British Speedway Forum
justathought

Leicester v Newcastle 9/4/22

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

And probably go bust?  What would that achieve?

Some space to plant some money trees.

6 hours ago, BrizHeathen said:

I can only judge on tonights performance but based on that, the Diamonds are two very good heat leaders short of being a competetive team. I doubt if too many fans would continue to watch that team.

Fair enough Leicester are very good at home but that was woeful, and sadly some fans did not go tonight because they knew it would be a no contest

The root cause of course being the lack of a "proper" team levelling system...

Each year it happens that the teams start "pretty equal" on paper, but each season one or two clearly stand out as being not good enough from the very outset and live up to that billing by ending dozens of league points behind the leading teams, and hundreds of race points behind too...

Given the lack of riders of HL level there really does need to be some kind of maximum figure for the top three, within an overall team average..

Given the HL's will invariably most weeks ride in 14 of the 30 races each team has, more if Tac Sub, having each team with a "similar level" of top three has to be the way forward if you want to have competitive meetings, and keep the entertainment value up to the standard which attracts people back..

Having teams out of their depth is simply no good for anyone's business, so why do they allow it to consistently happen?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, bigred said:

Didn’t he top score at Redcar the other week !!so not totally useless .

Lindgren had a couple of away tracks he was ok at the others he was useless. 

IMO with the experience Clegg has he shouldn't be scoring zero anywhere.

3 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Lindgren had a couple of away tracks he was ok at the others he was useless. 

IMO with the experience Clegg has he shouldn't be scoring zero anywhere.

Let's hope in 8 hours time we are celebrating a home win for the diamonds 

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Each year it happens that the teams start "pretty equal" on paper, but each season one or two clearly stand out as being not good enough from the very outset and live up to that billing by ending dozens of league points behind the leading teams, and hundreds of race points behind too...

Given the lack of riders of HL level there really does need to be some kind of maximum figure for the top three, within an overall team average..

Given the HL's will invariably most weeks ride in 14 of the 30 races each team has, more if Tac Sub, having each team with a "similar level" of top three has to be the way forward if you want to have competitive meetings, and keep the entertainment value up to the standard which attracts people back..

Having teams out of their depth is simply no good for anyone's business, so why do they allow it to consistently happen?

I'm all for clubs assembling a team to suit their budgets but there has to be some minimum standard to compete in whatever league. There used to be a minimum limit, not sure there still is though? Didn't Milton Keynes get booted out of the league in the late 80's/ early 90's? Somebody did.

This Newcastle team should be in the NL. Some of the names might be recognisable but only because they've been around for a while and not for any achievement:

BWD: Never shown anything to suggest he's anything other than a PL reserve, not a CL heat leader

Wethers: Solid team journeyman, good for No2

James Wright: Who knew that Charles was going to be the good one! James is a long way off from being the rider he used to be

Cleggy: Been around for years, has never moved on from being a decent reserve

Starky: Solid team journeyman, maybe a good 3rd heat leader

Lee Complin: I'll give him a month

Congreve: The next Ivan Mauger?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Let's hope in 8 hours time we are celebrating a home win for the diamonds 

Sincerely hope so but against our nearest and dearest it'll be a tough one! I can Redcar winning if I'm honest but hope I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Congreave is a raw talent & should be looking for a national League team if possible & it would do him the world of good & he'd actually pick more points up in the championship as he's on the pace from what I've seen so far 

As far as I understand it, Congreve is not allowed to ride in the NDL.

5 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Sincerely hope so but against our nearest and dearest it'll be a tough one! I can Redcar winning if I'm honest but hope I'm wrong.

No BWD tonight ... Ricky wells guests

1 minute ago, StevePark said:

As far as I understand it, Congreve is not allowed to ride in the NDL.

That's why I said if possible !! You any idea of why he can't 

1 minute ago, Justgotmecpc said:

That's why I said if possible !! You any idea of why he can't 

He hasn't got British parentage, I don't think.  That's why he's on an assessed 4.00 average, rather than a 3.00.

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

I get what your saying and I agree to an extent but straight away you can take Masters, Andersen, Riss & Douglas away from us because of riding abroad I think, then you add Pickering and Ellis into that list. That's more than half the teams in the league.

Then you could have the factor of riders not wanting to ride for certain clubs yes they might have no choice but what happens say if Newcastle got Batchelor for instance he wasn't happy riding brough every week and his average drops like last season the club part ways and he goes on to sign for someone else and starts banging in big scores again?

In Newcastle's defence they have a budget which they rightly stick to and I think every team should only pay what they can afford but IMO this team is no better than last years and we all know how that played out.

5 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

No BWD tonight ... Ricky wells guests

At last some good news :D

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'm all for clubs assembling a team to suit their budgets but there has to be some minimum standard to compete in whatever league. There used to be a minimum limit, not sure there still is though? Didn't Milton Keynes get booted out of the league in the late 80's/ early 90's? Somebody did.

This Newcastle team should be in the NL. Some of the names might be recognisable but only because they've been around for a while and not for any achievement:

BWD: Never shown anything to suggest he's anything other than a PL reserve, not a CL heat leader

Wethers: Solid team journeyman, good for No2

James Wright: Who knew that Charles was going to be the good one! James is a long way off from being the rider he used to be

Cleggy: Been around for years, has never moved on from being a decent reserve

Starky: Solid team journeyman, maybe a good 3rd heat leader

Lee Complin: I'll give him a month

Congreve: The next Ivan Mauger?

The problem with any minimum limit is that you can still be over it but full of riders with assessed averages based on "heaven knows"...

All very subjective and, invariably, inaccurate...

For me, the HL's being as close as possible collectively is key, given the amount of rides they have, both to keep the score "interesting" but (far more importantly), keeping the 14 or so races they contribute to a match, worth watching....

In a sport that has no real financial reward in winning for the teams, nor any relegation or promotion to keep things interesting as the season goes by, then having as many competitive meetings (and as many competitive races within those meetings as possible), must be the over riding No1 priority for the sport...

55 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

In Newcastle's defence they have a budget which they rightly stick to and I think every team should only pay what they can afford but IMO this team is no better than last years and we all know how that played out.

If these are the types of teams we can put together based on our budget, we should be going National League instead until we find more budget, we clearly can't afford the Championship now??

Racing is better in the NL anyway

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gemini said:

I hope the racing has been good so far this season because personally I would be bored stiff with all these 60 plus results. :neutral: Hopefully Poole will put up more of a fight next week. 

I did not see the Brummies match and therefore can't comment. Last nights match was not entertaining other than a coule of races. Last weeks match was more entertaining despite the score.

• Like 2