commentators as they ‘bed-in’, but surely the joint British team manager at least ought to know how the league points scoring system works?

You have to remember that the racing rules for Team GB meetings are different to those in the League.;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sugarray said:

Surely a team managers job is to win a meeting, if it means swapping reserves then so be it.

Also a team managers job to support, advise & encourage his team. If riders quit & their replacement are sh£te how do you gain?  British speedway may loose riders they currently can't afford too.  

13 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Looked what happened to Jason Edwards, he was given the easier number 7 spot & scored more points than his first meeting. Also didn't hinder Jordan Jenkins racing in the tougher number 6 spot!

By all means select your team riding order to produce the best results. My gripe is constant dropping/swapping riders during the meeting & the effect it can have on the lesser team members. 

I've always thought unless r/r comes into play let both reserves have their first 3 programmed rides as per their starting number and then see what's what , who's going best etc.

Edited by gazzac

22 minutes ago, gazzac said:

I've always thought unless r/r comes into play let both reserves have their first 3 programmed rides as per their starting number and then see what's what , who's going best etc.

Luckily you aren't a team manager then

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 12:25 PM, Ghosty said:

As long as the Gladiators gel as a team they will get the results home & away.

BUT PLEASE can someone (Mark Phillips?) stop Gary May swapping the reserves race after race. 

It gains nothing putting your weakest reserve in the harder races will just demoralise him. This happened @ Somerset, riders then retired & the replacements were worse!

If a rider is not performing this team should have enough knowledge & knowhow to encourage those riders under performing.

Here's looking forward to the rest of 2022. 

Garry May has won league titles and cups by doing exactly that for years. Every recruited reserve rides on exactly that basis. They knew how they would get used during the meetings and were paid accordingly. They agreed to the set up and it worked well. Sometimes riders think they deserve more than they do and have a hissy fit if they don't get their way.  well maybe they need to earn it, show the team manger what they're worth. First job as a reserve has always been to be better than your other reserve team mate. Every Garry May team I've been involved in knew the situation from the start. He's one of the most open team managers I've known for working with his riders and telling them exactly what is expected of them. I'd rather work with Garry like that, than half the TMs in the league who turn up to fill in a programme and get a bit of fuel money

Edited by wtf
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, wtf said:

Garry May has won league titles and cups by doing exactly that for years. Even recruited reserve riders on exactly that basis. They knew how they would get used during the meetings and were paid accordingly. They agreed to to set up and it worked well. Sometimes riders think they deserve more than they do and have a hissy fit if they don't get their way.  well maybe they need to earn it, show the team manger what they're worth. First job as a reserve has always been to be better than your other reserve team mate. Every Garry May team I've been involved in knew the situation from the start. He's one of the most open team managers I've known for working with his riders and telling them exactly what is expected of them. I'd rather work with Garry like that, than half the TMs in the league who turn up to fill in a programme and get a bit of fuel money

Good post also Garry does this job because he loves the sport.

The riders also love working him. 

He's a great guy and speedway is better for him being involved.

1 hour ago, sugarray said:

Good post also Garry does this job because he loves the sport.

The riders also love working him. 

He's a great guy and speedway is better for him being involved.

I have no problems with Gary personally & consider him a mate!  But issues can be debated surely, tell me has Neil Middleditch or Peter Adams used similar tactics with their successes?

On 4/9/2022 at 9:26 PM, phillipsr said:

What did he say? 

On 4/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, Jaizer said:

Glasgow fans have a different opinion on Harris to apparently every other team in the UK!! Enjoyed the bit at the end of his interview, that made me chuckle

Roynon was full of praise, admiration, and respect for Bomber - something not shared, from what Jaizer tells us above, by the Glasgow fans!!

I do know what he means about the Bomber lovefest though. I've always enjoyed watching Bomber ride, but wouldn't go overboard as some do.

There have been plenty of riders who you'd hoped would 'miss-the-gate' 'coz you know you're then in for a real race. The last few years, for instance, for us at Belle Vue we've had Dan Bewley missing the start and giving us lap after lap of pure effort to pass. Like even Bomber, not successful every time.  And I've seen Scott Nicholls, particularly on the smaller tracks, work his way through to the front countless times - but that hasn't seemingly attracted the same gushing remarks that some commentators reserve for Bomber.

21 minutes ago, GregoryM said:

Roynon was full of praise, admiration, and respect for Bomber - something not shared, from what Jaizer tells us above, by the Glasgow fans!!

I do know what he means about the Bomber lovefest though. I've always enjoyed watching Bomber ride, but wouldn't go overboard as some do.

