British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow v Newcastle Championship - Friday 15 April 2022 7.30pm

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

A get what you say, but 'not announced' doesn't mean that deals aren't already done,,, maybe waiting for more appetising terms?

I give Richie only as an example, but I knew he was leaving Edinburgh and he had already signed for another club. Brummie's got Vissing and then got Ellis late, so it can be done it you get up early which we haven't these last 2 years. 

People can't say yes but we know we will have speedway this year, be happy with team initially and now criticise.Iit was never going to work being understrength again.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I give Richie only as an example, but I knew he was leaving Edinburgh and he had already signed for another club. Brummie's got Vissing and then got Ellis late, so it can be done it you get up early which we haven't these last 2 years. 

People can't say yes but we know we will have speedway this year, be happy with team initially and now criticise.Iit was never going to work being understrength again.

The main thing for us is the "Poland problem." Most riders above 8 want to do Poland, which rules us out of the equation before we start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

So no one would lend George a bike in heat 2 then he wasn't allowed into heat 9??? What's going in. Granty finally realise how weak we are??

Don't know the answer to the first question, but according to announcements at the stadium:- Heat 2: George excluded for exceeding 2 minute time allowance. He will start of 15 metre handicap. Excluded a second time for exceeding the fresh two minutes. When Starkey was excluded in heat 9, it was announced that he would be replaced by George, and a fresh 2 minutes was started. George was excluded for exceeding that two minute allowance again. Personally I would have put Lee in from the gate in heat 3, as no-one was seriously going to make any ground up at Glasgow from that handicap. Heat 4 there was no choice as we had already put Lee in instead of George. 

McGregor must have been on a promise on Friday as he was very quick with his finger on the 2 minute buzzer. For example, when Max hit the tapes in heat 3 the fresh two minutes was started before he reached the pit gate. Never mind that the pit phone is at the top of the ski slope. I reckon half the time allowance would be up before the ref had been told what option Newcastle were taking.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StevePark said:

The main thing for us is the "Poland problem." Most riders above 8 want to do Poland, which rules us out of the equation before we start.

Exactly and that's not going away anytime soon.

I know the Diamonds have no other option at Brough but Sunday is a prime day for leisure activity and we're the only team in the top two divisions who operate on a Sunday.  Crazy.

It's one of the reasons I keep banging on about the standard of the 2nd division reducing so that the majority of riders are UK based and able to race every night of the week. There'll then be the opportunity for more tracks to operate on Sunday or whatever their optimal race day might be.

But that won't suit the riders who want to ride 1st and 2nd division over here and whatever league in Poland/Denmark/Sweden etc. Some of them don't even get picked every week by their polish clubs.

There's more to it than just a Sunday though as I don't think many riders like the shape of the track and if you've always got the begging bowl out I guess riders will wonder if the club will last the season.

Of course one simple way of making No1's available to all this season would have been to restrict each team to one rider over an 8 point average. But that wouldn't suit those more desperate to win than see the sport prosper. Even if the Newcastle promoters find someone suitable to improve the team they'll have them over a barrel when it comes to negotiating terms.

Every successful sporting series/league is all about product and brand. Some like Premier League football can do without restrictions as the top teams generate most of the international interest.  Most motor sports have to have restrictions in place to make sure their product is competitive and exciting to watch.  Sorry Poole fans but nobody outside of Poole is interested in you winning the title. But they might be interested if it was exciting to watch them win it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ljriley90 said:

Couldnt believe my eyes watching ht2 when congreves bike conked out. Looked like he had no mechanic on stand by, not one team mate legged it down to help, no management. Dont know if thats due to the ramp at glasgow?

Looks like he has one bike. 

I feel he must have been a part of the bwd deal otherwise jack smith or ben morley wouod be better shouts. More experience and better machinery for starters.

Anyway drawn a line under away matches newcastle. At home is where you need to do your best work. Clegg, starke and wethers can all beat opposing heat leaders. Wright possibpy complin are mixing it with the 2nd string and reserves. Time to magic up anither number 1 if bwd is not staying around.

