British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow v Newcastle Championship - Friday 15 April 2022 7.30pm

Watched the stream last night and thought Newcastle were poor, couple of positives but not many. One thing that puzzled me was after the many tape offences the guilty riders just sat at pits gate, I saw no sign of the Newcastle team manager telling them what is happening or encouraging them !! Seems strange it's as if ALL the team is disjointed, if this is so, it's gonna be a very long season, that's if they survive, because as I see it a lot of diamonds fans won't like watching this team. And it won't encourage me to travel over from the west !!

I haven’t gone at all for the last 2 seasons for various reasons but I have put my hand in my pocket on several occasions last year for go fund me and I even bought online tickets knowing I wouldn’t be going but not this year ,the team at the start was well under the points limit and built for failure from the beginning and wasn’t the bright new start that everyone wanted to build on  the optimism of the end of last year,we haven’t reached 30 points away from home yet, weathers,wright,clegg are all hard working never give up riders but they need a leader someone who is going to win races home or away, starke is a decent heat leader the building blocks are in place 

There is a desire in Newcastle for the Diamonds to succeed, last seasons finale when all looked lost taught us that.  Every club has to operate within its budget and I know they have rent to pay on Brough Park but since Rob Grant took the reins the on site catering has been replaced with his food van and his food is delicious. I have been 3 times since Rob came in and its been hard to get anywhere near that van because the queue is long so the guy really does know what he's doing in his comfort zone but I can't help wondering if the profits are ploughed back Into the  club or if

he sees it as just another business opportunity.  Getting back to the level playing field surely the teams with their own catering facilities are generating a lot more revenue which means they can pay for better riders that in turn will bring  more bodies through the turnstiles. ( I definitely have any desire to criticise Rob Grant )

While mismatches like this do the sport no good , I have a long enough memory to remember being away supporting Glasgow on nights like that . 

Hopefully Newcastle can win enough of their home meetings to keep supporter interest , but with that team I can see a repeat of Mildenhall around 2008 . 

As for my lot , can't really judge on last night . Cook will never score an easier 15 point maximum , great debuts for Basso and Hume , solid scoring from Ostergaard , Brennan and Bailey . Broc Nicol was the only one who looked below par , and a drop to reserve beckons and might be the answer . 

I honestly don't see us losing at home this season , and three or four away wins will be enough to clinch a play off place . Be interesting to see how this team performs on their travels with an away baptism of fire at Leicester next week .

• Like 4

If we could acquire the services of a decent 8+ rider for all our home matches (ala Jason Lyons 2011) to guest while our no.1 is injured, would that work?,,, BWD could maybe help George out.

Think we were all a bit numb once the rumours surrounding Nigel Pearson were sadly confirmed last night . 

A good friend of Glasgow speedway , rest in peace Nigel , the sport will miss you , 52 is really no age .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Watched the stream last night and thought Newcastle were poor, couple of positives but not many. One thing that puzzled me was after the many tape offences the guilty riders just sat at pits gate, I saw no sign of the Newcastle team manager telling them what is happening or encouraging them !! Seems strange it's as if ALL the team is disjointed, if this is so, it's gonna be a very long season, that's if they survive, because as I see it a lot of diamonds fans won't like watching this team. And it won't encourage me to travel over from the west !!

You won’t see the team manger telling the team anything as he doesn’t know himself.pretty damn useless,sorry if that offends any useless people out there ..

Let's be fair...

Newcastle were set up to fail just by being in the 2nd Div...

They came to the party far too late and ended up getting what they could, which included those surplus to requirements elsewhere, or on assessed averages, or a rider that hadnt ridden for ten years..

All in all, what they have is all what they could have expected when riders are not capable of riding to the level of their specific position in the team.. 

Second Strings as Heat Leaders simply doesn't work, but given the lack of riders available, I am not sure Newcastle could have done more...

Saying "We need a No1 rider to take pressure off the rest of the team", is frankly, stating the "bleedin' obvious"... 

The more difficult issue is who that No1 rider is and how he can be convinced to drop other countries and come and ride in the UK..

People saying we didn’t know we were running etc and started team building late, we actually knew we were staying open on 24th September when some teams were still racing last season.

Teams like Birmingham actually did start building their team late, we didn’t.

We actually had 4 or 5 signed by end of October / start of November.

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

People saying we didn’t know we were running etc and started team building late, we actually knew we were staying open on 24th September when some teams were still racing last season.

Teams like Birmingham actually did start building their team late, we didn’t.

We actually had 4 or 5 signed by end of October / start of November.

I was just thinking where this late team building rhetoric for Newcastle came from. As I remember had 5 signed pretty quickly and were slow to fill last 2 slots. That's a totally different thing 

• Like 3

As bad as Newcastle were I quite enjoyed that, a few decent races. I'd imagine there'll be some good meetings at Glasgow when better teams go 

4 minutes ago, bruno said:

As bad as Newcastle were I quite enjoyed that, a few decent races. I'd imagine there'll be some good meetings at Glasgow when better teams go 

Always decent racing at Ashfield nowadays.

Watched the stream and thought Congreve's race pace was ok but he is woeful out of the start. His race is over by the 1st bend due to his trapping. If he can sort that out he may have a chance of making it.

5 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Watched the stream and thought Congreve's race pace was ok but he is woeful out of the start. His race is over by the 1st bend due to his trapping. If he can sort that out he may have a chance of making it.

Young riders needing guidance often rely on experienced ones to help them improve. That rarely happens in struggling teams as the riders are under pressure and become largely focused on themselves. With a bit of coaching he may well prove to be decent but its too early to tell.

• Like 1