British Speedway Forum
Hilly

Oxford v Scunthorpe 13.04.22

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Heard it was reported that over half of tickets for next week have now sold and it’s expected to sell out before the day.

An interesting comment regarding the return of speedway at Oxford. Any estimate as to how many attended the meeting - more importantly how many were bona-fide actual local people? And how many tickets were/are on offer for the next meeting?

Edited by Guest

Good to see the Ox back.

Great to see Oxford back. Now for Swindon, Newport, Exeter, Reading etc :cheers:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Great to see Oxford back. Now for Swindon, Newport, Exeter, Reading etc :cheers:

...and Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all...!

2 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

An interesting comment regarding the return of speedway at Oxford. Any estimate as to how many attended the meeting - more importantly how many were bona-fide actual local people? And how many tickets were/are on offer for the next meeting?

Very much a local crowd. Long distance travellers tend not to book until they've seen a weather forecast (and by then Oxo had sold out). I think this meant quite a few Scunny supporters missing out on tickets.

Quick question - why was capacity set at 2000? Was it H&S; Covid-related; or simply a number set by the Promotion?

Only going on some of the photos I've seen there would appear to be scope to increase it?!

Congrats to the Cheetahs - welcome back.

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Quick question - why was capacity set at 2000? Was it H&S; Covid-related; or simply a number set by the Promotion?

Only going on some of the photos I've seen there would appear to be scope to increase it?!

I heard it was health and safety and there is still work being done on the stadium.

Was very impressed with what I saw last night, the money has been well spent.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

100% can't allow public into other areas of the stadium until it has passed H&S so the scope to extend capacity is there just a matter of time, its a shame on one hand it wasn't there for opening night but on the other hand those missing out will likely buy tickets first for the next one etc. I am sure all season they will see crowds of 2,000 plus its then all about when or if the novelty wears off

I think most clubs in this league or the so called Premiership league would bite your hand off for crowds of 2,000 a meeting whether it be a flash in the pan or the crowd numbers continue into the season, a few well attended meetings soon swells the coffers of any club and helps them thru the season, good luck to them and long may it continue i say.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinny said:

And Hull.  Gotta say, obv more hope for Swindon & Coventry as the venues still exist, well kinda in Coventry's case, but goes to show, tracks can and sometimes do return even at new locations. 

Very good news....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

Good to see the coverage that Oxford Speedway is generated. Local BBC + ITV coverage - this should be standard for the sport but an excellent effort at getting the sport promoted. Certainly the pits and grandstand from the videos look smart enough. Any new venue / club or attempt to promote should be applauded. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Match vs Poole next week has now soldout 

....and it is being streamed by BSN.

18 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

....and it is being streamed by BSN.

Isn't it great, a meeting available to be streamed yet it still sells out almost a week before

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Technik said:

The first meeting done & dust free (mostly).

Some good racing with places swapping on a regular basis. It would not be fair to find fault after all concerned put in a sterling effort. this was the first night & a lot was going on with all sorts of presentations the biggest of course the return of Hans Nielsen to Cowley. I think next week will be run swifter & hopefully in front of another big crowd.

Get your tickets early it could sell out again with the current champions on track

I recall that Oxford "Rebel" Dag Lovaas would put in an appearance if racing returned to Cowley?