There have been plenty of riders who you'd hoped would 'miss-the-gate' 'coz you know you're then in for a real race. The last few years, for instance, for us at Belle Vue we've had Dan Bewley missing the start and giving us lap after lap of pure effort to pass. Like even Bomber, not successful every time.  And I've seen Scott Nicholls, particularly on the smaller tracks, work his way through to the front countless times - but that hasn't seemingly attracted the same gushing remarks that some commentators reserve for Bomber.

Ah right thank you.. like some on here ive never really liked Harris and dont understand the fuss around him as a rider!! It does annoy when i see commentators going overboard 

18 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I have no problems with Gary personally & consider him a mate!  But issues can be debated surely, tell me has Neil Middleditch or Peter Adams used similar tactics with their successes?

Sure you can debate the issue, Managers choose to manage in different ways, they set their teams up in different ways. Garry has often aimed for a 6 man team with a strong reserve at all times and almost a sacrificial reserve who has an opportunity to make a statement with no pressure on them. Most of his successful teams have been set up that way. Others do things differently, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Middlo for example has historically had little or no input into team selection at Poole. He managed what Matt gave him. What I will say though is Garry puts more thought into what happens in a meeting and making changes to effect an outcome, than pretty much anyone else I've worked with and that includes the other two managers you mentioned. Admittedly Garry is not big on "group hugs" and blowing sunshine up peoples backsides, some others are. But I would class him as one of, if not the, most successful Team Manager, in the last decade at 2nd division level. He's not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but everything he does has had a lot of thought gone into it. You can't please everyone and sometimes there are casualties along the way. But this is PROFESSIONAL sport. these people are getting paid. You can't just demand to enjoy your job every day and never have to do stuff you don't want to. If you have a set back, sometimes you learn more from that and others around you learn more from how you react. Do you bounce back or do you sulk?

In the past I know the sacrificial reserves have had a good guarantee at meetings, so they know they will be paid at least a certain fee whatever points they score. If not, then maybe they need to learn about contracts and how to negotiate them.  I get it, it's easy sometimes for kids and parents to get a bit starry eyed with a professional contract, but there's plenty of help and advice out there.

But this is a business first and foremost, it has a job to do, and has someone in place to achieve that objective. If the goal is to keep everyone happy at all times, then maybe Garry isn't your man. But I'm guessing the same can be said of most successful managers. John Campbell at Edinburgh certainly isn't one for keeping it warm and fluffy and being friends with everyone, but in the last decade he's probably the main challenger to Garry as being the most successful TM in the 2nd tier.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, wtf said:

Sure you can debate the issue, Managers choose to manage in different ways, they set their teams up in different ways. Garry has often aimed for a 6 man team with a strong reserve at all times and almost a sacrificial reserve who has an opportunity to make a statement with no pressure on them. Most of his successful teams have been set up that way. Others do things differently, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Middlo for example has historically had little or no input into team selection at Poole. He managed what Matt gave him. What I will say though is Garry puts more thought into what happens in a meeting and making changes to effect an outcome, than pretty much anyone else I've worked with and that includes the other two managers you mentioned. Admittedly Garry is not big on "group hugs" and blowing sunshine up peoples backsides, some others are. But I would class him as one of, if not the, most successful Team Manager, in the last decade at 2nd division level. He's not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but everything he does has had a lot of thought gone into it. You can't please everyone and sometimes there are casualties along the way. But this is PROFESSIONAL sport. these people are getting paid. You can't just demand to enjoy your job every day and never have to do stuff you don't want to. If you have a set back, sometimes you learn more from that and others around you learn more from how you react. Do you bounce back or do you sulk?

In the past I know the sacrificial reserves have had a good guarantee at meetings, so they know they will be paid at least a certain fee whatever points they score. If not, then maybe they need to learn about contracts and how to negotiate them.  I get it, it's easy sometimes for kids and parents to get a bit starry eyed with a professional contract, but there's plenty of help and advice out there.

But this is a business first and foremost, it has a job to do, and has someone in place to achieve that objective. If the goal is to keep everyone happy at all times, then maybe Garry isn't your man. But I'm guessing the same can be said of most successful managers. John Campbell at Edinburgh certainly isn't one for keeping it warm and fluffy and being friends with everyone, but in the last decade he's probably the main challenger to Garry as being the most successful TM in the 2nd tier.

Great Post. 

5 hours ago, wtf said:

Great post 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 7:49 PM, Noelinho said:

From my distance of 155 miles, it looked like Riss took out Gilkes’ wheel there.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:51 PM, torpointfanatic22 said:

I'm further away and saw Riss take him out. Woeful refereeing 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, tyke said:

Ridiculous decision. Obviously the ref :icon_smile_clown: thought Gilkes just threw the bike on the deck while leading 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:57 PM, Cookiefan said:

Agree, decision from ref was Shocking,  Riss took Gilkes out

Just watching this now, first thought was that Gilkes fell before Riss went into the bend?

Shame they never showed a replay from another view!

Edited by szkocjasid