Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Edinburgh SGB Championship KO Cup 1st Rnd 1st Leg Sun 17 Apr 5.30pm

Newcastle management have embarrassed themselves by putting out a team that's not even competitive.

Look at what Birmingham achieved and they built that side on a budget whilst everyone else got a head start in team building.

Have to replace BWD, Complin & Congreve just to ensure the clubs safety because fans won't put in the cash for much longer when you consider the prices of petrol and house bills these days.

• Like 2

Diamonds 85 totally get your point, in the past I often decided in the morning I'd watch some speedway so took myself off in the car from Workington, enjoyed the crack at whichever track I'd go and go home. Now with the price of petrol and admission and food, I don't know when I will next see some speedway ( got GP tickets for Warsaw and all booked for Cardiff ) that's why I subscribed to the live stream service can get my fix that way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

To be fair it's been like this for years and years, for example look at last season Palin was thrown in at the very deep end and he coped pretty much fine on the whole even beating Bewley at BV who's brilliant around there. If the reserves are good enough they'll cope whereas ours aren't and that's the main problem. 

It's a simple fact for riders to progress and get better they need to be riding against higher standard riders.

But most reserves aren't good enough to beat Bewley at Belle Vue, so just because once in a blue moon someone is, doesn't mean all the 99.9% of the other reserves need to be thrown in the deep end too, which creates drawn out races with riders of completely different abilities at different ends of the track... It's insulting to the public... The reserves should race eachother and be challenged to beat the second strings... Not expected to beat number 1s... It ain't gonna happen most the time and it's boring to watch

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TTT said:

Newcastle management have embarrassed themselves by putting out a team that's not even competitive.

Look at what Birmingham achieved and they built that side on a budget whilst everyone else got a head start in team building.

Have to replace BWD, Complin & Congreve just to ensure the clubs safety because fans won't put in the cash for much longer when you consider the prices of petrol and house bills these days.

and replace them with whom? there just aren't enough riders available and that was obvious at the point the 2022 teams building rules were put in place.

Birmingham have done well but you wonder how much they're shelling out on Ellis and Vissing. Just to put 7 riders out.

2 minutes ago, Neila said:

Diamonds 85 totally get your point, in the past I often decided in the morning I'd watch some speedway so took myself off in the car from Workington, enjoyed the crack at whichever track I'd go and go home. Now with the price of petrol and admission and food, I don't know when I will next see some speedway ( got GP tickets for Warsaw and all booked for Cardiff ) that's why I subscribed to the live stream service can get my fix that way.

The price of living is too damn high at the minute to watch something you're not enjoying just to 'keep the club alive' I need to keep me and my family alive first and foremost, as does everyone else... At least make the speedway entertaining enough to sacrifice other parts of my life over the racing...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

But has there ever been a time where the 1s and 7s in the teams are so far apart ability wise? Sam Masters/Craig Cook/Charles Wright vs George Congreve/Henry Atkins/Nathan Ablitt... It's not a league, it's an open practice... As situations change, certain things need looking at, this includes the race format, stop living in the past!!

But that’s Newcastle’s Team building problem.Anybody who looked at Congreve and then looked at his New Zealand results and the standard of riders ,or seen him on Video would see that he was not Championship standard ,yet Granty bring him half way round the World.Granty has made some poor decisions regarding Team building,that’s the bottom line for me.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, enotian said:

and replace them with whom? there just aren't enough riders available and that was obvious at the point the 2022 teams building rules were put in place.

Birmingham have done well but you wonder how much they're shelling out on Ellis and Vissing. Just to put 7 riders out.

Sedgmen, Bates, Keleher, Maybe look for a new EU rider or get in contact with former Diamonds about a return.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diamonds85 said:

But most reserves aren't good enough to beat Bewley at Belle Vue, so just because once in a blue moon someone is, doesn't mean all the 99.9% of the other reserves need to be thrown in the deep end too, which creates drawn out races with riders of completely different abilities at different ends of the track... It's insulting to the public... The reserves should race eachother and be challenged to beat the second strings... Not expected to beat number 1s... It ain't gonna happen most the time and it's boring to watch

Yeah I get that but look at Flint, Brennan they coped pretty well too, like I say if you're good enough you'll be fine ours aren't. 

But I think our league should've kept the rising stars but like everything the bspa do they just come up with a plan stick with it for a season and that's it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Dont say that to Redcar fans as Jason Edwards is fast becoming the star of the show, leading opposition numbers 1’s for fun !

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

But that’s Newcastle’s Team building problem.Anybody who looked at Congreve and then looked at his New Zealand results and the standard of riders ,or seen him on Video would see that he was not Championship standard ,yet Granty bring him half way round the World.Granty has made some poor decisions regarding Team building,that’s the bottom line for me.

don't disagree but think he's been given a bum steer about building an asset base, hence the signings of Roynon, Wright, Complin and Congreve. Ultimately they'll all revert to BSPL ownership when he folds.

It certainly wasn’t “embarrassing” tonight. If Harris had scored his expected 10 and Complin another 4/5 from his fall and engine problems Newcastle would have won on the night. That said, we desperately need a #1 who will at least score double figures at home (best this season is 6) and a reserve to score at least 3 at home.

Right now I don’t care about away defeats. We need to win at home to keep the club going.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Completely agree... He's promised a lot, not really delivered and made some VERY strange decisions... But I'm not allowed to say that because without him there wouldn't be a team at all... Maybe that would be best, go out as legends known for Ole Olsen, Ivan Mauger and Nicki Pedersen, not whimper out known for Danny Phillips, George Congreve and Bradley Wilson Dean, the greatest number 1 of all time...

I mean... Just look at who we've got as team manager for christ sakes, could replace him with a plant pot and the same job would be done. No offence Steve, I've known you for years, but you're just as out your depth as George Congreve... I need to log off now before I make too many comments and enemies, goodnight folks. :t:

The end of this club started with the snubbing and thrown away attitude towards @TotallyHonestJohn What a shame... I don't think people realise just how much he helped out, and now that's all gone, we can barely stand on two feet... Come on Granty, YOU'RE A BUSINESS MAN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Dont say that to Redcar fans as Jason Edwards is fast becoming the star of the show, leading opposition numbers 1’s for fun !

I seen Edwards at I think the u19 final at Redcar a few seasons ago and he looked a very good prospect then he's got a great style and always looks in control on the bike.

I applaud Redcar for going with Jenkins and Edwards this season some of the reserves they'll face will be difficult but great for sticking with both of them.

Edited by bloom89
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, enotian said:

don't disagree but think he's been given a bum steer about building an asset base, hence the signings of Roynon, Wright, Complin and Congreve. Ultimately they'll all revert to BSPL ownership when he folds.

Don’t think he listens to advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TTT said:

Sedgmen, Bates, Keleher, Maybe look for a new EU rider or get in contact with former Diamonds about a return.

More disaster area's. Plus I don't think they can sign permit riders so just Bates. I don't think they'll need to open the back straight to accommodate the extra supports from that one. Not sure which former Diamonds are available to return? Lasse Bjerre, Ludvig Lindgren, Palovaara. Again not sure if they require permits having missed seasons. The promotion have said they are trying but the truth is there just isn't anyone.