How about brady kurtz at 1?

Smith and Morley have been tried umpteen times in this league by various teams and haven't made the grade, at least Newcastle are trying something/someone different. 

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Newcastle should have went for an 8 pointer and honoured the contract with Archie, instead of being hijacked by signing BWD and his protege. I have highlighted that many times since all the signings were in, but I was told many times on here they were just happy still having a team. 

Still think that now ?

Archie Freeman!! A NL reserve who didnt score a point in the Championship last year? Thank god you dont pick the team 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Gotta tend to agree with you there Dave,,, but was there really any chance of an 8 pointer?

Well, we have got an 8 pointer, but unfortunately he's injured. 

More like 6.5 but assessed ,8

4 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

A get what you say, but 'not announced' doesn't mean that deals aren't already done,,, maybe waiting for more appetising terms?

From what I've been told his twin had already signed for Poole ( allegedly) last August ruff so your probably right on pre contract signed riders being  unannounced

Edited by Justgotmecpc

7 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

From what I've been told his twin had already signed for Poole ( allegedly) last August ruff so your probably right on pre contract signed riders being  unannounced

There's always an inner circle,,, am sure there was skullduggery going on well before the season finished? ;)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

Archie Freeman!! A NL reserve who didnt score a point in the Championship last year? Thank god you dont pick the team 

Archie was put in the team Purley as a learning curve last season which done him well & starting at reserve for the colts in the national League this year is a good move for him & hopefully come the end of the season he's in the main body of the team & stays there  & keeps improving in the right way without to much pressure put on him & I'm sure mark lemon will really look after him as he's the best person for young Archie in this part of his career 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Plus Poole couldn't announce anyone for ages because of the stadium rent situation. 

That's twice I've seen Ben Morley and Jack Smith mentioned, but no one mentions Connor Coles, who is better than both imo, especially at Brough. Ben Morley is alright, but I don't rate Jack Smith at all... And it's still too early for Archie, but I know Dave has been involved with him since he was little, so of course he'll be a little bit biased...

If Justin Sedgmen is coming over, get him signed for George and start looking for someone to replace BWD. Even if it's something like Ondrej Smetana or a new 4.00 Dane (the Basso signing of 2022 possibly?) Something different please... George Congreve needs a season of second halves around the country I think, if he can afford it...

What's Josef Franc doing these days, I bet he'd still be a solid rider, and what happened to Christian Henry's comeback, was it just a few rides in Aussie just for fun, or something more?? Dare I mention Davey Watt? :rofl: Just to trigger the older fans...

Ludvig would be ideal if he was truly there the other night...

1. Ludvig Lindgren

2. Matthew Wethers

3. James Wright

4. Max Clegg

5. Paul Starke

6. Lee Complin

7. Justin Sedgmen/Ondrej Smetana

3 hours ago, leander said:

McGregor must have been on a promise on Friday as he was very quick with his finger on the 2 minute buzzer. For example, when Max hit the tapes in heat 3 the fresh two minutes was started before he reached the pit gate. Never mind that the pit phone is at the top of the ski slope. I reckon half the time allowance would be up before the ref had been told what option Newcastle were taking.

Unnecessary and prolonged delays only succeed in irritating the paying public. If the rule is 2 minutes and they got 2 minutes whats the problem?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

George Congreve needs a season of second halves around the country I think, if he can afford it...

Not wanting to disrespect any of them, but Newcastle went thru a few no.7's last season. George has probably scored more points already than our 7's did as a collective last season?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Not wanting to disrespect any of them, but Newcastle went thru a few no.7's last season. George has probably scored more points already than our 7's did as a collective last season?

Of course, George is better than all of our number 7s last year I would agree... But so is Connor Coles and Justin Sedgmen... Better than George too, I wouldn't mind keeping George either tbh... But Brad has to go (if he hasn't already...)