British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow v Newcastle Championship - Friday 15 April 2022 7.30pm

58 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Always decent racing at Ashfield nowadays.

Only been the once, bit of a drive there and back. However it was a good meeting I saw and the place felt upbeat with plenty of youngsters . Hoping to get there again this year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

People saying we didn’t know we were running etc and started team building late, we actually knew we were staying open on 24th September when some teams were still racing last season.

Teams like Birmingham actually did start building their team late, we didn’t.

We actually had 4 or 5 signed by end of October / start of November.

Totally agree with you, also if Newcastle had gone for Sedgmen instead of Congreave, that would've put Wright at reserve & the team looks much more competitive!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Totally agree with you, also if Newcastle had gone for Sedgmen instead of Congreave, that would've put Wright at reserve & the team looks much more competitive!

Rumour has it that Sedgmen is heading back to the UK , so that could still happen 

Couldnt believe my eyes watching ht2 when congreves bike conked out. Looked like he had no mechanic on stand by, not one team mate legged it down to help, no management. Dont know if thats due to the ramp at glasgow?

Looks like he has one bike. 

I feel he must have been a part of the bwd deal otherwise jack smith or ben morley wouod be better shouts. More experience and better machinery for starters.

Anyway drawn a line under away matches newcastle. At home is where you need to do your best work. Clegg, starke and wethers can all beat opposing heat leaders. Wright possibpy complin are mixing it with the 2nd string and reserves. Time to magic up anither number 1 if bwd is not staying around.

How about brady kurtz at 1?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Rumour has it that Sedgmen is heading back to the UK , so that could still happen 

They'll need to tell him he's getting the sack before every meeting to get anything out of him!

• Haha 5

So hasn't BWD's shoulder injury still not recovered from 2019?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flappy said:

So hasn't BWD's shoulder injury still not recovered from 2019?

Not entirely sure but might be the injury he got at the GP qualifier last year?

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Newcastle should have went for an 8 pointer and honoured the contract with Archie, instead of being hijacked by signing BWD and his protege. I have highlighted that many times since all the signings were in, but I was told many times on here they were just happy still having a team. 

Still think that now ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Newcastle should have went for an 8 pointer and honoured the contract with Archie, instead of being hijacked by signing BWD and his protege. I have highlighted that many times since all the signings were in, but I was told many times on here they were just happy still having a team. 

Still think that now ?

Gotta tend to agree with you there Dave,,, but was there really any chance of an 8 pointer?

Well, we have got an 8 pointer, but unfortunately he's injured. 

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Gotta tend to agree with you there Dave,,, but was there really any chance of an 8 pointer?

Well, we have got an 8 pointer, but unfortunately he's injured. 

At the time several 8 pointers, including Richie Worrall, were not announced to have signed for anybody. Yes, we couldn't get a decent 8 pointer, but if you go in that late you have to take what others have left.

2 hours ago, ljriley90 said:

Couldnt believe my eyes watching ht2 when congreves bike conked out. Looked like he had no mechanic on stand by, not one team mate legged it down to help, no management. Dont know if thats due to the ramp at glasgow?

Can't say I've ever noticed anyone else struggle with that. It's only a 20 second run at most and the top is in easy hollering distance. They just weren't interested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

People saying we didn’t know we were running etc and started team building late, we actually knew we were staying open on 24th September when some teams were still racing last season.

Teams like Birmingham actually did start building their team late, we didn’t.

We actually had 4 or 5 signed by end of October / start of November.

But Brum dont ride on Sunday's...

A massive disadvantage when trying to negotiate with "decent riders" I would suggest...

If the "UK only" DU's are already signed up, (and they will be in great demand),  you have to go down the foreign rider front who invariably will have a place in Polands Div 2 and 3..

Maybe they should have just signed a rider who couldn't turn up most weeks and ran with Guests..?

Seem to remember Robert Lambert filling that particular role a few years ago...;)

A very small pool of riders of sufficient standard to pick from when you race on Sundays, regardless of what budget you have....

As, invariably, even the biggest budgets wont out do what Poland would pay..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

At the time several 8 pointers, including Richie Worrall, were not announced to have signed for anybody. Yes, we couldn't get a decent 8 pointer, but if you go in that late you have to take what others have left.

A get what you say, but 'not announced' doesn't mean that deals aren't already done,,, maybe waiting for more appetising terms?