British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

THE FIRST RACE I SAW

Wednesday, April 17, 1946. Challenge Match. New Cross 46 The Rest 37. Heat 1: Ron Johnson (New Cross), Phil Bishop (New Cross), Ron Clarke (The Rest), Jack Parker (The Rest, e.f), 61.8 seconds.

***What are your first race memories?

Edited by Guest
spelling error

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

My first race memory - WOW!!

...please? Who? When? Where?

55 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

...please? Who? When? Where?

Jack Biggs, Terry Betts, Bryan Elliott, Eric Boothroyd - 29 June 1963, WCQR

Monday June 17th 1968  Reading Racers v Nelson Admirals- only know 2 riders in it Nelson`s Fred Powell won it and Reading`s Dene Davies **

** Thanks to Arnie Gibbons excellent book " Tears and Glory"

Cant recall total line up but one was  Bill Kitchen

1st June 1985 - Belle Vue v Swindon at Hyde Road.

Morton, Simmons, Yeates, Blackbird (f).

Swindon v Ipswich 1974.

Ashby, Louis, Nygren, Leigh

Saturday 13th June  1964, Southern League Newport v. Long Eaton. Heat 1.

Alby Golden, Jon Erskine, Ken Adams, John Mills. A 5-1 to Newport and Alby broke the Somerton Park track record  at 68.4 seconds. I was sold on the sport. Jon  is the only one still with us.

Before I saw my first race live, I had followed speedway in the newspapers, in sports annuals and on television. My two favourite riders before I actually went to speedway were Split Waterman and Aub Lawson because I thought they had such romantic sounding names.

Anyway, on to my first race. It was at New Cross on 11 May 1960, a Britannia Shield match against Norwich. The race finished 1. Aub Lawson 2. Jimmy Gooch 3. Split Waterman 4. Harry Edwards. Time 61.6. How strange was that, eh?

Incidentally, with regard to John's initial post, Ron Johnson took part in the second half of my first match.

My first race.....New Cross August 19th, 1959......Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, George White, Cyril Brine.........Do I remember it? NO!

But my childhood hero was in it.....Peter Craven.

Think it was April 14th 1980

Crayford verses Young Sweden at London Road

Tommy Nilsson won the heat I believe - not sure of second swede, think the Kestrels pairing was Alan Johns and R/R Laurie Etheridge but that's a guess

Certainly remember the riders from the second meeting more - verses Nottingham Outlaws - Mike Sampson went thru the card for a 15 point full max

Looking at the date, if correct,  it was 42 years ago yesterday - off for a large G&T to get over the shock of that date ....

1960, Liverpool v Shefield

Bruce, Dodd, Skyner, Robinson (ns) 95.8

Can't remember it at all, but it may well have been the slowest race I've ever seen.