British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speed29

Would you like see if Speedway in Hampshire??

Aldermaston Raceway got banger racing and stock car, they could have a speedway!!!.

Edited by speed29

I remember little bit back in the star they said Southampton was looking to comeback but not heard anything since?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Richspeedway said:

I remember little bit back in the star they said Southampton was looking to comeback but not heard anything since?

oh dear Southampton Saints wish they come back

3 hours ago, speed29 said:

Aldermaston Raceway got banger racing and stock car, they could have a speedway!!!.

Aren't they restricted to 14 motorsports events per year?

I remember reading about the Southampton thing but a couple of people said i was talking  when i mentioned it

Have a look at the Facebook page ‘Bring Back Southampton Speedway’. That seems to be the place where developments are reported and it appears that plans are proceeding.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Aren't they restricted to 14 motorsports events per year?

That was the case, and many more new requirements were laid down due to the Atomic Weapons Establishment opposite. I doubt you would permission for any racing there now it has lapsed (at least 5 years since it was used). The land was up for sale, not sure if it has now sold, but I know that the only interest in using it for racing was from those of us trying to get Reading back on track. 

• Like 1

There was Fleet Falcons was Cycle Speedway in 1955, i don't know if Fleet will make join as Speedway Team???.

Wasn't there some sort of a track at Ringwood once? Recall that Martin Yeates used to practice there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Wasn't there some sort of a track at Ringwood once? Recall that Martin Yeates used to practice there.

Yeah Ringwood Speedway 1937 to 1993 they called Ringwood Turfs, i think lot of Aldershot people missed Aldershot Speedway as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The track is still there but now tarmac and known as Matchams Park, used by stock cars, hot rods and bangers.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The track is still there but now tarmac and known as Matchams Park, used by stock cars, hot rods and bangers.

...and for which there is a planning application to turn the whole site into retirement housing and a care home!!

I would like to see speedway back in London, even if only, big one off events. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Matcham's Park held speedway style "Mini Longtrack" meetings from the late 80s to 1993. We went to the first meeting of 1993 (IIRC Ringwood v Rye House) only to be turned away at the entrance. Never got inside, although I'd seen F1 stocks there previously, but it seemed they had put a speedway type track around the outside of the stock car one but leaving the fixed car fence in place on the inside. Sadly a sidecar passenger had been killed hitting that fence during afternoon practice, causing the cancellation and I assume, an end to the whole project, as no bikes seen there since. 

In later years the complex was subject to a Great British Rip Off with people being charged up to £40 to enter a "Lapland Wonderland" leading up to Christmas. This included seeing 2 plastic polar bear models, several chained up huskies, labelled as wolves, and a "magic tunnel of light" made up of a few "Poundland" Christmas Tree lights, thrown over some garden netting. Santa was seen having a smoke next to the "state of the art" Portaloos before handing out potentially hazardous plastic toys to children who had queued for a couple of hours for the privilege. To top it all a naturally irate parent was seen punching an "elf" in frustration. Like at speedway tracks I assume they had an "Elf Warning" on display at the entrance.    

Regarding the possible return of speedway to Southampton, the stadium/track plans produced are amazing and professionally drafted, so it would be great if it happened.  Good luck to all involved. 

• Like 2